French clubs in Europe 2012/2013

Discussion in 'France' started by Tsigalko, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    do you mean it will be a big blow if they lose or draw at home?

2. Tsigalko

Tsigalko Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    yea but I've already penciled that in, I just don't think they have the efficiency or sharpness to beat FCK 2-0 at home. We saw against Nancy last week-end how much trouble they had mounting any sort of threatening offense and in last years Champions League how they failed in a do or die match at home against Trabzonspor (and the choke against CSKA who put them in that position in the first place). I hope I'm wrong and stranger things have happened but as for now I'd say they have a 25% shot at best.

3. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    very true, I still think they can at least score one and push to win in extra time
    they do have an upcoming game vs Nice and we'll see if they have worked on offense vs Nice a team who can create chances just needs help in finishing
    Lille need to overcome this to really get into the next level of clubs, those that have regular CL and can still play well at home

4. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    0-0 for bordeaux, bit surprised with how many chances both teams had, a lot of players will be kicking themselves on both sides while the GKs will receive praise as they should
    OM won 2-1 away

5. Tsigalko

Tsigalko Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Well looks like I was wrong about Lille, a steady performance and they won 2-0 and qualified for the group stage. at worst they are now guaranteed 20M euro + the ticket revenue. I wonder if they got any signings planned with the extra money or plan to put it away for a rainy day.

Anyway, a big boost for the club to get to play champions league football the first year with the new stadium and all the positive momentum that surrounds it.

6. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  7. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    You guys were telling me how much better Nolan Roux is than Moussa Sow yet Garcia keeps starting De Melo over Roux and yes he finally delivered only after quite a few missed chances which could have wrapped things up much easier. Payet is so inconsistant and fustrating. Kalou and Martin are fine I think. I expect them to buy Ryan Mendes of Le Harve and buy a RB to replace Debuchy.

8. Tsigalko

Tsigalko Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    So tonight we have:

Olympique de Marseille - Sheriff Tiraspol 20:30 (2-1 aggr)
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux - FK Crvena Zvezda 20:30 (0-0 aggr)

As well as the Champions League draw at 17:45

Pot 1
    Chelsea
    Barcelona
    Manchester United
    Bayern Munich
    Real Madrid
    Arsenal
    FC Porto
    AC Milan

Pot 2
    Valencia
    Benfica
    Shakhtar Donetsk
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Schalke 04
    Manchester City
    SC Braga
    Dynamo Kiev

Pot 3
    Olympiakos
    Ajax Amsterdam
    Anderlecht
    Juventus
    Spartak Moscow
    Paris Saint Germain
    Lille
    Galatasaray

Pot 4
    Celtic
    Borussia Dortmund
    BATE Borisov
    Dinamo Zagreb
    CFR Cluj
    Malaga
    Montpellier
    FC Nordsjaelland

With Lyon, Marseille and Bordeaux not playing CL we got some bad seeding, If PSG can finish top 2, Lille top 3 and Montpellier get a few points I'd be happy with their performances.

9. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Yup, not having any teams in pot 1 or 2 sucks ass and will hurt us. I had no idea Juventus was in pot 3. Thats weird to see. Portugal has 3 teams in pot 1 and 2,:eek: geeze no wonder why they passed us.

10. Tsigalko

Tsigalko Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    yea it's a big advantage to have the same team to qualify for Europe each year so they can keep gaining coeffiecent points for their club seeding (Porto/Benfica/Braga/Sporting). France always have these random teams popping in and out like Touluse, Auxerre, Montpellier etc. which I guess speaks well to the unpredictably of Ligue 1, or how badly run our "big" teams are.

11. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Group A: FC Porto, Dynamo Kiev, PARIS SG, Dinamo Zagreb
    Group B: Arsenal, Schalke 04, Olympiakos, Montpellier
    Group F: Bayern Munich, Valencia, Lille, BATE Borisov

PSG very very lucky. They have a highest budget than the other teams in their group by far. Major flop if they cant get out of this group.
    Montpellier, too tough of a group. Probably will finish 3rd or last. It does remind me a lot of Marseille's group last year and they went through so who knows.
    Lille will battle Valencia for 2nd but Valencia will be favored.

I think most of us expected PSG to carry us in the Champions League. We have to hope we can pick up the slack in the Europa League.

12. Tsigalko

Tsigalko Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Decent draw for all teams, PSG avoided the group of death, Montpellier ended up in a group were they have a reasonable chance for taking points of each of the teams at home and Lille should at the very least finish 3rd.

13. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I feel all our teams should make an effort to get out their groups. It's more than possible for all three.

14. Tsigalko

Tsigalko Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Bordeaux and Marseille both qualified for the group stage, Marseille played a boring but stable 0-0 at home to go through while Bordeaux managed to qualify after some last second heroics, scoring a penalty in the 93rd minute after the serbs had equalized just minutes before.

All french team will be seeded in pot 1 for tomorrow's draw.

15. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    All the French teams are heading into the group stages, only 5 other leagues can say that. Even fewer can claim that all teams are in the best possible competition (Italy and Germany had teams fall to EL in the CL playoff).

16. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Montpellier has to have the smallest budget in its group. It will be very hard for them to duplictae their success of last year so perhaps they should focus on Europe over L1. Valencia is a bigger club than Lille, I will not dispute that but I need to see what happens to them before the transfer window closes to guage my confidence in them.

17. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Europa League

Groupe C : MARSEILLE, Fenerbahçe, Mönchengladbach, Limassol
    Groupe D : BORDEAUX, Club Brugge, Newcastle, Maritimo
    Groupe I : LYON, Athletic Bilbao, Sparta Prague, Hapoel Kiryat Shmona

18. Tsigalko

Tsigalko Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Pretty tough draws, especially for Marseille. On the other hand though I'd rather see a more packed (well as packed as is possible with the current re-construction) Velodrome vs Fenerbache or M'gladbach then an half empty one vs Rubin Kazan or Rosenborg.

19. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Marseille's group looks tough on paper but Marseille had little trouble with Dortmund last year and Dortmund is better than Mönchengladbach. Lyon's group looks a lot like PSG's year. I'd put Sparta Prague on a similar level with Salzburg. I like Bordeaux's chances a lot. Looking forward to them playing Newcastle.

20. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    My thought's on Lyon's group.

Athletic Bilbao were last years runners up, so you know they've taken Europa League seriously in the past. Everyone knows they (for now) have Llorente, as well as Muniain and a host of other talented players. Will be tough both home and away, but hopefully get the 3 points in Lyon and a point Bilbao

Sparta have a very talented team, although they lack in experience, of their 5 best players Krejci and Kadlec are 20, Husbaur is 22, Kweuke is 25, and Matejovsky is the veteran at 30. The backline is more experienced, but a bit suspect if pressed. They thoroughly outplayed Feyenoord in Praha though, the Dutch team not even getting a shot on goal until just before halftime. Will be a very tough match away, but I think in the Gerland should definitely be 3 points.

Kiryat Shmona I've seen a little bit of from Chapions League qualifying, they are a solid team, and kind of remarkable as they come from a rather remote and small city, though they'll play their home matches in Haifa. They'll put up a spirited fight, especially in Israel, though I still expect to win both matches against them.

AfrcnHrbMan and Samora repped this.
  21. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    but the upside is the EL seedings and for rating points the two competitions are just as important, something previous french clubs like rennes, lille and PSG never took into account.

marseille has the toughest draw on paper, like SB said, but there's no reason for them to have an inferiority complex facing either fener or m'gladbach and should aim for the top spot.

bordeaux and lyon will have a harder time winning their groups but you only need to finish second to go through and only bruges is a plausible threat to making that not happen.

i'm very pleased with OL's group. we get to measure ourselves against the team that was the most fun to watch in either cup last year, but the other two should be patsies.

22. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The Bilbao games will be very entertaining

23. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    hopefully tix won't be too expensive.

24. Tsigalko

Tsigalko Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Games this week:

Tuesday
    Paris S.G. - Dynamo Kiev 20:45 @ Parc des Princes, Paris
    Montpellier - Arsenal 20:45 @ Stade de la Moisson, Montpellier

Wednesday
    Lille OSC - BATE Borisov 20:45 @ Grand Stade Lille Metropole, Lille

Thursday
    Fenerbache - Olympique de Marseille 19:00 @ Şükrü Saracoğlu Stadium, Istanbul
    Bordeaux - Club Brugge 19:00 @ Stade Chaban-Delmas, Bordeaux
    Lyon - Sparta Prague 21:00 @ Stade de Gerland, Lyon

Five important home games + one very difficult road game, PSG and Lille probably under the most pressure to start off their campaign with three points at home.

25. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    on paper Montpellier has it the hardest ... i want to see them all win !!!! all french clubs that is....