Freddy Adu

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by LINETRASH, Jul 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Valdes is probably the most experienced, Novak got rid of everyone else and the Union won't pay for anyone too expensive.

2. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got back. Your analysis is very fair. No one was making off-the-ball runs and the offence was gawdawful simplistic. My point is that somebody who had no knowledge of our players would probably not pick out Freddy as the highest paid one.

3. unholyunion

unholyunion Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carroll is 34? He's most experience. Albright as well (not playing)...

yeeeaaaa...

4. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    I thought about that too. but Carrol seems more quiet on the field although and I figured Valdes time in his national team would add a little bit to that experience. either way, is not Freddy.

5. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Doesn't look like the Union's game (at least in this one instance) is set up to play to Freddy's strengths. All they did was kick the ball long for someone to run onto -- which isn't Freddy. It's odd.

I was surprised that Freddy wasn't taking the free kicks, for example. He was always talking to whoever did take them, but the other person wound up taking the kick. And they didn't score from them. I always get the impression that people want Freddy to be nice, and to be a "team player", rather than take control of the team. (general comment, not Union specific)

6. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a tall order to focus on playing to Freddy's strengths when already a good amount of energy goes to accomodating his weaknesses. I would say Hackworth is quite generous with what is expected of Freddy from the standpoint of making off ball runs and defensive contribution. Basically, he is allowed to trot around the field like he is a 33 yr old 215 lb holding mid waiting for the ball to come to him.

Union did have 84% pass completion. Certainly they did try to spring Hopenot and Mc a number of times. Freddy just needs to get himself forward at pace with the team to be involved more in the offensive end.

There were 4 free kicks that were within range of taking a shot (including the PK). Freddy took 2 of the 4.

Freddy delivers a nice dead ball but it isn't like he scores 10% of his free kicks or some big number. Even Beckham doesn't take every free kick. I would say Freddy overall takes the majority of freek kicks in the attacking end.

He doesn't play hard enough to take control of the team. He needs to be nice since his teammates are covering for him.

7. schanbacher321

Jun 27, 2007
    I personally think Freddy is just used to a different style of play at this point. If you guys watch him play for the national team he simply looks a lot better than he does on the union. He usually plays compact and finds and open player (he had some good threading passes against NE) and people on the national team are simply better at making runs than they are on the union, which plays better into his game. I don't think he's lazy and doesn't try, he is just used to a style of soccer where he doesn't NEED to run as much AKA let the ball do the work. If you watch him play with Roger Torres you'll see how well they work together

8. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    when did Freddy play last for the national team? Gold cup final under Bob?

Doop repped this.
  9. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brian Carroll is 31.................

10. unholyunion

unholyunion Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Close - confused him with califf.

11. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not 34 either.............:confused: It's just not your morning, I'll chalk it up to being Monday.:thumbsup:

unholyunion repped this.
  12. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he's thinking of Mondragon.

13. unholyunion

unholyunion Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mattylip and jaykoz3 repped this.
  14. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's correct. I don't believe he's been called up at all under Klinsmann.

What exactly are Freddy's strengths? I've seen him deliver some good long balls... usually in a US jersey.

Can he help break down an opponent that is sitting back in the final third? Usually he'll dribble into traffic, attempt a few step-overs, and get muscled off the ball by a defender.

He most of the corners yesterday IIRC. Not a single one of them resulted in a goal, although that probably has less to do with Freddy than it does with the lack of height of our players.

Although with Roger in the doghouse, it probably won't matter much at this point what he does; Adu will continue to play for at least the rest of the season.

15. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With all respect, though, your comments are exactly what makes Freddy frustrating. If everything is set up for him, he will look brilliant. The formation has to be a 4-4-1-1 or 4-4-2 diamond so he can play in the middle of the park and control the game. If he plays a wide position and can beat (or feels he can beat) his man, then he looks spectacular (see Toronto). If he plays wide and can not beat his man, then he is useless (see KC Open Cup). And frankly, he often is not in a good position to receive passes from his teammates.

Again, nothing to prevent him from being a useful contributor to the Union, but not at a DeRosario or Morales salary level.

Handsome Pete and BuddhaWake repped this.
  16. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, right, my bad. Surely, then, he was confusing Carroll with Walter Bahr.

unholyunion repped this.
  17. unholyunion

unholyunion Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Granted... if everything was set up for anyone... anybody could look brilliant....

or flub it... they usually flub it.

18. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Overall, Freddy had a poor game last night. He looked slow and out of sorts and his free kicks were mediocre.

BUT, he stepped up when it counted and converted the PK. I would gladly accept a generally lackluster performance from a player when he also directly affects a goal almost any day. (See, e.g. McInerney, Jack, July 29, 2012.)

G-Ho Blue repped this.
  19. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder if that's the best the "BEAST" can do ...

Handsome Pete repped this.
  20. riot71

riot71 Member+

Dec 11, 2003
    New Jersey
    I think he was also.talking.about the under 23 team

21. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    maybe unleashed to a larger cage.

22. R1PP

R1PP Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Swarthmore, PA
    He didn't have a great game, but it is tuff when the defense is bypassing the midfield with all those long balls to Hoppenot.

23. LINETRASH

LINETRASH Member+

Jul 19, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The long balls are getting frustrating and besides, when we do hit Hoppenot or Mcenerney, they dont control it or just give it away. I think the midfield and back line need to be more patient in our attack. We force a lot of passes to unopen players and then we get hit with counters.......we need to be more careful with our possession. I would rather see a long ball to an area than to the man directly, put pressure on the defender to make a play.....usually they kick it out and now we have a throw in deep in their end.

24. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freddy is neither an All-Star nor a scrub. He has value and limitations. As to a couple of questions various people brought up, this is how I see it (and I could be wrong)

Last night vs the Revs, the Revs where playing a high back line mostly because of Adu and Marfan. They wanted as much pressure to try and prevent them from being a playmaker near the goal. That is why there were a decent amount of balls played deep hoping Jack or Hop could run on to it. You take what you are given from a team.

As to Free kicks, I think we have a couple of players that are decent at them. Gomez has scored on several already this year so I have no problem with him taking them. Marfan took one last night that was just over the bar and was a good attempt. Then there is Freddy, he is decent but I can't remember him scoring from one. As far as corners go, I think the fact that none of our forwards were over 5'7 hampers us considerably. We had nobody that could get up and get after the ball, to this I think Pajoy is the only forward with decent height and he isn't that tall either. Maybe when Soumare finally plays he can help in that regard as he is 6'4.

Also, when comparing his national play vs his club play for the Union there is one huge thing to consider. In MLS Adu sees a lot of extra attention because teams don't want him to have the ball, on the National team there are better players around him and he is not the focal point which allows him more freedom. There have been plenty of times this year I have watched two defenders shadow Adu and as soon as the ball was played to him they converge.

celt1997, R1PP and jaykoz3 repped this.
  25. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States