Freddy Adu

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by LINETRASH, Jul 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you get rid of Freddy and he's back in Europe. Please.

2. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, because we're all philistines that don't appreciate his undeniable talent. Watch the man every game. He isn't the second coming of Maradona. He isn't even the second coming of Donovan. He is a good, not great player. Same as he would be in Europe.

3. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. Really, he produces and should be paid about the same as Justin Mapp. Anyone else remember that mazey run Mapp made with Chicago when he sliced through the opponent's defence?

<rant>Since this thread has started to attract the USMNT regulars, I have to say it is pathetic to read that folks only watch MLS for Adu or Donovan. Quadruply so in the case of the Union. The Farfan brothers can produce the same kind of jaw-dropping moves that Freddy does. Okugo is blossoming as a defender and will likely be a regular USMNT DM or defender. And MacMath has more potential, IMHO, than Hamid or Johnson. It's like the New York fans who turned up their noses at the Metrostars/Red Bulls even though they had Howard, M. Bradley, Altidore, and Agudelo, and were coached by Arena and B. Bradley.</rant>

4. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. I like Adu both as a person and as a player, but he's overpriced for his performance and people resent him for that. For his price tag, the team could bring in 13 Antoine Hoppenots, 12 Gabe Farfans, 5 SheanonWilliams, 3 Amobi Okugos or a partridge in a pear tree.

It's no different from resenting the person at your job who receives a far greater salary while performing the same or less work as you.

5. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    watch out or soon all that will be posted will be "soccer IQ this, soccer IQ that, soccer IQ, soccer IQ blah blah blah" ad nauseam.

Handsome Pete repped this.
  6. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like this comment on Marfan:

Has he even watched Marfan play? He's our most productive and consistent offensive player. Remind me who was selected for the ASG again? Le sigh, if only Ben Olsen could appreciate Freddy's genius.

7. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    I missed that one. but yeah. you are right on point. dude is a troll with his head up Adu's ass looking for peanuts.

8. R1PP

R1PP Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Swarthmore, PA
    Doesn't this happen at the time in other sports leagues? Freddy could be seen a number 1 pick that will always have his salary inflated due to that position. I just don't get why salary matters all that much...just like anyone Freddy took the best salary he could get. Blame the organization, even blame MLS , but I think we got the Freddy we all know...an enigma who has up and down games. I still think he has a high ceiling and would probably be helped to have better strikers on the Union.

9. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better strikers paid for with part of his salary? :)

BuddhaWake repped this.
  10. schanbacher321

Jun 27, 2007
    Yeah maybe we could have 13 whoevers but there is only that one roster spot. I'd rather have 1 adu than 1 hoppenot or 1 garfan. You can't really look at it like that because sure if we could have 13 hoppenots playing at once and only taking up 1 spot that would be great, but honestly hoppenot is not nearly as valuable as adu. Also, Adu is an american which increases his value as he doesn't take up an international roster spot. I really don't think this is a huge issue.

11. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    there is already an open roster spot. so it would be 2 roster spots available and 1 of those could be international. 2 consistant players at $3k is better than 1 Adu cashing in on potential rathen than consistancy for the same price.

12. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The point is that you get $2.8M or so of league money to spend and then the team pays on top of that. The more that is spent on one player, the less can be spent on others. Therefore, it is extremely important to look for value. To date, Adu has not provided enough value for the amount spent on him. I agree that he is an important part of the team, but I wonder whether he could be replaced by someone less expensive which would free up money to improve at another position.

13. Drippingmilk

Drippingmilk Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Big and fast, the solution to all of Major League Soccer's problems.

14. DaMunk

DaMunk Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Philadelphia/STX
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    US Virgin Islands
    When is his contract up? The U could simply put an offer in the table that matches his performance and allow him to test the market. I've come to like him, but I would have no problem seeing him go.

I always figured he came back from Europe with his tail between his legs and saw MLS as an opportunity to "show and prove" he deserves a paycheck from a relevant European club. After 9 years as a professional are clubs still willing speculate on his "potential?"

15. LINETRASH

LINETRASH Member+

Jul 19, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure what you mean, but we can't really put crosses in to Hoppenot or Jack M........Pajoy seems a lot like Mwanga, its not like he is gonna battle anyone for a header........a good mix of physicality and speed upfront would help I think

16. SmashtheVan

SmashtheVan Member+

Jan 13, 2009
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except he scores.

BOOM!

17. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every team he's been on, the franchise fanbase has supported all it's players including Adu. You guys hate Adu. You never liked him from day 1. Your team isn't fit around someone of his skill-set anyway. I really don't think you guys would win that any games without him and you barely win with him it seems. I would rather he goes to the Turk Liga or La Liga and have a great career there. This isn't the league for him and never was.

18. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll give everyone 1 guess (not too hard due to the title of the thread) as to who was the ONLY Union player during the MLS All-Star celebration to be more than 20 minutes late to their autograph signing...and then waltzing in like nothing was the matter.

If I were Microsoft, I'd be cutting his paycheck for his endorsements after yesterday's stunt. Guy thinks his crap doesn't stink, when what has he really ever done?

19. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Come on celt, with all the cute blonde girls aroud he was probably stopped every 5 feet before he made it to the tent.
    What I would like to know and many of you probably wouldn't care about it but were were all the latin players for the union at? no one wanted them at their tents? I mean, not even Torres and he is a fan favorite. That's dissapointing to me and to the guys i went with ( and his kid) because it would have been nice to chat with some of our own. But like I said doubt anyone here cares.

20. Doop

Doop Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People like this is why the MLS doesn't have any teams in the southeastern US.

Who knew it pays more to be bilingual? It sucks, but if I'm a sponsor at an event and expect 90% of the fans speak english, I'm going to make sure that whatever talent I have at my booth can connect to the majority of visitors to the booth.

21. unholyunion

unholyunion Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cause they don't even go to their OWN major league teams, unless they are winning?

College town is all i gotta say.

Doop repped this.
  22. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    so I guess with this argument for baseball events only the front office shows up? HAHA. just busting your chops. But not even for El Jimador? they are probably own by coke for all I know. Plus there were plenty of spanish speaking fans all over. They do go to union games and other MLS games for other teams. But like I said, I wouldn't figure anyone here would care.

unholyunion repped this.
  23. unholyunion

unholyunion Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I care... and it really doesn't matter what language the player speaks... if the fans love him, pander him.

BuddhaWake repped this.
  24. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Untrue. Zac MacMath was at least 20 mins late to his 5 PM appearance as well. And Freddy WAS coming from an appearance elsewhere, was he not?