Former Athletica Players

Discussion in 'Saint Louis Athletica' started by Cville K C, Jun 13, 2010.

1. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's awful. I'm glad I got to meet her and shake her hand last year at the Athletica's home opener.

Hopefully an opportunity will arise and she's healthy enough to comeback as midfielder. I guess it will take an injury in the USWNT lineup for that but at least Chalupny should be an alternate.

2. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Several former Athletica players will be participating in the Four Nations Tournament which starts tomorrow (1:30 am) in China.

Ashlyn Harris, Shannon Boxx, and Lindsay Tarpley will be playing for the USA.

Sara Larsson and Madelaine Edlund are on the Swedish roster, although neither is listed as a starter for Friday's match.

Melissa Tancredi is on Canada's roster for the tournament.

I hope I have the times right...

Schedule (times in central time zone):
    January 21
    USA vs. Sweden (1:35 am)
    Canada vs. China (4:35 am)

January 23
    China vs. Sweden (2:05 am)
    USA vs. Canada (5:05 am)

January 25
    Canada vs. Sweden (1:35 am)
    USA vs. China (4:35 am)

3. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any TV coverage?

4. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt it. The only thing the story at the US Soccer site said was to follow on twitter. I'm not even sure about matchtracker.

5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    We were lucky to get WWC qualifying games on TV. I highly doubt anything other than WWC and Olympics games will ever be broadcast for years to come. That's what the story was back when WPS started and it hasn't changed yet.

6. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back in the Mia Hamm days I recall the 4 Nations and/or other tourneys were on TV.

7. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the Four Nations Tournament, the US dropped the opener to Sweden 2-1. Canada won 3-2 over China.

Former Athletica Players:
    USA
    Shannon Boxx started and played the 1st half.
    Ashlyn Harris was the backup keeper and did not play.
    Lindsay Tarpley was apparently not active for the match.

Sweden
    Madelaine Edlund subbed in the 73rd minute and according to accounts of the game, came close to scoring but Barnhart made a good save.
    Sara Larsson was not active.

Canada
    Melissa Tancredi had a big game for Canada scoring the 1st goal and then assisting on the final two goals by Christine Sinclair. Congrats to the Tank!

8. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, that's pretty shocking. The USWNT could be slipping as a world powerhouse.

They already lost to or tied Mexico when in the past it would've been 8-0 or something. LOL

9. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sydney FC (with former Athletica developmental player Lydia Vandenbergh) defeated Melbourne (with former Athletica defensive midfielder Kendall Fletcher) 5-1 in the Aussie W-League semifinals. Sydney now faces Brisbane in the finals.

10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Could? I think most people in the USWNT forum would say they have been slipping since early '09.
    (To be fair, they did end up winning the Four Nations tourney - though on a tiebreaker only.)

Ouch... That's about as bad as the WPS final last year... Oh well, good luck to Lydia in the final!

11. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Various WPS training camps for former players:

Atlanta Beat: Lori Chalupny, Kristina Larsen, India Trotter.
    Boston Breakers: Niki Cross.
    magicJack's Washington Freedom: Shannon Boxx, Tina Ellertson, Hope Solo, Lindsay Tarpley.
    Philadelphia: Christina DiMartino, Kia McNeill.
    Sky Blue FC: Eniola Aluko, Anita Asante, Carolyn Blank, Kendall Fletcher, Angie Kerr.
    Western New York Flash: Ashlyn Harris.

Looks like Sky Blue leads with five Athletica alumni, followed by magicJack's with four, Atlanta with three, Philadelphia with two, and Boston and WNY with one each.

12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, now that the WLS site seems somewhat functional, I see that Amanda Cinalli (and fellow WPS refugee Danesha Adamas) is playing with Cleavland FC (link). Apparently Cinalli's played with Cleavland quite often in the past. Article's almost a month old, though, and not much seems to happening on WLS's site - even less than on WPS's stie.

13. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think (at least the way I read the story) that Cinalli and Adams once played for Cleveland FC in youth leagues, but are not going to be part of the WLS teams. Danesha Adams is with Philadelphia, so she wouldn't be able to play with Cleveland anyway, unless she gets cut.

Cinalli, according to her linkedin page, is working in Chicago as a restaurant host(ess) and will be attending nursing school this coming fall.

14. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Wait.... what...?
    *re-reads article*
    *Sees the word "previous" this time*
    *headdesks*

15. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It happens to all of us. Just don't hurt yourself, because I've got to believe the desk will ultimately win that battle.:D

16. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see that Sky Blue defeated Fortuna Hjørring on penalty kicks. Aluko, Kerr, Blank, and Fletcher all made theirs, with Fletcher converting the final Sky Blue kick for the 7-6 win in PK's. Hope the ladies are enjoying Turkey.

17. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only four teams played in the opening weekend, but several former Athletica players saw action.

For Atlanta, Lori Chalupny, India Trotter, and Kristina Larsen started in the 4-1 loss to Boston.

Sky Blue started four former Athletica players, Eni Aluko, Kendall Fletcher, Carolyn Blank, and Anita Asante (I know she only played in one match for Saint Louis). Angie Kerr later subbed for Fletcher, who came off the field limping a bit late in the match.

Philadelphia started two former Athletica players, Tina DiMartino and Kia McNeill. DiMartino scored the tying goal in stoppage time for the Independence.

Other former players on rosters: Niki Cross (Boston), Shannon Boxx (magicJack), Jill Loyden (magicJack), Hope Solo (magicJack), Lindsay Tarpley (magicJack), Ashlyn Harris (Western New York).

magicJack and Western New York play their season openers next weekend.

18. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, I just heard of WLS right now and just checked out their site. Nice crowd in the Ft. Wayne Indiana pic. Any chance St.Louis could get a team?

Of course it won't be the same without all the stars we had but better than nothing.

19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Perez has scored again for Mexico, this time the first of three goals for Mexico in a 3-2 victory over Columbia.
    http://www.caracol.com.co/nota.aspx?id=1459036

20. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice find! That's a good win for Mexico, given Colombia has qualified for the World Cup as well. The US gets a rematch against Mexico on June 5 at Red Bull Arena in our World Cup send off match.

Additional news on the former player front:

Jill Loyden posted a shutout for magicJack (subbing for the suspended Hope Solo). Also seeing action for magicJack were former Athletica players Lindsay Tarpley and Shannon Boxx.

Lori Chalupny, India Trotter, and Kristina Larsen will be in action today for Atlanta on FSC against the Flash, who has Ashlyn Harris.

The WPSL, W-League, and WLS seasons will be starting soon, so we might find out about some more former Athletica players when these teams start playing regular season matches.

21. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those of you who didn't get a chance to watch tonight's game between Atlanta and Western New York, please catch the highlights when they come up in a few days on the WPS site. Chalupny scored a beautiful goal for the Beat. In fact, all four goals (Chalupny and Lloyd for Atlanta and Sinclair and Marta for WNY) were excellent.

Keeping my fingers crossed for Chalupny as Player of the Week.

Larsen and Trotter both came is as second half substitutions in the match. Ashlyn Harris played the entire match in goal for WNY.

22. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Trotter ever actually play for Athletica, or was she just drafted?

23. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    As per her player profile on the WPS site, she logged 34 minutes over three games for Athletica. X-D

24. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She was drafted by Athletica in the general draft back in 2008, but supposedly announced that she was retiring after playing in Europe and didn't play in 2009. However, she was invited to Athletica's camp in 2010 and made the team. She came in as a sub in some of the early games before the team disbanded. I don't think she was quite in game shape yet when she was here and would have logged more playing time had the season progressed.

Kristina Larsen never actually played a regular season game in Saint Louis. She was their top draft pick (2nd round) in 2010, but broke her foot either in training or in a preseason game. By the time I got a chance to see her, she was already on crutches and obviously didn't get in any action before the team disbanded. But I still consider Larsen a former Athletica player because she was on the roster during the regular season. Similarly, Lydia Vandenbergh, Katie Spisak, Ashlyn Harris never played for Athletica in the regular season. Mexican National Team player Veronica Perez got in for a mere one minute in one game, but was on the roster for the entire six weeks of the 2010 season.

My basic criteria for "Former Athletica Players" is anybody who was on the active roster at any time after the regular season started, whether it be full roster or developmental. If you made the team and were on the roster, as far as I'm concerned, you were part of the team and an Athletica player. To me, they were all part of the Athletica family (such that it was in the short time they were in St. Louis).

Nikki Washington, on the other hand, was never actually signed by Athletica as far as I know, although they obtained her rights a few weeks before disbanding. So I don't include Washington when speaking of former Athletica players.

Edit: After checking the 2010 stats for Athletica, I can see where one might think Trotter didn't actually play for Athletica. For some reason, she is absent from the team statistics. If you add the totals for the team, you will find them to be 34 minutes short, presumably Trotter's 34 minutes. Her individual stats at the WPS website do include her being with Athletica.

25. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Okay, after my faux pas earlier, something current about Cinalli:
    http://www.wpsl.info/news/index.php/?cat=1&id=1225