Fox Sports OH

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Crew Chuck35, Jan 5, 2012.

1. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tend to agree. I was forced to buy it the last couple of years but don't have to this year. I may still get it as I would miss being able to watch 2 or 3 extra games per week.

It is good to know that if I opt out, that I'll still get all Crew away games in HD. Getting the package would enable me to get all Crew home games in HD (for the most part) for re-watching after getting home from the game, as well as a couple of the best match ups each week.

2. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Id love to get something definitive in this department. It seems to me that all weve been focused on is Speas and is or isnt he in the fold. To me this is more important than 1 player.

3. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. If you're outside of Ohio (as we are), it pays for itself in 4 games (I usually spend $20 at the bar that shows the games). I think I'd trade the picture quality for Glen Davis/Shep Messing effect.

4. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    Is Time Warners alternate FSO channel hd? Watching the cavs game on the alternate FSO on Insight is almost as bad as ONN with no alternate HD channel...

5. NUFC Fan

NUFC Fan Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yes, TWC has FSNOH HD, and an alternate. And there's another RSNHD. Not sure if that's Reds or Regional.

TWC was showing all home games in HD last year through an alternate channel (from ONN)

6. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AdamJardy Adam Jardy
    As far as the Crew's TV options go, I'm not sure Fox Sports Ohio is the only party interested in airing games. #crew96
    52 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

7. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read that, and thought, "Who else would be a player in that game?"

8. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only party interested?? OK lets play speculation game.
    Obviously FSO is in the mix. I imagine you also have to consider STO. Throw in ONN as well just as a back-up. But how about a local channel like WBNS or 6/28 to air games locally?

Whats nice is that it seems like there is multiple parties vying for the rights to air the games.

9. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Possible guesses:
    FOX Sports Ohio
    ONN
    WTTE 28.2
    WBNS 10.2

10. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am hoping for Fox Sports Ohio since I don;t get any of the other channels. How much/if any does Fox Sports Ohio have with main Fox channel? I am wondering if since they got the TV bid for the WC if they are pushing their regional channels to pick up local rights.

11. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah....not sure DirecTV carries 10.2 and 28.2. Anyone?

12. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Believe it or not, Fox's Saturday night programming (COPS, Terra Nova) is actually national. In other words, it's highly doubtful. Back in 2000-2002 or so, WTTE and/or WSYX did show games locally, but those may have been weekend afternoons when the time was easier to clear.

Keep in mind that Fox's World Cup-winning bid doesn't kick in until 2015.

13. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kelyn Rowe #3-NE

14. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    LOL wrong thred Chuck. :D

15. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoops!

16. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I in no way think that this would happen, or that they would be interested, but I, personally, think it would be a good idea.

BTN

They've got an HD channel, 2 (or is it 3) overflows (for when College sports are in season), and they don't have much of anything to offer during the summer months.

*Oh, and they rarely even use their overflow channels except for noon football games in September.

17. beyondthenormal-s3

Oct 4, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Any chance that being on Fox Sports Ohio will put games more on Sportstime Ohio (STO)? Only one I get out of Ohio.

Only thing they have on STO is Crew Xtra at like 5 am and they showed the Colorado playoff games live I believe.

Fox Sports Pittsburgh is now Root Sports Pittsburgh, but Root Sports keeps all the same soccer coverage that Fox Sports Pittsburgh had. EPL Review, Monday EPL Game, Tuesday Wednesday Champions League games, etc.

18. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see that happening at all, but I think I know where you're headed with this. ESPNU has the same issue in the summer months. This is why a lot of the extra FIFA stuff ends up on ESPNU. Just like ESPN, Fox also has a university-themed channel with a ton of nothing to show during the summer.

However, the Fox family of networks also has FSC, which just got out of MLS broadcasting, because they didn't want to pay the asking price. FSC would be the more natural fit for pro soccer. (Look for F/X to possibly show stuff during the World Cup.)

The main issue with BTN is that the Big Ten Conference owns 51% of the channel. Would they'd be willing to give up their programming, which is essentially an advertisement for the schools and conference, for MLS programming? --- MAYBE if they were willing to show players who went to Big Ten schools, but even then I still doubt it.

As for the overflow channels, I have no idea how those actually work. I know other programming appears on the same channels, at least on U-Verse. (It says something like ALT 1 HD, but will show occasional pro sports during the winter months, as those same channels are also overflow channels for the RSNs. Does the BTN essentially rent space on those slots and "call" them BTN overflow, just to keep things simple? I don't know.)

19. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DirecTV has an ownership share in in several regional Fox Sports channels. On April 1st, 2011, they changed the name of their channels to "ROOT Sports".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_Sports#Networks

20. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    STO and Fox Sports are 2 completely different channels with different owners. Fox Sports Ohio would not have any of their original programming carried on STO.

21. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Channel 4 started to advertise showing old tv shows on 4.2, I can't remember which channel but I thought somebody still showed Fritz The Night Owl.
    March madness is nice they had what 3 channels for games 10.1 10.2 10.3

You have to get an antenna to watch those channels on Direct TV. My friend can sometimes get stations from Cleveland, My old house I would sometimes get Cincinati stations depending on the day.

22. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I in no way expect it to happen. I just think it would be worth investigating, thinking outside the box, if you will (to use a cliched term). There may also be things that would make it impossible: BTN could be set up as a non-profit, as I imagine all money goes to the B1G and it's affiliate schools and showing professional sports vs. amateur may affect that, or not, I don't know.

Personally, if I'm in the Crew FO, I'm calling them up to see if they'd even consider it.

The biggest problem would be that potential viewers might not watch games they would have since they might not look for games there (I had that problem with OSU basketball games when BTN first started).

23. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to de-rail this discussion but FSC actually offered more but MLS turned them down for NBC. NBC can offer a whole list of things FSC can not and they believed taking less money but more exposure was worth it.

24. Sweet Jesus

Sweet Jesus Member

Nov 25, 2008
    R'burg
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey...it was in the Dispatch today. So, it must be true, right?

25. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully FSN will have a better video feed than ONN!