News: France vs Germany 2013

Discussion in 'France: National Teams' started by StarrMatthieu, Jan 31, 2013.

1. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Will Giroud score against Germany today?

2. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    :(
    WE STILL PLAYED GREAT! EVEN THO WE LOST
    :(
    Germany has one hell of a player and his name is Ozil !

im proud of our french players !

3. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    France were unlucky not to score in the final minutes but its a fair result. Germany outclass France in midfield.

4. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    True.

Germany dominated the game. France only dangerous on the counterattack or partly the Höwedes side. I also think Ribery outclassed Lahm. Germany having better staff on every other position.

5. CoDave

CoDave Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Colorado USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Germany may have won but I have a hard time agreeing that the Germans dominated the game.

guignol and StarrMatthieu repped this.
  6. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    you can say that again !

7. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Capoue SUCKS

guignol and CoDave repped this.
  8. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    On the other hand, Germany has a tendancy towards overconfidence so you know what, I think you guys are better than Spain too. :thumbsup:

9. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Ribery and Valbuena were standout players for France. Cabaye was mostly transparent in his role. I'd like DD to mix things up in midfield. Maybe play Valbuena behind the strikers and have Menez on the right wing.

10. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Menez should have started and played ,
    4–4–1–1 would have worked better right off the bat for me what do you think?

or copy Psg's aka Ancelotti x-mas tree with Giroud as the star aka point giving the benz a second striker role/ playmaker!

Giroud
    , Benzema
    , Ribery Sissoko Valbuena Menez
    Erva Rami Sakho, Debuchy
    Lloris

would been nice to see Romain Alessandrini get a cap and come off the bench to replace sissoko or valbuena

11. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Especially in the first half. France had 3 chances of which 2 (incl the goal) were offside. Germany mostly made the game and controlled the midfield. France on the counter over the wings. In the second half it appeared more equal cause in my view you guys perfectly exposed Germany's problem by almost playing "too offensive". The whole team defends so far up front. That's why we lost to Italy. Spain/Barca invented it. We're about to learn and implement it.

60% ball possession -- away -- without Reus, Götze or Schweini in midfield -- with another outstanding player Gündogan normally being a clear bench candidate -- Özil like Zidane in his best days -- I thought it was legitimate to say that.

I wish you guys can keep teasing the Spain in WCQ. :whistling:

12. the one and only

Jul 15, 2011
    Honnestly they did for most part of the game, their passing and possession game was clearly superior for most part of the game.
    And Ozil is in a class of his own, what a player...

13. the one and only

Jul 15, 2011
    This team might look attractive (on paper) offensively, but it will get killed on the defensive side.
    And on the offensive side, i think few players will run into each others way on the field.

14. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    It's hard to be too displeased with the performance last night. a lot went right, enough to think that france really can play toe-to-toe with the best teams in the world. ribéry excellent, valbuena even better, and more reasons for satisfaction than that. evra was fine, and sagna convinced me he was the best choice at RB even though i would have originally gone for réveillère too.

i'm not even too disappointed with benzema. sissoko wasn't horrible by any means, even if it's hard to see what real use he was. with menez there would have been less muscle but at least we would have had more coming down the right side than just sagna. gonalons would not have been better than matuidi but probably better than cabaye... who was still OK.

the only real negatives were the way france lost all steam once they went behind. they had had the momentum for a good while just before that goal, and had been as good in their way as germany in theirs. the only differences between being up 1-0 and down 1-2 was one flash of genius by özil and one flash of genius by capoue.

what the hell is that schlemiel doing in blue? i've never ever seen anything from him that even puts him on a list for consideration. just in france you start a list of guys better than him in the north wih mavuba and by the time you get to ajaccio i'll bet there are 20 names on it. and i'm not just talking about the equalizer he offered on a silver platter to a team that doesn't need such gifts but that his teammates had kept bottled up very well to then. that wasn't even a turning point: the very stupidity of the goal seemed to protect the moral of the team and they continued to play well. but capoue was consistent in his uselessness. even the one spectacular play he made was only the result of his being so clueless in the seconds preceding it.

a pity, because 1-1 would have been a very nice result for this friendly commemorating the 50th anniversary of degaulle kissing adenauer.

StarrMatthieu repped this.
  15. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I would opt for something like this:

Lloris -
    Sagna, Koscielny, Sakho, Evra -
    Sissoko, Gonalons -
    Menez, Valbuena, Ribery
    - Giroud

16. the one and only

Jul 15, 2011
    I agree with most of you said except those in bold. I think it was pretty clear that the french team really needs to work on it's passing and possession game, and also the Germans (not to even talk about Spain) have players in almost every position that are better than the french players (except for Ribery's position). But now that i think about it, i think only Spain & Germany (and maybe Brazil, but they're still not able to play as a team) are way ahead of France in "Individual" talents.

As for Sagna, he didn't do anything to suggest he's better than Débuchy, Réveillère or even Jallet. Not to even add that he's been horrible for Arsenal since he came back from injury.

And finally, Gonalon better than Matuidi & Cabaye??? Since when??? He's a good player and all that but those 2 especially Cabaye are better and more consistant than he is.

17. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I would include Gonalons in the squad as a pure defensive mid at the expense of either Matuidi or Cabaye in order to include an extra creative midfielder. I agree with what you said about the possession aspect of France's game right now. When you think about the other top teams in the world right now they all have an outstanding playmaker/creative midfielder. Germany has Ozil. Spain has Iniesta. Italy has Pirlo.

Nasri and Gourcuff arent up to that level unfortunately but France will continue to lose ground if they dont at least try to introduce someone in that role. I would opt for Valbuena in that role in the next qualifier to see how he performs and let DD decide between Gonalons, Matuidi, and Sissoko for the box-to-box/holding midfielder roles behind him.

Deschamps decided to exclude some of the more unharmonious elements of the squad with the goal of forging a more unified and stronger "team unit" and that has been successful to a degree. But the downside is that some of the technique in midfield has been sacrificed. M'Vila is missing and he is probably stronger from a technique perspective than some of the current squad but he needs to serve his ban. Diaby is another option but he's always injured so he's not someone you want to build a team around.

I don't follow Mavuba enough to know what he could add but judging from some of the comments here he should probably get another look also.

18. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    beh, since last night at least. but as i said, not matuidi, just cabaye. just a bigger volume du jeu, a lot of balls swept up and very few lost. his passing isn't going to break down defenses but he's an excellent washing machine.

still, it was germany, so i'm still willing to accept both of the other two are better. but more consistent would be hard.

i really thought sagna did great both back and front and a couple of his runs deserved much better passes. rvr has been great this year in lyon and his last couple of times for france were good too, but DD wants to go with someone younger iiuc. debuchy i haven't seen play for NUFC but for france he's been very bland, i think he's gotten a lot of mileage out of that great first cap.

StarrMatthieu repped this.
  19. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I was only able to watch the first half, but I liked what I saw from the team for the most part. Ribery was playing absurd, had his way on the left side. I guess Capoue had a bad time out there in the second. I will try to catch some highlights of the second later today to see what went wrong.

20. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Here's 36 minutes worth of the game.

bayern15 and AfrcnHrbMan repped this.
  21. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What did the French commentator say about the linesmen who didnt call 3 offsides of which 2 goals occurred?

22. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't blame the linesman for his non-calls ahead of the 1:0 and 1:2 goal scenes (very close offside situations from Sissokho & Khedira). The first non-call (when Adler saved brilliantly against Benzema) was a clear mistake, though.

Anyway, it was a great & exciting match between 2 top teams (pretty high pace & quality for a friendly) ... and it's been high time for a German win after 5 defeats out of the last 6 games against France. ;)

http://www.fussballdaten.de/vereine/deutschland/frankreich/

23. the one and only

Jul 15, 2011
    The thing is Gonalon will actually be fighting for a place as defensive midfielder with Matuidi, beacause Cabaye unlike Gonalon and Matuidi, is more of a box to box midfielder.

As fo Débuchy, what have seen in club level and in the national team suggests he's a better player than Sagna.

24. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i don't listen to the commentary that closely, who cares what those clowns think?

but i think they also felt benzema was slightly offsides, and it looked fair enough to me on the replay. on valbuena's goal they (and i) were looking to see if valbuena was offsides and he clearly wasn't. on khedira's goal this is the first time i heard anyone even talking about offsides and it never occurred to me there was a problem, there were no replays illustrating such.

for a few years now our national sport has been severe, unreasonable, truly vicious criticism of the officials. the new fad is being a good sport and admitting referees are human. it won't last.

25. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just wanted to know if it's been an issue at all. Depending on the broadcast you sometimes could think they saw a totally different game.

And no not Valbuena. But in the moment Benzema shot the freekick on the barr there were Evra and Sissokho slightly offside(maybe even Valbuena too), when the ball came back from the barr it still had been the same situation(!!!) when one of those (Sissokho) headed the ball to Valbuena. The vid shows the German broadcast (from the other side) where it looked different to the french(and international) one. Maybe just the angle. Maybe not.