FOX Soccer Channel Stupidity Thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by MasterShake29, Sep 5, 2009.

1. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree 100% with you. Use educated knowledgeable announcers and the audience will adjust.

But my recommendation was simply a way to maybe make it work. But I am with you would prefer to hear someone who knew WTF they were talking about regardless of the accent.

2. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes!

3. TJNash

TJNash Member

May 22, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, Sullivan is "better" than Wynalda and Harkes. And malaria is better than AIDS and ebola. Still doesn't mean I want it.

4. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    Although I think, as I already posted, having Gus do football is ridiculous, I can't blame him for this announcement of the score, which irritated me as well. He's not making that choice. Some producer is telling him what to say. I blame Fox, but I also knew what I was risking because I chose to watch FS1 first and then the Barca-Atletico game on FS+. FS+ will always be the safest bet because Sky announcers rarely spoil scores (although they do sometimes) and FS+ doesn't have a ticker spoiling scores. In this case, I was a neutral for both games and felt like the United-Bayern game might be more interesting.

Now tonight, when I have something invested, I am watching Real-Dortmund first half first (again, no ticker and less chance of spoiled scores), then first half of PSG-Chelsea, then second half of Real-Dortmund, and finally PSG-Chelsea second half. I am a fan of Dortmund and PSG but I would prefer to watch PSG-Chelsea and then the other game but can't trust that the former will be spoiler free. It is what it is.

5. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    The only game where any announcer mentioned the score was by Gus Johnson an American announcer.

My question is why?

6. Cpt_K

Cpt_K Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Because it is a LIVE SPORTS and the broadcaster treats it as such. The games are not broadcast in a vacuum.

7. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    I understand that.

Then answer this.

Why did the three international broadcasts not mention the score of the other game then?

8. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Tickers are bad enough, although there is a split opinion on them.

HOWEVER,

The red "breaking news" ticker employed by FS1 (for a no hitter in the SIXTH inning and a broken up no hitter) has got to be the worst use for a multitude of reasons. Chiefly that it was more distracting than usual.

Since all live sports are actually "breaking" news, why don't the sports channels go full FNC/MSNBC with flashing bells and whistles and have studio commentators break in at every pause in play so they can shout back and forth while the game is going on?

Thx,

Jay!

9. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Great! Taping the CL highlights only to see a news conference for 27 minutes. Then taped the EPL review show only to see that it is 30 minute late. Do networks take these highlight shows seriously?

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    BTW on ESPN Deportes they kept on showing the score of the Valencia Europa League match. The Colombian color commentator Ricardo Mayorga also mentioned the score.

So it is not just Gus doing the spoling. Nor is it exclusive to North American broadcasters.

11. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    No offense to those who watch taped sports without knowing its outcome, but I'm sure if you complained to all the media who "spoil" live scores, they'd probably laugh at you and tell you to get a life.

JasonMa, sfdanryan and HomietheClown repped this.
  12. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except for the fact that he does a few college football games. Would he want to fly back and forth on a regular basis?

13. reillyduke

reillyduke Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Also the fact that it is a monumentally stupid idea. I watched Manure on Tuesday and thought Gus had improved greatly since the last time he did soccer and then the Chelsea game started and he looked like just as big of a clown as he always has been. He just isn't suited for the game and i don't think they can force it.

14. reillyduke

reillyduke Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    No they don't we spent twenty pages of the EPL NBC thread going over this they don't really care whether the highlight show airs or not they know that you will most likely do what you did and stream it or grab the highlights you wanted off of their websites. Unless i miss my guess the review show was delayed because of a hockey overtime and you would also be complaining if they truncated it so they got no way to win with you so they please the majority and their corporate overlords who want to see the end of the hockey game and as many commercials as possible.

15. reillyduke

reillyduke Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    i would just rep this if i could but i know sports anchors from living near espn campus for a while and can tell you they would.

16. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was happy the ticker told me about the possible no hitter but I think it interrupted whatever else was on the ticker for the "breaking news" too often. The first hit of the game was a home run and I think the ticker should have said the score rather than just saying that the no hitter was broken up.

17. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Too bad those networks don't care.

Maybe UEFA should stagger the start times so there isn't any overlap.

18. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Great, mid-nite kickoff time.

reillyduke and naopon repped this.
  19. reillyduke

reillyduke Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    you didn't know that people will stay up till 1am to watch and go to games that they already aren't watching and going to. UEFA operates for the European markets the kickoff times are staying where they are because that is their primetime. Certain Americans are going to be inconvenienced is simply not a factor that they can put a lot of weight into in their decision making. As for the precious "spoilers" people want to watch sports and consider the implications of all the games. Most people will not watch a replay and spoilers dont ruin highlights.

sfdanryan repped this.
  20. TobaccoMonopolyFC

Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    AS Monaco FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Television is adapting (some more slowly than others...) to a "two screen" world where people use a tablet, phone, or PC in addition to a TV to either watch a second match or discuss the action as it happens. TV replays aren't going to be around much longer, especially when that slot could be used for something more profitable (NBC's hunting shows make money), they're already being pushed to internet services like Watch ESPN and Live Extra.

If you look at sports ratings in the grand scheme of things they often aren't very good. Repeats of stuff like Step By Step often beat LIVE sports events, let alone a replay. The appeal of sports to broadcasters is that they're among the last "DVR proof" programming there is.

owian and HomietheClown repped this.
  21. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Nope. They could have a 7:00 PM kickoff and then a 9:00 PM kickoff - correct?

22. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001

Since NBC's hunting shows make money.

Why not just show hunting shows then?

Think of the money they are leaving on the table.

23. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    7pm CET is 6pm GMT. That's really pushing it for weekday UK audiences. Also for competitive purposes it makes sense to have matches in the latter matchdays of the group stage take place at the same time...

24. TobaccoMonopolyFC

Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    AS Monaco FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    For the same reason ESPN shows live soccer and cricket: they want to broaden their appeal. Live events get eyeballs on the screen and give you opportunities to advertise your other offerings, replays of a midtable match from 4 days ago don't. Most people just look up the result and go on about their day.

25. reillyduke

reillyduke Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    This is his hobby horse. He wants to live in a world where there was a broad demand for WestBrom/Reading airing three times a week on a TV channel that he pretends didn't cost him anything. And that Fox was brimming with cash from all the revenue they made from FSC. He constantly whines about the lack of EPL replays and refuses to switch to Directtv so that he could record all five of the extra time games with a genie and not have to worry about any spoilage.