Freddy Adu: An American in Aris [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by VAMOS ARIS, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vegalta_Sendai

Feb 14, 2000
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyway, in regards to soccer, I think this is a great move for a few reasons:

1. EJ is there. As EJ already said, he's a Grown-Ass Man. He doesn't play video games or any of that nonsense. :) He's also 25, which may not seem old, but it's a world of difference compared to 20. Hopefully EJ can help Adu just by being a fellow American there, and keep him grounded, but also upbeat.

2. As the Aris fans have stated, Aris plays a latin-american style. *Perfect* for Adu's game. They've also said that Greek defenses are ruthless. This is good as well, as it will hopefully help develop his toughness.

3. Aris fans seem to be freaking awesomely passionate. :) This will be a huge change from Monaco and Belenenses, where you wouldn't be able to tell the score by the (non) sounds coming from the stands. This may not be the Premiership, but I've always heard players say it's a lot more exciting to play in front of passionate fans who *care*. This will give Freddy the feeling of big-game matches and pressure to win.

All in all, I am very happy with this move, and hey, at the very least, maybe I can learn the letters of the Greek alphabet because of this. :)

Go get 'em, Freddy!

2. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    "Ahh-reece"

The greek tongue pernounces words like we would in spanish.

3. mich-3

mich-3 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Athens
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    that's where you are wrong...

In this club its all about the club itself...

the owner is the fans itself...

get a good look at the owner...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQovHKmRflE"]YouTube- Aris Salonika - H polh tou Theou[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbJZ8T0tsrI"]YouTube- Aris Salonica - Boca Juniors ? The Ring of FIRE[/ame]

:cool:

it's not about money...

4. wooglin12

wooglin12 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I can't see that without posting this

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkOP0CBKtPw#t=30s"]YouTube- Venture Bros. Mars Bringer of War[/ame]

5. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    very funny ...:D

6. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fans always think it's about them...it SHOULD be.

And Ownership (and players) will tell the fans it's all about them.

AND a good ownership pleases it's fans with attractive soccer, WINS, and stars (if possible).

But at the end of the day it is a business.

7. Digs

Digs Member

Sep 9, 2007
    It was stated Aris is owned by the fans.

So it truly is a different situation.

8. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is actually an interesting point.

If the fans "own" the team can they force their favorite players onto the field?

And what makes a fan "ownership" any less volatile than the alternative?

9. babieca

babieca Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think you get it. Or maybe you are being obtuse.

The team is actually owned by the fans not by an individual or ownership group. The fan club members own shares of the team and vote for management.

10. mich-3

mich-3 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Athens
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    exactly...

:cool:

The last president (who was the first one elected by the fans with this procedure) was voted to leave after failing to follow the growing stature of the club...

You might not be able to understand how it works, but barcelona has always been a club with a members club...Every president has to answer to the members club if he makes a big move as to why he did it...

11. Digs

Digs Member

Sep 9, 2007

I don't think it does. I just think it's harder to say, "it's all business." I doubt most fans who own a share are in it for the money.

12. VAMOS ARIS

VAMOS ARIS New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Salonica
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Lol:eek::confused:

Do you know Real Madrid, Barcelona, Fener?????
    i sopuse that you do.

We have the same model with these teams

13. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The fans have power, but I think they are smart enough to leave it in the hands of the DT, and his assistent and others around him! ;)

We all know what can happen to a team if the owner tries to do his things, aka the NFL, Dan Snyder! LOL

14. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The most encouraging thing to me is that this is an 18 month loan. Aris has a real incentive now to work him into the team and develop him in any way he needs it because they'll have him for this season and next.

I wonder how many times this year the decision came down to "Freddy or the other guy? But the other guy will still be here in 6 months, and next season..."

15. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am actually being acute. ;)

I'm aware of the model and of a number of teams all over the globe who use this model.

But everyone has taken this off topic. It seemed to be implied that because the fans of Aris own the team that will improve Adu's chances to play. I don't see how that is true. Someone explain THAT to me.

Edit: I say "It's all business" in the sense that winning = good business for everyone. If (in the managers opinion) Adu doesn't help this team win then I don't see how the fan's ownership of the team puts him on the pitch.

16. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Oh to be starting over from scratch at 20...

Imagine the possibilities...

No, don't it's depressing...

17. aris-salonica

aris-salonica New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Salonica, Greece
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Allow me to quote myself. Perhaps what I wrote previously in EJ's topic may help you understand what is really about.

We elect the president and the Board of Directors, but we don't MANAGE the team. Professional executives do. We just pack the stadiums, home and on the road, and we are shouting for 90 minutes, to encourage our players.

We just evaluate the achievements of the administration every 2 years, by re-electing it or voting for someone else.

Back on Adu...

The fact that we are very optimistic about the prospect of Adu playing in Aris does not necessarily mean that he will actually fulfill all our ambitions. We just hope that, 'cause we will definitely be -that's for sure- the most enthousiastic environment he has ever played before -- at least in Europe.
    And since I saw you had a big "conflict" about the pronunciation :p, let me post a video.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2ucaKLBWoo"]YouTube- ????-GAYros 1-0[/ame]

It's from the last home -victorious- game against Olympiakos. Listen after 08:53, when we shout the name of the team. Perhaps, it's the best and clearest form of what it really sounds, when shouted by 23.000 fans. Of course, the best way to hear crystal-clear is the link posted above http://www.forvo.com/word/άρης#el.

Btw, watch the whole video - it's good. ;)

18. mich-3

mich-3 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Athens
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    ok let's suppose you are aware of the model and how it works...

tell me exactly where someone has implied that the fans interfere in the coaches business?

Adu will be on the pitch (at least it looks like that way) if coach Cuper is pleased with his effort and his fitness, since Adu was #1 choice to be transfered.

I can't really explain it better than that...:confused:

19. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    I'll play..

As this is a fan owned team, having signed a player for 1.5M they will expect to see him on the field. They will want to see a return on "their" investment and won't sit by while 1.5M is spent for a spectator. Because it's a fan owned team the idea that this type of player is not playing will be questioned but unlike non fan owned teams, these questions have teeth. This is not to say a player who does not deserve to play will, only that the fans will expect to see the proof of ability to play or not on the pitch not behind a veil of secrecy.

Sorry if the though of Adu being in a good situation upsets you, you'll get over it.

20. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    So is that how much they are paying for his loan? 1.5million? So 500k for each half year? 1.5 year loan deal?

21. HatTrickHero411

Jan 20, 2008
    Screwston, TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks again to all the aris supporters that have given us great insight into the club. please forgive some of the more abrasive posters who might argue just for the sake of arguing with you until you are frustrated. most of us do not want you to leave the board because of technical difficulties.

koko, is it really necessary to argue with people from aris about their club structure on a thread about adu's club performance? they obviously know more than you about their own club culture and history.

22. mich-3

mich-3 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Athens
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    I really doubt that...

23. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Also, just watched the whole video above! Every american should be be so lucky to be with a club that passionate and crazy! I am sure he will have stories to tell to teh USMNT after this! Hopefully more yanks will follow to Aris!

I also lvoe how they adopted the argentine trumpet, drum and cymbols "Dale Dale, Dale Dale Dale Dale OOOOOOOO" Song, its soooo bad ass!

Its done here in DC for DC United, but isnt the same without the instruments.

24. Vegalta_Sendai

Feb 14, 2000
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, didn't they have to get rid of 2 foreign players to get EJ and Adu? To me, that's almost begging them to be played. I mean, why take up a foreign player spot with a player you're not going to use?

25. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yea, they probably worked something out. I hope aris ends up buying adu after this!

Also on how to say the club name its:

Its "AHHH-REECE"