Frank is Coach of the Year

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by staudio, Nov 27, 2012.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Wonder who's watching this?

2. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    well done and well deserved, congratulations Frank!

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Worst to first!

4. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No duh.

Of course, I think that this is an award that should be shared around with the whole coaching staff and Presidente Kaval and GM Doyle too, but that's just me. Good work by Frank and the whole coaching staff, and well deserved. Not exactly worst to first, but darned close.

Now, let's just keep up with the fitness, possession, and attractive play. (And F#$% anyone who says that we play ugly soccer, or that Lenny and Gordon are thugs. That's just sour grapes and whining by jerks.)

GO QUAKES!!!!
    F#$% el-lay!!
    F#$% MLS!!

- Mark

5. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Put me on the "I'm glad the FO doesn't listen to this forum when deciding whether or not to fire a coach" train :)

alexiskool1991 repped this.
  6. oofinalheavenoo

Oct 30, 2006
    Daly City, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to Yallop.

7. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations FY! My only gripe about this season was when we cut Moreno & did not bring in someone to replace him; though, I agree that this could be more on JD than FY.

Things could have turned out far better for us in the playoffs if we had a true #10 play maker.

8. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

falvo repped this.
  9. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    falvo repped this.
  10. leocal

leocal Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Fog City
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    things could have turned out far better for us in the playoffs if Muma could control his temper a bit more :)

congrats Frank

11. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well deserved ! Congrats FY !

12. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did an excellent job with roster management both in line ups and sub timing. Also, he did a good job of managing injuries throughout the season. Add the fact that the team had a great spirit and never say die attitude and it was easy to see that he was going to win the award.

Congratulations!

davez repped this.
  13. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Well deserved, and I was glad to see how the voters made Frank the overwhelming winner. I had read a few blogs where people were making a case for Olsen or Vermes over Yallop, but the players, Front office people, and media all went with Yallop by a considerable margin. In addition to the results on the field, Yallop has much more class than all of the other top coaches. Vermes, Kreis, Schmid and Arena all whined to the press after they would lose a game, complain about the refs or blame things outside of their control. When faced with all of the whining about Lenhart and the physical play of the Quakes, Yallop never resorted to the whining back-stabbing style of some of these other coaches and teams.

Beerking and markmcf8 repped this.
  14. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Exactly. For a while, when we played badly (and lost) every week, I was frustrated by FY's post-game comments. It was always like "Yeah, the guys played a good game and we had our chances...". Then I realized it was better than whining and complaining all the time. Keep the mouth shut and work hard for the result. That's the Quakes attitude. Nothing is entitled or granted.

15. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Frank is in a class by himself when it comes to how coaches comport themselves. Though I don't think the Quakes are overly whiny as a team, I still think they could "just get on with it" more during the game when a call doesn't go their way. It's always refreshing to watch some archived FA Cup game from the 70's or early 80's and the nearly total absence of whining at the officials, or players making a meal over the littlest of contact. I know they have come up with the term "gamesmanship" for this type of behavior, trying to spin it in to something positive, but, in my opinion it cheapens the game. I would like the Quakes to be known as a team that doesn't play those games (I know, might be tough as long as we have Lenny:)) and have a reputation for being that honest, hard working, blue collar team that we had in the past.

S.J. Jim and davez repped this.
  16. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would never have guessed this at the end of last season. I was calling for Frank's head, and in some ways I'm eating crow. But I still think it was the additions and health of our roster which won our SS rather than any sudden brilliance in Frank's coaching. He did coach differently this year, which may or may not be due to the FO holding his feet to the fire. My greatest criticism of him was that he always played to not lose rather than to win. This year, there were multiple times where he clearly went for the win, and it paid off. Let this be a lesson to all coaches. Go for the win. Good things will happen.

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I seriously don't think he had the depth in the past. This team was/is pretty deep. I think the goal scorers and/or getting Lenny & Gordon back did wonders. I think the defense is still kind of weak but the best defense is offense and if it weren't for all the come from behind goals, we may be calling for Frank's head once again. Frank deserves credit though for recognizing the players strengths and weaknesses and knowing who to sign on the roster and who to start and put in as the game wears down and who to take out. Not sure if it will happen next year but for this year anyway, it worked and he was a genius.

18. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What seasoning would you like with that?

19. elvinjones

elvinjones Member

Jul 4, 2011
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paging markmcf8 and falvo from 2011:
    "Guess who wins Coach of the Year in 2012?"

hahahahaha :D

falvo repped this.
  20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I wanted him badly as you recall, I defended Frank even against some other colorful characters. I love it!

21. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frank earned a firing in '11. Don't pretend it's not so. Sure, keeping him has worked out tremendously well, but it would have been perfectly reasonable to fire him too. Moreover, we've all noted some differences in his coaching in '12. Someone, or more likely, someones, had a bigger hand in directing the team than previously. I really think this was more of a group effort than Wiseman Yallop leading the team by himself. Am I happy? :D Of course!

GO QUAKES!!!!

- Mark

nihon2000 repped this.
  22. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Lol. And who would that someone(s) be?
    [​IMG]
    After bellowing for 4 years that Frank should be fired you just can't give him the credit that he deserves. Oh no, there just had to be someone(s) else who was the catalyst for this success.

Or perhaps he just finally managed to get the right group of players and it all came together.;)

23. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Needing to "Get the right players," is the sign of a weak coach. Not that I expect a run at the top of the table with poor players, but even with a weak roster, you can choose to try to play for possession and control, you can choose to try to play attractive soccer, or you can throw your hands up and play long-ball, which is what Frank did. There are any number of things that he could have and should have tried, including using his damn subs. He should have focused on fitness work in the pre-season, but did that in only two seasons since resurrecting the club ('10 & '12). And who's fault is it that we haven't had "the right players?" Frank has been doing most of the picking of players, so where does the blame for that lie? Frank has had, and lost plenty of good players. Frank has played guys who suck, when he had options on the bench. Frank chose to play long ball when he didn't have to.

Would we have been successful if Frank had tried all these things? Probably not in terms of winning, but in '09 (when I first started calling for his outster) and most of '10 and almost all of '11 we played eye-gougingly bad soccer. And why did he wait for Baca to get his papers in order to try possession ball in '11? He could have played Ampai in the a-mid role. Or he could have played Khari in the a-mid role. But he screwed around with the lineup, he played guys out of position, and we sucked. (He could have played Ring and Cronin together too. They work well together.)

Think what you want. I'm as certain as I can be that Frank is no longer the only cook in the clubhouse.

GO QUAKES!!!

- Mark

24. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Rasputin was the original Goonie who never said die. :)

markmcf8 repped this.