News: Fox Soccer Channel no more

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by nas1787, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    And that announcer! Jeez, I hate that guy's voice. Uhp nahxt, on an all new Being Livahrpooooool.

2. looknohands

looknohands Member+

Apr 23, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But who will televise the ratings bonanza that is the CCL? Who, damnit, WHO?!

lkgf09 repped this.
  3. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Unimas?

Oh, in English?

FXX or somebody, or whoever continues with the UCL?

4. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I think Fox sports 1 aka speed channel might take over that

5. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    It's online only, correct? (I also assume it's retransmission of the global feed, which means ESPN is paying nothing for the broadcast)

It'd be interesting to see what NBC SN will do with their online soccer content after the acquisition of the EPL and the demise of GolTV.

FWIW, beIn still has none at the moment.

6. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have/had a lot of complaints about FSC, particularly with how long it took them to go HD, their shitty production quality and such.

But I disagree with you. They did their part for American soccer. They could have done better, but they've taken the lead in a lot of places where competitors never bothered. They were the only channel to show Gold Cup games and CCL games in English, or to show US Open Cup matches. Hell, they even used to show 2nd Division (A-League and USL) matches. I wish they could have been a better partner with MLS and they should have made a better effort to keep their partnership going (and my viewership of the channel did fade when their partnership with MLS ended) but there is no way that their content decision-making was detrimental to American soccer.

ESPN never bothered with any of those competitions, and while they've slicked up their MLS presentation quite a bit in recent years, the culture around the channel is borderline hostile to the league. In fact, I would argue the over the top EPL/CL slobbering is much more a trait of ESPN, then FSC. SportsCenter, espn.com's front page, and the tickers running on the ESPN channels all regularly run EPL+CL+RM&Barca content, while barely mentioning anything about American soccer (except for USNT). I get the sense ESPN prefers meaningless summer friendlies involving Euro clubs playing vs MLS teams then actual MLS games.

(TxT) and SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  7. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    There's a possibility this good be a good move in the long run. FSC is a daily staple for the hardcore but the ratings confirm that's a very small universe indeed. If Fox can make a run at ESPN and become even the accepted number 2 all sports cable outlet and prioritize soccer given their desire to likely have better content down the road it could help mainstream the game. If they're going to have a SportsCenter type program that gains any traction MLS would be advised to get a package on one of their channels and maybe get highlights and big 5 status. In that regard NBC/Comcast has been a dissapointment so far.

8. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    And who will pick up the Club World Cup?

9. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think so, but it's light years ahead of what existed here before (which was nothing), so it's a bit hard to argue that ESPN is "pulling away" from soccer if you in any way care about reality.

This is a good time for soccer on TV/online in the U.S.

10. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Naranja With Attitude. Straight Outta Houston.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    AndyMead, JoeSoccerFan and CeltTexan repped this.
  11. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Overall I think FS1 will be a good thing for soccer and have greatly improved access, but I'd expect CCL in english to go bye-bye. Those games area all on in prime-time, and will have to compete with college basketball, MLB, etc, which will all garner much better ratings.

12. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The CCL could find a home on FS2, if that rolls out at the same time as FS1 (as is expected). I'm not expecting it, but it wouldn't surprise me either.

It's also possible that NBCSN could pick up the CCL if available.

13. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Houston we get every single CCL game with Telefutura, Galavision and FSC. It is great. If FSC dies off at least we can still get those CCL games, which to me n my buddies are great to take in with beers n grillin' on a work night ya know.

Beavis Stiffler repped this.
  14. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Marge: "You know, Fox turned into a hard core sex channel so gradually I didn't even notice."

tab5g repped this.
  15. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm more happy about it for the fact that it will transfer soccer programming from a small niche channel not available in many places/cable plans to more mainstream names such as NBC Sports and, eventually, Fox Sports.

Lithium858 and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  16. suppitty

suppitty Member

Mar 15, 2004
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine (although slightly nostalgic).

FSC/FSW filled a huge void for years, and I'm sure it will always be appreciated by some as the network that brought soccer back to the States. I remember convincing my parents back in HS to pay $5/month for the sports pack that included FSC and GolTV. This was back when FSC had all EPL, Bundesliga, MLS, and even some Argentine games. GolTV had an incredible lineup of La Liga, Serie A, and just about every league in South and Central America outside of Argentina.

I watched hours and hours of both networks. I didn't have any friends who cared about soccer beyond the World Cup, but I got my fix through watching these channels. The Fox Soccer Report with Bobby McMahon and Michelle Lissel was must-watch TV, and American Soccer on GolTV (featuring one Lindsey Dean :() is still the gold-standard for in-depth discussion of soccer in this country.

But for all their strengths, both networks were always amateur-ish when it came to in-house production. MLS games were at times unwatchable, and the cast of clowns that served as commentators on FSC (barring FSR anchors, of course) was an insult to many of the viewers. Eventually the rights fees caught up to the explosive growth of the sport in this country, and soccer on TV began moving to A) more mainstream avenues, and/or B) networks with deeper pockets.

In the end, it's a good thing that FSC's remaining high-end soccer programming will be available to more people on FS1 and (maybe) FS2. I will also be interested to see if FOX is interested in getting back into the race for MLS rights in 2014, with an eye toward airing on these "new" networks. With 2 World Cups on the horizon, and the EPL tied up with NBC, it might not be a bad fit.

17. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alan Hopkins called Argie Primera matches with passion. Who remembers those days circa 1999-2002. When Riquelme n Mathis were in their prime. 50 yard runs and hincha life love on TV. It was cable TV footy that allowed us spread across the Americas from missing their fun years. Shit like this.
    When Donovan was 19 n Messi was 13 who we never knew of. Just enjoying what was available on cable TV for footy.

18. waltlantz

waltlantz Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Wait aside from UEFA Club contests, what does Fox have as far as soccer? They have the CCL contests up until 2017 so if anything FS2 can burn them out.

19. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    They also have the FA Cup and Celtic (i.e. SPL). Bundesliga could be available if GolTV ends up folding.

We also have to remember these EPL contracts are just 3-year deals, so Fox will be back bidding again in just 2.5 years to regain the rights.

20. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    In one sense if FSC goes down it's a hard reality check for soccer fans in America/Canada.

It was imagined that a major network possibly in part because of its multinational scope saw soccer as worthy in the long run of establishing a dedicated channel.

The ratings so far even for the mighty EPL have been anything but mighty but again the thought was that Fox was in it for the long run.

Now without an anchor Fox may be ready to pull the plug and the long term vision evaporates.

Maybe Rupert Murdoch (like Sepp Blatter) is discovering from a distance what we've known for years that spectator soccer except for the big spectacles is still very much a developmental project here.

21. waltlantz

waltlantz Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Ok so that's UCL and Europa and marquee FA Cup matches that will definetly find some place on the networks. But those are still kinda "event" type programming. For example, I doubt you will get heavy coverage of the early playin rounds in any of the tournaments absent brand name clubs.

Taking a look at the schedule, CCL could have a place on the network. They'd only focus on MLS sides and even then heavily manage the schedule, due to threat of counter programming (it does seem like a relatively weak draw). But with prime time weeknight fixtures there is room and most potential for ratings growth (Euro kick off times limit potential). It also helps that there would be TWO channels. However, MLB and potential college basketball programming could very well crowd it out somewhat.

It's not quite the same as having league matches but because fox will not be as starved for content, it's not as big a deal as opposed to NBC, who really could use audience and prestiege from hosting the EPL amongst other things.

22. waltlantz

waltlantz Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Dude, bidding rights have gone UP for marquee soccer, including EPL. That's a sign that broadcasters think it's a good investment. It'd be bad if they stayed on FOX Soccer in a relative sports ghetto. This way with cross promotion you can bump up the audience even MORE.

Besides as we have seen with countless cable channels (Bravo, A/E, AMC, TLC, The Weather Channel even) diversifying and generalizing their content, narrowcasting can work but you cant get TOO narrow.

23. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    At least until the ratings come in while NBC/Comcast acquires (or doesn't) other sports properties.

Lets see where they are at the end of the contract.

Just a view from one angle though, I also agree with the potential advantages of moving out of the Murdoch ghetto.

Zoidberg repped this.
  24. waltlantz

waltlantz Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Well EPL is special as it's time slot provides it's own advantages in the form of less competition overall (for morning fixtures anyway). Plus as we have seen with FOX's Sunday telecasts and ESPNs Marquee manchester derby, EPL matches can get quite respectable ratings dependent on the teams playing.

MLS however, needs to be more worried as they are the weaker sister.

25. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem I see is that the niche channel gave us as much access as we could possibly want, including dedicated highlight shows. On a mainstream channel, it will have to compete for time and eyeballs with everything else and I'm not certain that it will stack up well long term and I am certain that programs like Fox Soccer News will go away.