Former Ayr United manager Brian Reid moving to the Philippines

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by stellarboy, Jan 6, 2013.

1. stellarboy

stellarboy Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Davao City
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    [​IMG]

Former Ayr United F.C. manager Brian Reid is moving to the Philippines to head the country's current league champions Global F.C.

http://globalfc.ph/news/global-set-unveil-new-coach

2. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Hope he does a better job than he did trying to sell my house.

3. stellarboy

stellarboy Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Davao City
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Can anyone tell me if Reid was doing some other job after he left Ayr United? It's a long seven-month lull before a club requested his services, so it's impossible he wasn't doing anything during that time. Maybe a scout for some club elsewhere, maybe in England?

4. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I'm not sure.

He was an estate agent for a while (as per my post previously) but that was about 5-6yrs ago.

5. stellarboy

stellarboy Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Davao City
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Oh I see. I thought you were joking about him selling your house. I heard he went to England for a short time after he got sacked from Ayr. I wonder where exactly he was and what was he doing there, maybe finding a club who would want to hire him? Maybe the media here in the Philippines will have an idea once he arrives.

Can I also ask how was he at Ayr? We Filipinos want to have an idea of how good he really is before he sets foot at Global FC.

6. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Sorry. Can't give you much info regarding that. I do know he was quoted as being a contender for the Raith Rovers position in the summer at one point.

Again, I can't really give you much info on that either. Ayr, like many clubs in Scotland, were working within a very limited budget whilst Reid was manager.

He did last 4yrs at the club so he must have been doing something right. Although, when he resigned they had just been relegated to division 2.

7. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    I think the general consensus in 'decent/good but not great'.

When he arrived, Ayr were struggling in the 2nd division and I think he turned it around a bit and managed to save them from relegation in the fist season. In his first full season, they finished 2nd and then won the play-offs to get promoted to the first. They only just missed out on the league and Reid did build a good team. They finished bottom of the 1st division the following season though. In 10/11, Reid again finished in 2nd place in the 2nd division and ended up winning the play-offs, although they finished a long way behind Livingston. Last season they finished 2nd bottom of the 1st division and lost in the play-offs. His contract was not renewed after that. Ayr brought in a new manager for this season and are struggling pretty badly in the 2nd division. Make of that what you will.

8. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    He did a decent enough job at Ayr - he failed to get them playing above their level, but never dipped under it. He helped them to promotion to SFL1 a couple of times, but they were relegated straight away both times. It's very difficult for a part-time team like Ayr to survive a season in SFL1. On the last day of the 08/09 season they were winning at half time against Morton, but lost 2-1 to go down. And last season they were relegated through the play-offs (but had a decent season with 38 points). They are currently 8th in SFL - so they they are doing much worse without him.

Reid probably gave Ayr their best spell in the last 10 years or so. But their fans were still a bit mixed on him and were, on the whole, happy to see him leave in the end. It's difficult to say how he'll do over there.

9. stellarboy

stellarboy Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Davao City
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Thanks for your input. Will relay them to the Philippines thread here on the site soon. Do visit the thread if you can.

I managed to find his LinkedIn profile on the Web. I'm not sure if this is accurate, but it says here that he has been a "scout and match reporter" at Bristol City in the past 7 months since he left Ayr.

http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/brian-reid/5b/752/16a

There have been positive reactions from our side here in the Philippines, though, as our local league, the United Football League, is still very young (only established 2009) and we haven't had managers of this calibre before, given his decent credentials. His entry somewhat indicated a sign that there will be an increase in competitiveness for our clubs in the years to come, most especially that the Philippines has recently been allowed entry to the AFC President's Cup, the third tier of Asia's international club competitions. If he does a decent job managing Global and take them to at least the final stages of this year's President's Cup, the rival clubs might just follow suit.

Cheers!

10. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    He's a mate of Derek McInnes (Bristol City manager), so it doesn't suprise me that he was doing some work for them.

11. stellarboy

stellarboy Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Davao City
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    My friend in the Philippines thread is asking if anyone has an idea if Reid prefers the long-ball style or the possession-type of play. Just curious.

12. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    From my experience of his teams, they were more of a possession type of side. I always thought they played pretty good football under Reid. I think he usually liked to build the side around a few 'tougher' players and then went mostly for decent footballers. It wouldn't surprise me if he tried to sign a couple of these 'tougher' guys he knows from Scotland. As I think they were usually experienced guys he knew he could rely on. Depends what the budgets are like compared to the Scottish 1st/2nd division I suppose.

13. stellarboy

stellarboy Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Davao City
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines