Four dead in Toulouse school shooting

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Belgian guy, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Couple of quick questions.

1. Where's that 'sun' marker located. Looks like somewhere around Bulgaria or Romania?

2. Claude Gueant? The name rings a bell but isn't Sarkozy the President atm. I know you johnny foreigner chappies like to change your leaders about as often as some people change their underwear but I didn't realise you'd got to the point of doing overnight now.

2. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The police and intelligence work on patterns especially when soon to be terrorist begin to activate the cell and their network and while they had an eye on Merah because of his past, for some reasons he did not tick the boxes probably because the system is more aimed at tackling bombing attempts by islamist groups.

The thing is that there are like several dozens dossiers on the fire every day and Merah was indeed under surveillance but a guy said on French TV last night : "Every time we looked closer, there was nothing going on..."

Apparently, other youngsters with his profile (going to Pakistan, etc) have returned to their daily life after their extremist spell and simply opted out of jihadism. Now I guess that with this precedent a lot will be made to renew some of the data and procedures...

3. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yup, I'd say Bulgaria there.

Actually, our current constitution is geared towards presidential power (thanks de Gaulle) and the president is elected for 5 years ; before that it used to be 7 so let me have a laugh at your little 4 years term ! Le Ha Ha ! Oh wait, you're from England...Anyway, we're not Italy even if Berlusconi hanged there for quite a while.

Guéant is our current interior minister, the chief of police quoi...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf_cQw1ke4A&feature=related"]Toulouse Shooter Dies Jumping Out of Window During Shootout (BBC) - YouTube[/ame]

That's why that Foxnews mishap is (would be ?) such a beauty.

4. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, Bulgaria... France.... same thing really :)

5. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
  6. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It's disgusting how politicians and policemen alike all over Europe are now announcing bigger crackdowns on the Internet in the wake of this (data retention in Sweden and Germany, Sarko's idea of making visiting 'extremist' websites illegal) even though it is clear that this one is down to a failure in integration politics as well as old-school policework.

7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    You should have guessed it was fake when Fox misrepresented a Muslim terrorist as Buddhist. :p

8. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    fake or real, it's gold, jerry, gold.

on of the things about sarko is how he is able to surround himself with people even more nauseating than he is. claude guéant for one, but there's worse: jean-françois copé is probably the person on earth i'd pay the most to be able to punch on the nose; brice hortefeux who, had he been born fifty years earlier, would have without a smidgen of doubt faced a firing squad in 1945; as for nadine morano we'll be kind and say she's almost as ridiculous in real life as that faux news pic is in fun.

i digress. in the present context mister gluant distinguished himself yesterday in toulouse by doing the cheerleading and play-by-play with a mégaphone in one hand and a microphone in the other. just the thing that's proper for a cabinet minister n'est-ce pas?

9. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should have guessed it was fake, but only the Buddhist part made me suspicious, the rest fits their MO :) I mean, Buddhist was spelled correctly, that should have been a red flag ;) Sorry. Still funny as satire.

But I saw it on twitter, it must be real

10. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I second that...Sarkozy is actually the least of evils compared to his ilk and heir...I wonder how long the electoral monster that is the UMP party will survive in one block given the gap between those nutjobs and more reasonable center right folks. Probably as long as they win national elections...

If you like Sarko 2012, you'll love Copé 2017...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDjUH3rzZJk"]A Meaux, Copé fait salle comble avec Sarkozy - YouTube[/ame]

11. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The thing is, after all the crazy shit they've had on their screens over the years, WOULD it be that hard to believe it wasn't a spoof and they'd just got it wrong? I mean, really?

Mistakes happen on 24 hour news networks all over the world precisely BECAUSE they're 24 hour channels. Even the BBC had a news item yesterday that included a map of the UK with a marker for Bootle, Merseyside, (a couple of miles from Liverpool), which was shown as BROOTLE but it was fixed quite quickly.

Mind you, it's probably a more apt name for the place :D

With faux news they virtually go out of their way to tell porkies so it's only a small step really, isn't it.

12. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    It's fake. The article proves it. I know people want it to be true but it wasn't. And no it's not believable at all except for the people who really want to believe it like many here. Sorry to spoil the bubble but move on please.

13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, that's why I asked 'is it real' but to say it's not believable 'at all' is wide of the mark. Just do a google image search for 'fox news screen mistakes' and see what comes up.

Having said that I agree in a way because, as FB says, there's no WAY that faux news would miss that opportunity to blame the Muslims :D

14. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    A couple of them are also fake.

15. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    To be honest, I viewed it as a parody of the media, who typically tend ignore the religious background and motives of the perpetrator in these tragedies even after it painfully obvious what the background and motives were. The running gag is “another rabid Amish extremist goes on the rampage”… or “crazy Buddist madman kills 4 in Toontown”.

16. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    yes we know all about that, but it was just a very obvious parody of fox, with perhaps an ancillary dig at the ignorance of the people who watch it.

that's all.

17. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Where there in lies the problem... in this case the dig works better when directed at CNN or better yet MSNBC. But of course those targets are off limits.

18. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    fyp

19. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So out of the 1.24 million results of that search a couple of them are fake? For some reason that makes me feel a lot better :eek:

:)

20. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Even the ones that aren't fake, none where as clearly fake as this one. It wasn't believable and ended up being fake. People just don't accept it because they clearly wanted it to be true.

21. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So of the ones that weren't fake, there were none as fake as the fake one.

What a remarkable deduction. Been studying Wittgenstein long have yer?

22. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    I misspoke. Of the ones that are fake, this is probably the clearest one that was fake.

23. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is the 'fakeyest' y'mean. Yeah, well, no argument there :)

24. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    It's not my fault you got fooled and can't let it go.

25. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Have too... :mad:

:D