Fox Sports OH

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Crew Chuck35, Jan 5, 2012.

1. CrewNoob

CrewNoob Member

May 7, 2008
    Huntington, WV
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't describe just how excited I am for this. I don't get ONN but definitely get FSN, so this will be a huge help for me!

2. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Fox Sports has been running 2 ads announcing the Crew broadcasts on the network during the Blue Jackets game tonight. One features Dwight and Duncan while the other is just a quick bumper ad with a voice over but a shot a of the team celebrating a goal last season.

3. paris1129

paris1129 Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So I just checked my guide on dish network for next weekend and it shows the Crew game on both fox sports channels I get (Cleveland and Cincy feeds). However, it only shows the game on the SD feeds of these channels. The HD feeds do not appear to be carrying the game according to my guide. Its usually pretty accurate, so this is a HUGE bummer. Anybody else have any insight into this?

4. PSHSSoccerDog3

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 22, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote:
    Craig Merz @icer12
    Key part of Crew/FSO TV deal: Crew gets priority over Reds for 10 direct conflicts. Reds go to alternate channel. However, in some cases if Reds early game runs long (imagine that) then Crew would start on alternate and move to reg. FSO at conclusion of Reds. There are 8 possible Reds overruns right now. Most have 3/12-4 hrs from Reds start to Crew's. No direct CBJ conflicts with Crew Crew opener 6 p.m. Sat. 3/10 10 @ COLO. .. CBJ play @ 8 p.m. CBJ pregame most likely on alternate... Coverage ^ to 5.7 mill. from 1.7 ONN
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

And for those in Cleveland, Toledo, Akron, Canton, and surrounding areas, there are NO Reds conflicts (obviously - Indians territory) and will be no Cavaliers conflicts (any days where both the Cavaliers and Crew play, the game times are set far enough apart).

In Youngstown, where the Blue Jackets are blacked out (Penguins territory), there will be no conflicts. As mentioned before, there are no conflicts between the Crew and Cavaliers (which Greater Youngstown does get). :) :) :)

5. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's weird. My program guide (AT&T) has CBJ programming on both channels. Hopefully things will be updated within 3-4 days. Failing that, maybe one of the "alternate" channels will have it.

6. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm a fan of DISH network for a variety of reasons, but their treatment of MLS is definitely not one of them.

Unfortunately, DISH shares bandwidth on their satellites for their HD regional sports networks. This is why you have programming 24/7 on the SD version of the RSN (like FSO) but just a splash screen on the HD version.

MLS matches rate *really* low in DISH's priority. So there might be a Division-3 college basketball game in HD on another RSN in a nearby market that is knocking out FSO from getting the Crew match in HD.

I recently moved to Washington and about half the Sounders matches and maybe a quarter of the Timbers matches are available on DISH in HD here, the rest in SD. I recommend subscribing to MLS live online. DISH also doesn't provide direct kick in HD.

You could try writing to DISH or the Crew FO, but I doubt you'd make much progress. Hopefully there won't be too many conflicts for most of the matches.

7. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On Broad street the electric billboard, Columbus Crew on Fox sports Ohio HD.

Fyi I did not know where to post this but if you have to travel Disney Resorts carry NBC sports network.

8. CrewBeat

CrewBeat Be Massive My Friends

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Checked my time warner guide this morning and the game is listed in HD on both the main and alternate channel, however on the main channel the last half hour of the match is listed as blue jackets pregame for the game at 8pm. This seems like it should be on the alternate HD channel, so hopefully it gets fixed.

9. CrewBeat

CrewBeat Be Massive My Friends

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the just updated website listings, Cincy, Cleveland and Columbus markets should have the Crew game in it's entirety before the CBJ game. Assume the CBJ pregame will be available on the alternate channel.

Going to be a good day for Columbus sports viewing:
    ~4pm OSU will be playing if they win Friday in B1G Ten tourny
    6pm Crew play
    8pm CBJ play

10. Nostradumass

Nostradumass BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn. Just when my liver thought it was going to get a Saturday off.

11. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I still don't see anything for AT&T's guide, but their guide provider (FYI Television) is notorious for being awful. I won't be worried about it for a few more days yet.

12. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm glad I read this before I went ahead and switched over to Dish. I was under the assumption that the Direct Kick package was in HD. Hmmm to stick with TW or switch to DirecTV now...

13. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've watched parts of many CBJ games on DirecTV and it's always been in HD. I have no reason to believe that it won't be for Crew game.

My open offer still stands on DirecTV. PM me if you're interested in saving an extra $10/month on your DirecTV.

14. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yeah, My understanding is DirecTV airs all direct kick matches in HD (as opposed to DISH).

15. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...when available. I believe a game at Vancouver or Portland last year wasn't in HD on Direct Kick.

There was also that interesting situation from RSL(?) in 2010, when Direct Kick took the left side of the image and stretched it out, instead of taking the middle of the image.

16. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. If it's available in HD, DirectKick is shown in HD on DirecTV.

17. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There have been a ton of promos on during CBJ telecasts for the Crew game: one with Garber, one with Dwight and Duncs, one with just Duncs, all with Sara the Fox-Sports ohio girl.

18. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    Honestly, the FSN Ohio announcement is huge. There is a watch party for the game on Saturday in my neighborhood, if you can believe that. Everyone is gathering around to watch together since it is all finally in HD.

19. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

where is this neighborhood?

20. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Just checked my Direct TV and i have Fox Sports OH on my Direct TV Package here in San Antonio, Texas. I am Stoked. Will watch every game on TV this year vs Laptop.

Go Crew

21. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The games will be blacked out for you.

22. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    I checked and the game is scheduled on my Fox sports ohio so i don't get what your saying.

23. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Basically, DirecTV is not allowed to show out of market games on the "Local" Sports Affiliates.

Since the zip code in your receiver isn't aligned with that of Fox Sports OH, you'll get the message "This program is unavailable in your area. Searching for alternate stations" or something similar. It will then point you to the DirectKick package.

Which for $80 or so is well worth it.

24. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The others are correct. I get a lot of those same Fox Sports channels. If you were correct, I could pay $5 per month for those channels and watch a ton of MLS, NBA, NHL, and MLB games. However, they're all blacked out.

MLS is blacked out on DirecTV, just the same as the other leagues. Besides, if it wasn't blacked out, you could have seen Crew games via the other channels, such as on FS Prime Ticket or FS West when we played the LA teams.

However, if you get Direct Kick or MDL, you now have a much better chance of watching the Columbus announcers and seeing promos for Crew games.

25. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Well I do have MLS Live, Plus Direct Kick is free this weekend.