Former Athletica Players

Discussion in 'Saint Louis Athletica' started by Cville K C, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That makes sense since Cinalli was working in the Chicago area. That's two Athletica alumni for Chicago with Weber and Cinalli.

2. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just kind of a feel good note for us Athletica fans from Hope via twitter:

"The goose whisperer could be my favorite! ;) the best fans were in STL!"

:)

Rokagrl, I hope you read this because all the hard work you did with Laclede's Army had a lot to do with that.

3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    QFT - undeniable truth!

4. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in awe - and very jealous - of what Laclede's Army managed to accomplish.

5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Umm... I don't know if this is a typo or extreme coincidence or something, but... check out the last AR from the North American zone... o_O

6. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a typo, just two different people with the same name. That Veronica Perez has reffed many WPS matches and international matches for that matter.

Nope, just a coincidence. Our (Athletica's) Veronica has made the Mexican team for the World Cup....

http://www.femexfut.org.mx/portalv2/aspx/WEB_DetalleNoticia.aspx?pnIDNtca=33008

In fact, their roster sheet still lists her with Saint Louis Athletica.

7. sisyphus

sisyphus Member

Apr 17, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago
    Do the Athletica fans out there realize that Amanda Cinalli and Elise Weber are still playing for the Chicago Red Stars in WPSL -- and playing very well?

8. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew they were playing for them, but their season just started, at least their regular season just started. It's not surprising to me that they would do well. I honestly think both could be playing for Atlanta right now. Of course, Cinalli did last year.

9. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since the World Cup starts on Sunday, I thought I would list the various former Athletica players that will be in Germany:

Group A
    Canada: Melissa Tancredi

Group B
    England: Eniola Aluko, Anita Asante
    Japan: Aya Miyama
    Mexico: Veronica Perez

Group C
    United States: Hope Solo, Jill Loyden, Shannon Boxx
    Sweden: Sara Larsson, Madelaine Edlund

Group D
    Brazil: Elaine, Francielle

Lindsay Tarpley was named to the United States team but was injured, so will not be there. Not a former Athletica player, but from St. Louis, Becky Sauerbrunn is also on the United States team.

I hope I didn't forget anybody.

Group A games are played on June 26, June 30, and July 5.
    Group B games are played on June 27, July 1 and July 5.
    Group C games are played on June 28, July 2, and July 6.
    Group D games are played on June 29, July 3, and July 6.

The quarterfinals are on July 9 and July 10.
    The semifinals are on July 13.
    Third place game is on July 16.
    Final is on July 17.

All games are on one of the ESPN's

10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I was kinda waiting until after all first round games to make a comment, so I could talk about all Athletica players, but on KSDK this evening, not only was Hope mentioned in her shutout of NKorea, but the fact she was an Athletica player also made the broadcast. It made me :D

11. Mosan

Mosan Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Munich
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Darn. I miss my Athletica. *sniff*

You don`t have any (hard to come by) news of Daniela Cville do you?

12. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone on one of the World Cup forums said she had to retire. I hope not, but the injury was a really bad one (actually multiple injuries on the same play). She was such a good player and fun to watch when she was on her game. But like you said, it's hard to find news since she isn't playing.

Through two games in group stages, here's how our (former) Athletica players are doing:

United States:
    Hope Solo has posted shutouts in both games for the USA against North Korea and Colombia. She has not been tested all that much so far.
    Shannon Boxx played 90 minutes in the opening game against North Korea and was rested in the second match.
    Jill Loyden has not played.

Canada:
    Melissa Tancredi played 80 minutes in Canada's opener against Germany (although admittedly was not one of Tanc's better games) and came on as a second half substitution against France.

Mexico:
    Veronica Perez had to sit out Mexico's opening match against England because of a red card she received in the Concacaf Final. She started and played 79 minutes against Japan.

Japan:
    Aya Miyama scored the game winning goal on a brilliant free kick against New Zealand. She also (unofficially) earned two assists in Japan's victory over Mexico, again both on pinpoint set pieces, one corner and one free kick, with Homare Sawa heading both into the net.

England:
    Eniola Aluko played 90 minutes in England's opener against Mexico, but had a largely frustrating day. I thought she might have looked a bit better in her 45 minutes against New Zealand, but she is in a bit of a slump right now.

Anita Asante has not played.

Sweden:
    Sara Larsson has played 90 minutes as a central defender in both of Sweden's matches, both of which were shutouts.

Madelaine Edlund came on as a 2nd half substitution in Sweden's opener against Colombia and did not play against North Korea.

Brazil:
    Francielle came on as a 2nd half substitution in both of Brazil's matches, in the 84th minute against Australia and in the 76th minute against Norway.

Elaine has not played.

And in WPS news, former Athletica defender/midfielder Sheree Gray, who was with the team in 2009, was just signed by Sky Blue FC.

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/Home/ny/news/press_releases/110701-gray-signing.aspx

13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    "Unofficially"? :confused: Almost all of the game reports I've read explicitly mention the Miyama-to-Sawa brace...
    She's been "in a slump" ever since Athletica folded. :( I'm starting to think that something about the team made her a better striker than she really is.

14. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure FIFA counts assists as an official statistic. It's never in their boxscores of matches like it is in WPS. But there is no doubt that if it was an official statistic, she should have two.

Aluko scored six goals in her first year with Athletica. Then she scored nine goals in her second year, four with Athletica and five with Atlanta. So far, only one with Sky Blue. Minutes played per goal over the three years:

2009: 1503 minutes, 6 goals (one goal every 250.5 minutes)
    2010: 1608 minutes, 9 goals (one goal every 178.7 minutes)
    2011: 558 minutes, 1 goal (one goal every 558 minutes)

Even after she went to Atlanta last year, her minutes played per goal was comparable to her first year with Athletica (1102 minutes, 5 goals, one goal every 220.4 minutes). She was at her best in early 2010 with Athletica, I think largely because of Shannon Boxx who assisted on a few of those goals.

While the slump with Sky Blue is a bit alarming, the one for the national team is the scary one. In the 2009 Euros, she scored three goals in six matches (441 minutes). She's played in 13 official matches for England since then and scored twice, with none in her last seven matches (since September of 2010).

She is offsides a lot, she gets frustrated easily, and relies a lot on her speed, maybe too much. If I'm not mistaken, she heavily leans toward the right foot. She is at her best when playing in the middle in my opinion, instead of playing toward the outside.

In my opinion, she needs to be more patient. Her game has stagnated a bit and opposing defenses have figured out how to play her. I still think she's better than a lot of people are giving her credit for, but she really hasn't showed it since the 2010 WPS season.

15. marctol

marctol Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Club:
    Botafogo Rio Janeiro
    That would be me. :) And yes, it's true, Daniela had to retire because of her knee injury. Also, I recently read that she opened her own business, a butcher shop.

16. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should have remembered it was you.:) Unfortunately, I still have to spread it around, before I can rep you again.

Well, that's sad to hear about Daniela. She only played four matches for Saint Louis, but I still remember her great match against Washington before she was injured. Her long-range blast in that match is still one of the best strikes I've seen in the WPS. Not to mention she scored the first two goals ever for our Athletica team.

17. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Covered.

18. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Oh man, that is horrible news. It actually angers me to read that given how the injury occurred:rolleyes:. Too bad Daniela couldn't stay in the game in a different form.

What happened to the Athletica's coach? Is he back in Brasil too?

19. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was wondering about Jorge as well. I thought he was a good coach, but I just thought the world of him as a person. I think I've mentioned before (probably multiple times) how much this man loved soccer and everything about it. He was great with fans, he always had big hugs for everyone that hung around after Athletica matches.

I remember he was apologizing to all the fans when we got beat in the semifinals in 2009. Heck Jorge, we were just glad to get that far.

I think Daniela stayed with Athletica, even after the team officially released her when it was obvious she wasn't going to be able to play for them. I remember seeing her in the lobby at Busch Soccer Park after the 2010 matches right before Athletica folded. Perhaps, she even stayed with Jorge's family, but I'm not sure.

One of my favorite memories was in our 2010 opener against Gold Pride. One of Jorge's young daughters brought Elaine over to sit in our cheering section. She acted as Elaine's translator and rokagrl even got Elaine to spray her hair green and become one of our drummers.

The funniest thing was when Marta came to take a corner right in front of us and Elaine yelled something down to Marta in Portuguese. Marta looked up to see who it was that had yelled and then she smiled when she realized it was her Brazilian teammate.

[​IMG]

20. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think I heard somewhere that he's coaching one of Brazil's U-whatever teams now. I don't remember who said it or where, though, so that could be completely wrong.... >.> <.<

21. marctol

marctol Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Club:
    Botafogo Rio Janeiro
    That would be me too. :D Barcellos is coaching Brazil's U20 team again, like he did before taking charge of the national team in 2006.

22. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Ah! Thanks. :D Duly repped.

23. And G

And G Member+

Jan 31, 2010
    Club:
    Okayama Yunogo Belle
  24. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. flamepruf

flamepruf New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Jackson, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember being taken aback when Jorge insisted on hugging everyone after a game. lol No hand shakes for that man..haha.

Damn I miss those matches.