Freddy Adu Breaking News

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by Sonicspride, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Decent Guy

Decent Guy New Member

Mar 22, 2003
    Outside NY
    Freddy to Chelsea could be very bad, and not just because I hate them.

I doubt it is good for a young star to be at a club of so many people with so many egos and no one really in charge, eventually things will probably begin to get ugly.

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    :rolleyes:

It's not MLS's choice to make.

3. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Email MLS (quick!) That's all you can do.
    Perhaps if they get enough upset people they'll up the ante a bit but Chelsea has a lot of pounds and could care less about soccer in the US or MLS.

4. Sonicspride

Sonicspride New Member

Jul 20, 2003
    Let's see if England home office give him work permit.

5. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

No shit, but you've got a kid with an overprotective mother who doesn't want her baby straying too far from home. And it just so happens he lives in one of your markets and has regularly trained with the club. How could you screw this up?

6. worldsoccer-Jeff

Mar 4, 2000
    Atlanta

Looks like some "source" at Chelski leaked some news to the Mirror that 1) they want Freedy, 2) they have made an offer to him for 3 mil, and 3) their hand is improved due to Keyon's move to Chelski.

The rest is creative reporting. Just what I think.

We could wake up in the morning with Adu at Stanford Bridge, or we could just as well write it off as Freddy hype.

7. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this was a work permit issue then it would be an automatic turn down followed by a successful appeal.

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Well obviously the "overprotective" mother doesn't really care if he "strays" too far from home, does she?

9. Sonicspride

Sonicspride New Member

Jul 20, 2003
    That's why it's not a good idea to start his career overseas.

From Ghana to Michigan after 5 years then to London?!

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Just like Howard and Convey. :p

11. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    With the national team you mean? That's a whole other animal. He's getting an education and would come home. Going to Europe and staying there is totally different.

12. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

You mean DC, don't you?

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Right. Maybe she isn't that protective, and maybe she doesn't care. Perhaps the "stay at home" was just a ploy to bilk a big European club out of more money. Afterall, Freddy is gifted academically, too. I'm guess his smarts came from Mom. It's just business. MLS was never in the game. MLS can't pay the ante.

14. Sonicspride

Sonicspride New Member

Jul 20, 2003
    DC it is. Prabably the best team for his development, not Chelsea.

It's all about geographical differences and away from home.

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    And 7 years, not 5, but who's counting?

16. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. Totally different. In this case he obviously wouldn't have the caps so he gets rejected but Chelsea would be able to argue that his talent would be an addition to the quality of football in England in the (near) future. That his skills of a level that warrants signing him.
    They would not likely argue with Chelsea on the point of his being a quality player.
    BTW: I posted before Convey's rejection that I thought he would lose the appeal.

17. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

If any part of this is true, this is a HUGE failure for domestic soccer in the US, and soccer in the US in general. There is just no other way to spin it otherwise, MLS would've found a way to capitalize, and it didn't.

18. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Okay, you write the check. It's just not that simple.

19. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I wasn't born on the turnip truck.

MLS and its investors would have found a way. I don't know what it is, I don't control the money, but an endeavor is always impossible until it isn't. Simple or complicated, there is always a solution.

20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, but at what cost? Seriously, there are ramifications of writing a big check for a 14 year old that go way beyond that check. If Lamar, Phil, and Robert don't write that check, I assume there's very good reasoning. Trust me, they know who Freddy is. Freddy came up in my April interview with Lamar.

If Freddy really wanted to play in MLS, there would've been a solution. Chelse, ManU, Real Madrid, can all write bigger checks than MLS can.

21. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It never hurts to email MLS.. They actually read them.

http://www.mlsnet.com/about/league/contact_thanks.html

22. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Then, that's the game. MLS will never be much more than it is now.

Those are the ramifications.

23. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this is true, we still don't know that MLS is not involved in some way such as his agent and Freddy asking for a load deal to MLS for a period. That is still something that was perhaps part of the deal to make everyone, including Freddy's mom happy.
    Not saying it's the case, of course, but if a deal is signed we still need to wait and see what happens.

24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    And that's oversimplification. Just because MLS can't write a bigger check today doesn't mean that 10 years from now they can't.

If Freddy Adu wanted to play in MLS, he would have. Last time I checked, you can't make someone do what they don't want to.

25. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

But then, the prophecy will never come true.......

*sob*