Freddy Adu: An American in Aris [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by VAMOS ARIS, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do they introduce Adu to the media today?

2. crew92

crew92 Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Pripyat, Ukraine
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if freddy destroys the greek league does he go to Manchester United or Barcelona? ;)

3. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Yeah, Freddy will go to Man Utd after Michael Bradley does. ;)

Actually, Anderson is a good example of how we hope Freddy doesn't get "ruined." Formerly an exciting attacking player, Anderson has worked on everything many US fans want Freddy to. He's stuck in as hell, knocking people down, chasing everything, and can't get knocked off the ball. Unfortunately, he can't attack any more!! One goal there in years of playing. That's what happens when you turn a Brazilian into an English player. Former Anderson fans must hate Man Utd.

4. aris-salonica

aris-salonica New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Salonica, Greece
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    No, they haven't yet.

I think that's gonna happen tomorrow or on Wednesday.

5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Players do well and then move up. If Adu does well Aris will do well and Adu will move up whether it's to Barcelona or Hannover.

6. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, but it isn't all what Man Utd have done to him. He seems to have lost a step somewhere along the way. He just isn't as explosive looking against top level guys as he was when playing in youth tournaments or lesser leagues.

7. nick_3f

nick_3f Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    There is no way Aris FC to make presentation of Adu til Wednesday. At Wednesday we play the top match of the Greek Cup which is our first goal for the season. Its a knockout match so we can qualify to the quarter finals. Everyone needs to be focused on this game.

8. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Do you mean "no way they'd introduce him that early because it's an important game" or "no way they wait until Wednesday because they need him for the important game"?

9. nick_3f

nick_3f Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    1st one sorry for my english :eek:

10. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No problem. With his recent history, I wanted to make sure I knew why he would or wouldn't play.

If you haven't noticed we get a little worked up here about his situation. :)

Please keep posting!!!

11. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    and/or that evaluation of players based on performance in youth tournaments or lesser leagues can be inexact.

12. Bellof-3

Bellof-3 New Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    He started training with the team on saturday. In my opinion he won't be chosen by cuper for the 18 except there no other under 20y.o. players available.

E.J. will be at the 18 and hopefully will play as a substitute

13. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Belenenses is playing right now. Through one half, scoreless. What a surprise.

Edit: Belenenses didn't lose! They didn't score, either.

14. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He won't play in Greece either. I'm really really sorry.:(

15. Bellof-3

Bellof-3 New Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    I have never seen him. But the fact that he is Cuper's choice and that we have seen 4-5 players to transform, makes me believe that he is going to play really well

16. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    he WILL play.

how much does he play, that's the question.

17. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope so man.

18. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When have I heard this before?

Hmmm...

19. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Sparta of course :)

20. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    lol

21. nealesk

nealesk Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Santa Fe, NM
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish I wasn't so pessimistic about this situation. I really love the way freddy plays, it's exciting soccer, hope he plays

22. jclampit

jclampit Member

Apr 12, 2002
    I think many feel this way, but don't want to dampen the enthusiastic mood. We've been hopeful before, and it hasn't worked out, so it's a natural feeling.

I was hopeful about Monaco until Ricardo publicly said Freddy was pushed on him and he had no use for him. I was hopeful about Belenenses until Pereira said Freddy had not been brought up properly for a young talent, and that he would do things the right way for Freddy's development...something like that. Most took that as a good sign, but it made me nervous...

I thought, "Uh oh, he means that instead of pressure to perform in games before Freddy's ready (too much too soon), Freddy should focus on training (developing fundamentals regarding how to read the game, play defense, and what not) and probably won't play much; that's his lens, meaning unless Freddy immediately shines, he's cover like Jozy at Xerez".

Perhaps Freddy simply failed to impress (his lack of playing time at three clubs now supports this view). Or maybe my fears were confirmed (Bastos' quotes, followed by Pereira's quotes about Bastos getting a virtual smorgasbord of playing time for an U21 player, tend to support this view).

Either way, we've all been hopeful before. Due partially to Aris posters' confidence that Freddy and Eddie were acquired by the manager, to play, this time does feel different. Lets hope it actually is. If a big reason Freddy isn't where we all hoped yet actually is bad luck (versus a lack of quality or effort), well, we're due - he's due - for something good to finally happen.

23. nick_3f

nick_3f Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Confirmed by Aris FM (Aris Radio)
    If Adu's Blue card arrives today, he ll be in the 18 members of the squad tomorrow.

24. Vegalta_Sendai

Feb 14, 2000
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek:

25. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    He's 20 and on his first Euro contract. Perspective, people.