News: Fox Soccer Channel no more

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by nas1787, Jan 17, 2013.

1. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Even ESPN is getting better at handling the properties they have. I just saw highlights from the Copa del Rey match between Barcelona and Malaga in the top 10 plays of the day. Not a league match, Champions League match, or the Copa final, just a quarterfinal match. Granted, it was featuring Barca, but they did highlight one of Malaga's goals as well. No snide remarks, just straight coverage.

2. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^ That's true, and I'm seeing much more of them on the Top 10 ... but this happens every year (the last few any way). Football dies down and baseball is over. That leaves a HUGE void in "random spots" like this. This year, there was no hockey for quite a while as well.

That said, 9 out of every 10 features a "name" club like Barca/ManU/Arsenal/Pool/Real/etc ... the only one I can think of off the top of my head in recent weeks was Diouf's bicycle for Hannover.

I'm not bashing ESPN or anything, but I like to keep perspective.

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do realize you're posting on BigSoccer, right?

4. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HA, yes ... which is what makes "I" in that statement the key word.

Jasonma repped this.
  5. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I stumbled across something late last night on ESPN. At 2am Eastern, M-F, ESPNews runs a half hour show called ESPNFC Press Pass. It's a solid little program. They spent a good amount of time last night on the Africa Cup of Nations.

6. looknohands

looknohands Member+

Apr 23, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll have to check that out...I watched it briefly while it was on ESPN Classic, before it was taken off of dishnetwork.

7. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fox and ABC/ESPN share the 1st tier right for both the Big 12 and the Pac-12, so Fox already gets quite a few games from both those conferences, not just on Fox Sports Net, but also on FX and the broadcast Fox network.

Right now, ABC/ESPN has the 1st tier rights for the B1G, but there's no lack of speculation that Fox could leverage their 50% ownership of the BTN to at the very least get the same sort of sharing arrangement with ABC/ESPN that for the B1G's 1st tier rights that they've got with the Big 12 and Pac-12. They've already got the rights to the B1G Championship Game.

Add all the college sports rights that Fox owns to the other sports properties that Fox has -- NASCAR and MLB -- and I'd say that the new Fox Sports 1 is a lot closer to ESPN than it is to NBCSN.

sitruc repped this.
  8. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Do you think less soccer then? I read they might get the Eredivisie. That would be interesting.

9. Mstars96

Mstars96 Member

Jul 13, 2003
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow, disappointing but since losing the MLS I only tuned in for the CCL, shit, where is the CCL going to????

10. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Likely somewhere among the Fox family of networks (when FoxSoccer goes away or gets rebranded or whatever later in 2013).

Likely the CCL will go/stay online as well.

And likely continue to be carried on Unimas, Galavision and/or Univision Deportes as well.

11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Virginia Tech often gets more clicks than UVa and UMD, but all of the Posts' college sports coverage is bad. The articles and news not by columnists are good. The bigger problem is the Washington Post website is a joke. The sports news is arranged horribly. Now they're moving away from horribly promoted blogs and pushing forums led by posts made by Washington Post bloggers. The Washington Post... they don't get it.

/rant

usadcu repped this.
  12. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish ESPN would get more of these leagues.

I love ESPN 3. Now they dont stream half the stuff they used to.

I hate these non streaming channels. suck so much. Not that there arent tons of other ways to stream just prefer legitimate means.

14. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    ESPN3 not good for me. Maybe ESPN should have their own soccer channel?