FOX Soccer Channel Stupidity Thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by MasterShake29, Sep 5, 2009.

1. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe you have to build a straw man to make a point, but most don't. And, there are plenty of crappy British announcers. Just listen to some of the second-string Champions League games on DirecTV for ready examples.

Not really. Three of those four have no applicable use in soccer, and one does. "Fast break" would not be out of place when describing a quick counterattack, for example.

Makandal and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  2. Deleted Account

Deleted Account Red Card

Dec 31, 2004

I know, right. Check out those idiot Yank noobs over at the BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21448733

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21317369

3. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    No one is arguing he is the best.
    Fox just wants to groom him to be the Voice of American Soccer. Which by 2018 he can be.
    Who knows?

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  4. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Dish moved the Channel from 406 to 390 - wonder why?

5. TJNash

TJNash Member

May 22, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably to give you something new to incessantly complain about?

6. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    This getting ridiculous. Basically what Johnson said was "interception by bayern". So when has that been said. I could see "the ball was intercepted by Ribery" but "interception by Bayern is not ok". I know someone is going to accuse me of splitting hairs here but all the feedback made me do it.

Also someone on here wrote, an announcer wont make a difference in growing the sport in a defence of Johnson but i think its a counter productive argument. So if its not growing the sport in this country which i dont think it does either then what is the point?!?! So youd rather fly a newb to places like London and Madrid so he can do a worse job than the guy who is a flip of a switch away and on a feed that you already paid for. Its not cost effective, its not better, its not growing the sport so then can someone answer why is fox doing this? I cant see any good reason other than some dumb youtube teenagers might find Johnsons gimmick humorous tuning in for a laugh. Well Im not laughing!

cescfabregas and Cantona repped this.
  7. TJNash

TJNash Member

May 22, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, DUDE! It's GuJo! Doesn't matter that he sucks at calling soccer matches. Redbullsnation2012 assures us GuJo's the second coming of Vin Scully, Pat Summerall, Martin Tyler AND sliced bread all in one unavoidable package! Just put up with GuJo's on the job training, and he'll be AWESOME (barely serviceable) in 5 years.....

cescfabregas and Cantona repped this.
  8. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  9. cescfabregas

cescfabregas Member

Oct 2, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    And David Beckham made his way to Paris....SMH...

10. cescfabregas

cescfabregas Member

Oct 2, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So it stings less....;)

11. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell us all again how much you hate Johnson because of his penchant for ridiculous hyperbole.

12. cescfabregas

cescfabregas Member

Oct 2, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ofcourse...

Here comes arsenal on a "Fast break"......:speechless:

BocaFan and Cantona repped this.
  13. Beast_Ed

Beast_Ed Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Boston MetroWest
    Watched the Barca vs AC Milan game yesterday.

I wasn't missing Gus.

With the Euro guys, we basically end up getting two analysts calling the game... because they are both knowledgeable on the game. You get more perspective from two guys who are smart on the sport. It just works so much better.

TJNash and bigtw64 repped this.
  14. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    To each their own.

I personally dont like the Brits much. To drab and not really unique. Plus they try to spin everything in a Premiere League light.

Talking about how Milan lost to EPL clubs the last few years and how both of the goal scorers were at Pompey previously.

Who cares really.

Redbullsnation2012 and unclesox repped this.
  15. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right, that doesn't sound like Arsenal at all. They're more of a Slow Plod.

16. TJNash

TJNash Member

May 22, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never said anything of the sort. Stop creating strawmen to make yourself feel better.

17. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. savelints8

savelints8 Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    No matter what happens, I don't think anyone will ever be satisfied. So I think Fox should just get Elmo and Cookie Monster to call the games.
    ----
    In all seriousness, I think Gus didn't suck with Arsenal-Bayern. I do really appreciate the way he kept his mouth shut and let the game flow. If he's still a beginner with respect to soccer, and he's got that part down already, I feel like the guy's got a chance.

He should learn the rules and the terminology, though.

19. TJNash

TJNash Member

May 22, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read the thread, for God's sake. Then get back to us. My post was directed to the online "GuJo" fan boys who live in cloud fairy land and will accept no criticism of the guy's work.

If you'd actually READ my posts, you'd see that I think Fox is doing Johnson no favors by throwing him into the deep end before he is ready to swim. I have no problem with the guy otherwise.

But don't let the facts get in the way of you being a tw#t.

20. Ruud11

Ruud11 Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Fox announcers for the Europa Cup games were terrible. Especially after Hazard scored. Wish they would just get the British ones who are at the games.

21. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The question I have that none of the gujo fanboys are answering is WHAT IS THE BENEFIT? You're not saving $, youre not bringing in new fans, you're aggravating a large portion of your already loyal viewers. So anyone out there playing the role of Captain America want to let us eurosnobs what the benefit is?

Cantona repped this.
  22. psyer

psyer Member

Aug 11, 2011
    ESPN UK did have commentators on site for their match but FOX won't be getting audio from them. ITV also does have commentators on site for their match, but FOX hasn't used them ever. And the World Feed are doing matches off-tube since they commentate on the early match and then do the late match.

Ron Mexico repped this.
  23. Warren Van Orden

Feb 29, 2000
    Richmond CA
    Isn't the "deep end" World Cup 2018?
    ----------------
    In 2010, the audience growth at ESPN should demolish any concerns Fox might have about driving away "amerisnobs" as a result of some retrograde concept of "foreigners, yuck".
    Speculating on Fox's motivation, they need a lead announcer, the World Cup is a different beast than Serie A. It's more like the Olympics.
    In the Olympics most of the audience are people who only watch gymnastics or pole vault once every four years, a massive audience, few being Big Soccer member.

Here it makes sense to prefer our Serie A matches narrated by a guy who talks a little funny, lives in Italy, knows the game inside out.
    This does not make sense for the World Cup.

For "big events" they are other factors, ranging from the need to explain some basics occasionally (where day in day out fans might feel talked down to) to the "up close and personal" aspects, which I loathe, but have proven to build an audience.

So I believe what they look for is an announcer with powerful chops in areas that apply to all announcers regardless of the event: vocal tone, projection, clarity and ease...
    ...and less obvious tasks of weaving in story lines, promoting "American Idol coming up after the final whistle" and making it sound like they care.

Obviously knowing tactics and history of the sport at hand is mandatory, that's why Johnson is being groomed for five years. But a football genius who doesn't come across on TV is not what they want. If you follow gridiron football, recall what happened when Bill Walsh was hired to be 'the next big thing'. Despite being a genius of the game, he was a disaster as a broadcaster.

Even if we aren't getting Martin Tyler in WC2018, Gus Johnson is already far ahead of Dave O'brien or Bill Walsh or any number of other people.
    ===========
    When trying to answer my own question as to "Who else", I did think of JP, Glenn Davis and Phil Schoen [without Ray or Ty], none of them or any other US accented voice strike me as far and away superior to the Johnson idea.

Possible exception: What if Derek Rae moved back here and re-adapted his "American" accent of a decade ago, would that work for anybody?

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    How painful is the weather forecast on 'Fox Soccer News'. Tonight Stella showed as the forecast for the QPR - Man Utd game. Then discussed the forecast for the Arsenal - Villa match. Amazingly the forecasts were identical! Of course, that might have had something to do with the matches kicking-off at the same time and being played in the same city.

Then she went on to show us the forecast for the Daytona 500. I'm watching Fox Soccer News, right? :confused:

25. Crafty

Crafty Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Possessing an English accent doesn't make anyone more capable at broadcasting European soccer. Having said that, people don't like Gus Johnson because he is a soccer novice assigned by his bosses to market to a non-soccer audience. That isn't really his fault though.

He doesn't condescend to his audience. He isn't getting ahead of himself. He doesn't bring a whole lot to the table in terms of history of the sport, but he seems willing to learn. What I'm trying to say is it could be far, far worse.