Freddy Adu to Blackburn?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Aduesque, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once more, I am reminded of how happy I am that Freddy plays soccer in the United States. So happy. Please stay there, Freddy.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  2. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He actually didn't do so bad at Aris. While he didn't carry the team on his back, he contributed many great moments, earning PK's, scoring some nice goals, really good assists, and all were against pretty big teams.

Downside was his consistency. He'd kill it vs. BIG teams but against the bunker and play rough teams... played bad. Aris didn't like his salary, and did what Philly did to him. We aren't going to have you integrate into the team for your second year on your contract unless you change it. They were locked in, and financially couldn't afford to pay him as much (would have been one of the higher earners on the team), therefore they stiff armed him and he left on bad terms. Much like Philly, they didn't like his salary, so he had to go.

3. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

4. jclampit

jclampit Member

Apr 12, 2002
    I was probably his harshest critic when he was at Aris. Some may have even miscategorized me as a hater back then, when I was actually still a huge fan. (I was just a disappointed fan.)

But even I saw that he was clearly starter material in Greece. Negative hyperbole aside (positive obviously exists too, but at the moment - having just been cast aside yet again - the negative is generally and naturally dominant), he's clearly good enough to start in MLS too.

He's just not worth each league's respective DP level wages (and may never be unless certain things <insert favorite hypothesis here...you all know mine> change). And he may have enough baggage (exaggerated or not) that you'd prefer someone else even at a more standard wage.
    Might Lazarus/Frankenstein rise? According to wikipedia, non-Premiership UK clubs *can* bring in players on loan if they're brought in b/w Feb 8 and March 24, no? Thus, while I'm sad to crush Skevin's dreams, I am glad to report that SuperDave can still hold out the possibility of being simultaneously horrified yet intrigued. :)

5. alocksley

alocksley Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Let's be real about this. The reason Freddy doesn't have a team right now is because of his contract, not because he isn't a useful player. Do you honestly think he would be in this position if not for his salary? Taking a pay cut may be his only option right now.

6. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Oh without a doubt. If Freddy wanted less than Designated Player money, I am sure a few MLS clubs would try to sign him. Philly surely would have kept him for lower pay.

bornsteinforlife and jclampit repped this.
  7. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Backing into my jokes is verboten.

8. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Philly tried to renegotiate the contract, but Adu wanted none of that. Now they have little choice but to search for someone willing to take that salary off their books before the season. Apparently there aren't many interested parties.

9. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Friedel'sAccent I innapropriately touch myself anytime I see a new Freddy thread.

I am putting on a raincoat now to go on a walk.

Btw, in all honesty, the Union are fckng awful.

Please go to Blackburn Freddy! I shall pray for it and ask our lord Mathis to deliver.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  10. manoa

manoa Member

Aug 16, 2005
    there are palm trees
    I fear that it's not just that he signed a contract for/wants/expects X money, but that he perceives that as being a salary commensurate with his talents, resume, and stature/status on team X. The message from Hackworth, along with the proposed pay cut was 'You're fighting it out with Roger Torres for playing time, who, btw, I told needs to get fit or get going'. So even if Philly picks up 4/5ths of the tab, if he sees himself in such a way that if he's not starting every game in his preferred position he's not happy, I'm not sure who wants that, even at 125K.

**asks for forgiveness of contributing to the massive Adu drift swirling around the central Pacific

Doop repped this.
  11. jclampit

jclampit Member

Apr 12, 2002
    Perfectly logical take. Who wants a disruptive force on your squad? If you're replaceable, your attitude ought to be...excellent (if you want to remain on the squad).

One big potential difference is if, as is my understanding, the Union got Freddy to pick them by saying they'd be the team that would finally play him as a CAM. Past teams didn't make that promise, and he seemed to fall in line. Another difference: other teams aren't as young.

Imho, if a guy like Hyndman told Freddy "sign with us, no promises", you wouldn't hear about Freddy's stature in the locker room or effect on young guys being persuaded to buy into a different program than the one Freddy prefers. In other words, my guess is that Hyndman isn't afraid of Freddy Adu and his influence, because: (a) he simply wouldn't have any, and (b) he'd be more likely to simply fall in line w/o explicit promises being made and then (justified or not) rescinded.

Four Union guys (pre-purge) played w/ or coached Freddy in DC, and thought enough of him to bring him in (even if he *did* think he was Pele before guys like Eskandarian told him to shut up and carry the veterans' bags). While this implies that his capacity to disrupt locker rooms is overstated, there is still smoke, and smoke = risk (let someone else find out if there's fire). More to the point: even if Freddy's more likely to fear a Hyndman than the other way around, the question remains: why bring in *anyone* who you know will be unhappy when other options are available?

What others are saying, I think, is that, yes, you may be right, but *someone* will still take a chance on him anyway (implying that most - but not all - would pass). *Someone* will remember him shredding NYRB or Toronto or some national team, and think that they're both smart enough to handle him the right way (resulting in a bit more consistency in his play) and strong enough to not have anything to fear from him (ask Hyndman if he fears Freddy and I suspect he'll either laugh his a$$ off or give you a look that makes you afraid of him :)).

We'll see if they're right. Doesn't seem to be too many takers at the moment... So maybe you're right. :) (Of course, there are plenty of other reasons not to sign him, even if he is affordable, that have nothing to do w/ whether he'll be happy. So who knows...)

manoa and TimB4Last repped this.
  12. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well transfer windows are closed, if hes going anywhere its another MLS team. there may be one coach that gives him another chance if Phili bites the cap bullet. But that will be it, freddy will be playing for a contract for that team that gives him a chance, and even if he does well it will probably be of the 80-100K variety, and he should be grateful for it.

13. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok folks, we already have another thread in US Men where the usual folks have been rehashing the same Freddy things they always debate. The transfer windows are closed, there are no international sourced rumors, and so I don't see any reason to keep this thread open. If you'd like to continue debating the same Freddy stuff that's been done to death on BigSoccer, allow me to direct you to US Men. Thanks.