Former Barca Players II - from Assulin to Zambrotta

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Gilmango, May 21, 2012.

1. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Signed to replace Larsson who'd just led to only the 2nd ever European championship = doomed to failure. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eiður_Guðjohnsen

What was the old thread involving someone eating a laptop if Eidur did not score at least X goals in his first season with Barca? (I seem to recall it was a respectable # of goals, say 10-15 in Liga, or 15-20 overall; and the thread poster thought he'd achieve it - but I could have that all wrong).

Meanwhile, per Wikipedia's player page he managed just 10 goals in 72 games over 3 seasons (but sometimes those Wikipedia stats are limited to Liga only, hard to be sure, point is that if I have the facts right a laptop should have been ingested.

Eidur was also one of the latest Barca to Monaco players, pre Abidal and perhaps Valdes. Unfortunately, he seemingly had a gambling problem so maybe Monaco was not the best spot to be.

2. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/...-post-match-thread.417255/page-3#post-9704797
    Note Lucho's reply immediately after. He certainly was never shy to offer his opinion on others. lol :D
    Some great posters in that thread that I'd forgotten about over the years.

inswinger and Gilmango repped this.
  3. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  4. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  5. Zincubus

Zincubus Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Ibra my hero ... He's a classy guy in my eyes !

As regards the World Player voting , Ibra showed true class in voting for Ribery / Messi / Ronaldo ......so he voted for his three biggest challengers !

Many of the top players chose lesser rated players . Ronaldo didn't even have Messi in his top three !!!!

6. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    And Messi didn't have C.Ronaldo. lol I don't think either have ever voted for each other.

Zlatan is fairly straight-up when it comes to voting for the Ballon.
    His previous votes...

2010:
    1- Iniesta
    2- Sneijder
    3- Xavi

2011:
    1- Messi
    2- Rooney
    3- Iniesta

2012:
    1- Xavi
    2- Pirlo
    3- Messi

7. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    when has zlatan ever been a challenger for the balon d'or?
    this year was as close as he's ever got.

8. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If you want to fail winning Chammpions league, buy Zlatan.

9. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eto'o with a nice if deflected outside the box score for Chelsea against Manu today.

10. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    x2 :D

11. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it foolish to dream that Eto'o could want to come back to play in Spain in his twilight years to play a rotation role a la Larsson?

Although the way things are going today, maybe that player who returns to Spain is Fernando Torres.

12. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    X3!

Torres, pretty sure Sanchez will give up number 9, just saying.

13. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    ooh! hattrick!

foolish? no. but unlikely.

14. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  15. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keita just signed to Valencia to finish out the year, option for one more year (presumably Valencia's option). Not expected to play this weekend (travel? too late to be included in match squad? still to take medical?). Welcome back Seydou, wish you'd never left, not that you could play on our D line any better than Song.

inswinger repped this.
  16. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yes! I'm a firm believer of 'Once a Blaugrana, Always a Blaugrana' insofar as I like to see former Barca players do well after they leave... except for some pig-faced mofo and any others like him.

17. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know we're kinda mad at him but seriously, he was the 4th of 6 attacking midfielders here (JDS and S'berto behind him, y'all know who in front) and we did get paid 8 figures for the first time since Yaya left (Zlatan does not count, as when you accept .33 cents on the dollar, paid over time, it can never be counted as getting paid).

anyways, great goal: http://www.marca.com/2014/01/29/futbol/futbol_internacional/bundesliga/1391029686.html

18. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Keita's now played for 3 of the ostensible La Liga 'Big 4' (sorry Villarreal but you were relegated not too long ago and Atletico, you've been taking care of business lately but still aren't that far off from some truly stinky performances against LPB); has anyone in recent memory played for Barca, LPB, Valencia, and Sevilla in their career?

Saviola is 3/4 also.

19. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Well, Mendieta was at Bilbao, Valencia, and Barça. And I'd say historically Athletic is top 5 or 6 La Liga club.

20. NYfan

NYfan Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Keita would have made a lot of sense as a loan deal for Arsenal which needs midfield depth. Oh well, their loss and La Liga's gain!

21. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  22. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeffren Suarez to Real Vallodolid from Sporting Lisbon where he'd fallen so far as to be with their B team and still not playing. Good luck Jeffren. Another of the rare instances of Barca selling at the right time for a profit. Pretty certain we are not getting another penny based on the clause outlined below:

From his Wikipedia page:
    On 4 August 2011, Sporting Clube de Portugal signed Jeffrén for €3.75 million, plus €200,000 in bonus. He penned a 5-year contract with a buy-out clause of €30 million. In addition, If the Lisbon club sold the player for a fee higher than €3.75M, Barcelona would receive 20% of the added value/differential value.[21][22] The Catalans also retained an exclusive buy-back option for €8million and €12 million, in 2012 and 2013 respectively.[23]

23. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Laudrup sacked by Swansea. So much for that love affair.

24. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Wow... On Guardian Football Weekly podcast they had mentioned how he tends to have great debut seasons with new clubs then a terrible sophomore slump. Wonder where he'll pop up next--think his next move is "up" to a more prestigious club or "down" to a smaller club/league?

25. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona