FOX Soccer Channel Stupidity Thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by MasterShake29, Sep 5, 2009.

1. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    40th minute, and they still haven't figured it out.

2. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Ha - I was wondering how they'd handle the postponement. Should have just assumed they'd botch it. What a dog and pony show.

3. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    So, what was going on for those 40 minutes?

4. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsenal v Fulham. They still had it wrong when it came up in the 90th minute.

5. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Oh, oh, oh. I see what you're saying. I thought you meant 40 minutes into the scheduled Man Utd block and they still hadn't figured out why it was canceled.

6. matty311

matty311 Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Is the SD version of FSC letterboxed and looking way more awful pq wise than it did before this week for anyone else??

7. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    FSC's video quality the past couple of years has been more erratic than David Beckham's hair. Especially since they introduced HD, it seems the SD broadcast has been all over the place. The picture will be horrible for a couple of weeks, then get better, then the audio will degrade for a spell, then be OK, rinse, repeat, etc.

8. 7spencer7

7spencer7 Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Outside Boston
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your provider is letterboxing it. FIOS for example just does a centercut because everything except Serie A is shot 4:3 safe.

9. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    whos the idiot commentator of juventus vs. catania game yesterday??

i know he's been around for a while and i've always hated him, i forgot his name but he annoys me with his boring ass commentating and u cant hear him 90% of the time, no emotions on goals or anything....

he needs to be fired!!!!

let paul visca do it if anything...FSC has the worst commentators

10. allegrabene

allegrabene New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Alexandria, Va
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    visca and whittle are definitely the best

11. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there's a 4th guy this year - probably for the early sunday game. I forgot who the 3rd guy was that always kept plugging his website on broadcasts. Max something?

12. Cpt_K

Cpt_K Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    FS+ had a game called by Marco Palmieri over the weekend. I believe it was the Fiorentina game.

13. ilbambino

ilbambino Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Christian Miles knows nothing about football. I hope they lose all of the rights and I especially hope ESPN takes the Champions League back. FSC is the corniest station on television with that stupid F-S-C song.

14. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    I have no big opinion on Christian Miles one way or the other, which is kind of the whole point for this post. There are two or three of you around here who seem to have this undying hatred of the guy. It's kind of hilarious, but it also makes me have to ask: What's the deal?

In what sense does he egregiously "know nothing about football"? He doesn't strike me as "knowing" any more or less than any other run-of-the-mill broadcaster, certainly among those on FSC. Not notably brilliant, not notably dumb. And while I could probably do without his imitation of the English play-by-play style, it's not like he's some complete boom-goes-the-dynamite disaster in terms of basic broadcasting skills.

I guess I just don't see why anyone would even particularly notice this guy, let alone get so worked up as to form some impassioned campaign against him. Yet here you are, this little group of anti-Miles crusaders, so clearly I'm missing something. Maybe you can explain.

15. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    My dislike of Miles is pretty much the same amount of dislike that I have for just about everyone on FSC with the exception of Bobby McMahon and on occassion Christopher Sullivan (who I only started to mildly appreciate during the summer WC coverage).

The thing I just do not understand is, why can't FSC just become Sky Sports US. Basically there are what 4 Sky Sports Channels + Sky Sports News? So if FSC didn't have to produce any original content but just showed the Sky Sports pregame/postgame plus EPL matches they have the rights to along with Championship, and then throw on the Serie A matches that they have the US rights to, how much better would that really be.

FSC has great matches but I don't give a damn to listen to any of what their FSC people have to say before, during or after the match. The guys who are on their giving their viewpoints are no better than some dope at the end of a bar watching the same thing that you are. So until this day comes where FSC is Sky Sports US, I will continue to watch their matches and that is all. Anything that involves talking/opinion/etc I have no interest in. Just for clarification, this is coming from someone who would look forward to the post match banter of Pat Dolan and Paul Dempsey during the Setanta US days. Unfortunately, those days are gone.

16. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No thanks. FOX is doing just fine w/ CL - they just need to get that SKY audio in synch with the game video! we get 7 live games per week on the Fox nets, as opposed to 2 or 3 on ESPN. And on ESPN we'd have to hear Tommy Smyth on the mic again, plus there's always the chance of matches being pre-empted by a Brett Favre retirement/unretirement news conference or something:) The only upside of ESPN having the rights would be that all the games would be presumably be online on ESPN3. As has been stated for many years on these boards, Soccer (outside of the WC) is filler programming for ESPN, evidenced by their handling of the Monday EPL matches

18. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Not if you live in Ireland they aren't.

Thx,

Jay!

19. KennyDalglish

KennyDalglish Member

Feb 2, 2007
    I dont know if you guys remember the woman who used to anchor Fox Sports report before.

I remember her referring to Carlos Tevez as a brazilian twice. (two different days)

:confused:

20. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Bingo.

FSI is handling the UEFA Champions League the same way ESPN STAR Sports in Asia (which is a corporate sister of NewsCorp/FOX, not a sister of ESPN despite the branding) has been doing for the past 15 years: BSkyB match announcers, locally-based pundits in the studio, and at least 3 matches live using alternate TV channels if necessary.

If you have DIRECTV, you have live video access to ALL UEFA Champions League matches from the playoff round through the final. That means 5 matches live during the playoff round and 8 matches live during the group stage, all with BSkyB match announcers.

Starting with the next contract cycle (2012-2013 season), FSI will go "4 wide" during the playoff round and the group stage on both Tuesday and Wednesday:

#1 pick on FOX Sports Net (i.e. Man Utd and Chelsea)
    #2 pick on FSC (i.e. Arsenal and the other English club or the Scottish club)
    #3 pick on FOX Deportes (i.e. Barcelona and Real Madrid)
    #4 pick on FS+ (i.e. AC Milan, Inter Milan, Bayern Munich, etc.)

21. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You talking about Lara Baldaserra? I heard/read she has a new show on some network in Canada? Nice to see she's picked up where she left off.

On a related note, Jeremy St. Louis made mention of selling Eoin O'Callahagn (sp?) a TV that died and that he and Terri Leigh brought him a new lamp for the TV or something. So it seems they're still in the same locale.

22. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Interesting.

Now that Eoin O'Callaghan has filled the 4th anchor slot on FOX Soccer Report (replacing Lara B.,) there is virtually no possibility of Terri Leigh making a U-turn for the forseeable future.

Perhaps that's the reason JSL felt comfortable enough to give the viewers a little "hint" on camera.

23. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no hints about Mitch Peacock at all but every now and again a mention of Carlos Machado

24. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    You didn't read your own stuff carefully.

Ask yourself this: why would JSL and T.L. both buy E.O. a new lamp for a TV that JSL sold to E.O.?

There is no reason T.L. would be involved in a business transaction between JSL and E.O. unless...

25. 7spencer7

7spencer7 Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Outside Boston
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...they are friends that met at work and stayed in touch and hang out sometimes.