FOX Soccer Channel Stupidity Thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by MasterShake29, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Carson Galaxy

Carson Galaxy Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Downey, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fox Soccer Channel hates soccer!!!!!

They thinks it's boring so they slice off the fat so to speak and make it an hour affair.

2. strike

strike New Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone else having sound problems with FSC+? It drops real low randomly. Driving me nuts. My cable company (Time Warner) has no idea what the problem is and blames the station! WTF? I just paid them $5/month to add what is normally free for everyone else and now the quality sucks. Grr.

3. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if this is FSC stupidity or Comcast stupidity...

FSC is not available on Comcast here in HD but I now am watching Fox Soccer report in a tiny box like you sometimes see for SD broadcasts on HD channels with black bars above and on each side of the video. My television HD light isn't on and it reports the broadcast as 480iSD 4:3 so I know they haven't switched to HD. Anyone else getting this weird change in FSR? I've been away so I don't know exactly when this started or if it is on all FSC programming. I should note that the box looks horrible and makes me even more annoyed at not getting FSC in HD. So who should I rant at FSC or Comcast?

4. 7spencer7

7spencer7 Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Outside Boston
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's comcast. Are most of the games on the channel shown widescreen with black bars at the top and the bottom? I have a feeling Comcast is getting the HD feed of FSC and downconverting it for broadcast. I have FIOS and FSC in SD is always just a 4:3 picture.

5. bradjmoore48

bradjmoore48 Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have that issue too with Comcast. Annoying, but workable, just zoom in to Zoom 1 level and it will fill the whole of your widescreen TV (except FSR, which will be still be 4:3). The picture quality won't really improve, but at least you don't have to squint or sit really close to the TV to see anything.

6. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    FS+ is killing me with the Ligue 1 coverage. For the past few weeks they cut to commercial right when a player is being interviewed at the end of the first half and at the end of the game. I have said a million times in this forum that I'm glad these channels have ads; I want the channels to succeed. But the thing that irritates me is that they follow the 2 ads with a bunch of FS+ spots about leagues shown on the channel and then cut to the same half-time feature about Lille and PSG that have been airing for 4 weeks now. Just show the interview, then show the commercials, and instead of cutting the interview, cut the spots or the half-time thing about Lille and PSG.

7. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe they were trying to get back on schedule because of a game that ran long?

The concept of a 45 minute highlight show had some merit back when we all thought it would be like Match of the Day with analysis interspersed. But Fox Soccer Tonight is clearly just an excuse so they can show the replay in one hour instead of two. You'd think they'd use the opportunity to show more "replays" but they go and repeat the same replay later on in the night.

8. strike

strike New Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, here I am having just bought FSC+, ready to watch some extra soccer games and lo and behold, I'm pretty sure I just signed up for Fox Rugby Plus. WTF? It's Saturday and I swear I've seen 10 rugby matches back to back. It's been rugby all week, so I thought, well at least the weekend is coming. Nope, more rugby. What's going on? This is not what I paid for.

9. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    International break is what's going on and Fox seems to only being showing England games on TV and the rest of what they've got is on their Internet site. It will be better next week, but not much. They do seem to show a ton of rugby. As someone who is a fan of a niche sport, I can appreciate that rugby fans want a source for televised games, but I wish Fox just would start a separate channel for that and put some of what they are showing on their internet site on FS+ (e.g., Ligue 1, more Serie A, more Championship games, etc.). This is a pay channel so they don't need to mess with the same kind of production people expect on FSC (i.e., they don't need a pre-game/half-time/post-game local host when they can just use the feed and intersperse commercials).

10. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sounds like you didn't read https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1537366 which is titled "Fox Soccer Plus = Fox Rugby Plus ??"

11. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    I thought this was funny - All the talk and press of the much highly anticipated debut from Jermaine Jones last night:

At the US-Poland starting line-up graphic, they show Demerit #15 starting as a holding midfielder. And Christopher Sullivan even makes it a point to say Bradley and Demerit as the holding midfielders.

Then the very next shot is of Jermaine Jones wearing #15.

12. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    I have that low audio problem too. I called up my cable provider (Grande) and they told me that the volume was low at their end too. There were going to look into it, but of course I don't really expect the problem to be solved.

13. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Instead of starting a FS+ Stupidity Thread, I figured I'd put this here. Whoever the presenter was for the Barca-Kobenhaven replay on FS+ yesterday says the following doozie:

"More great RUGBY action this Friday as Bristol City takes on QPR in the NPower CHampionship on FS+"

I mean seriously, if the League name is something you're unfamiliar with, you can't recognize clubs like Bristol City and QPR. They've been in the Prem in the past. Unreal.

14. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hilarious! Would have been even more hilarious if they were promoting a Prem game with Stoke City or Blackburn.

15. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    had to add this - was watching the 15 minute intro to Juve-Fiorentina on Saturday. Milos(??) Krasic shows up on the feed running/warming up. And the venerable Christian Miles calls him Pavel Nedved. Had to laugh.

16. simont

simont Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THat is a good one cosding that Nedved has not playd for Juve for like 2 season.

17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last night FSC had a "Rapids Road To MLS Cup" special. In the final highlights of MLS Cup Rogondino referred to Dallas striker Jeff Cunningham as Jeff Cummings not once but twice.

18. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, come on, Cunningham is a hard name to memorize and pronounce. And what has he done in the league anyway?

19. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he's not the highest active goal scorer, he's close to it.

But yeah, he certainly isn't a household name.

20. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he was being sarcastic :)

21. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, yeah. Was I not obvious enough?

22. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    On the FSWR "Goals of the Week", #2 was the offside goal Aston Villa got against Arsenal which somehow the ref and linesman didn't spot.

I mean, really? You couldn't find a goal that wasn't a mile offside to put as #2 goal of the week? :rolleyes:

23. 7spencer7

7spencer7 Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Outside Boston
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a goal and it looked nice.

24. allegrabene

allegrabene New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Alexandria, Va
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and we see the return of curt menafee. i'd cringe but i have to stop throwing up first. the guy is cheesy and doesn't know enough about what he's talking about

25. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FOX just advertised on the screen that they'll have Blackpool v Manchester United today at 12:30 PM ET.

Only problem is that match was postponed, and it was announced yesterday.

Nice quality control guys.