Former AS Monaco President Jérôme de Bontin Takes over for Soler

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Slim_Tim501, Oct 2, 2012.

1. GMangs

GMangs Red Card

Apr 21, 2012
    NJ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He could win it and he still wouldn't be back.

2. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope they win it and then he's fired just to show everyone how completely idiotic the heads in Austria are.

3. harvest00

harvest00 Member

May 16, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nooooooooooooo..............please!
    If he is the best player in MLS, what will the soccer world thinking of MLS, our best offer is a overaged player, LOL.
    Trade our best Henry for Messi please !

4. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK genius, who is better than Henry his year in MLS???

5. GMangs

GMangs Red Card

Apr 21, 2012
    NJ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Wondo will be MVP

6. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    With 25 goals and 7 assistants and counting, he will get my vote any time....

7. harvest00

harvest00 Member

May 16, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Wondo will be MVP .

8. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/teams/redbulls2.php?article_id=31908

Some more insight into the firing of Soler, particularly the motivation behind the timing. A lot of his removal seems to be around his willingness to spend big without a tangible return on the field, and that he was simply a pain in the ass to work with. The explanation behind the timing makes a bit of sense, de Bontin wanted to get a sense of where the issues within the club lie without Soler's interference considering they were going to remove him anyway. I know everybody here is freaking out about how its a distraction to the players, but just for some perspective here was Lloyd Sam's take on the whole thing:

“It’s not even a distraction for me, it doesn’t affect me," he said after training at Montclair State earlier this week. "The manager is still the same, the training is still the same. Not much has actually changed for me, I guess it’s not a distraction really.”

“I don’t even know what that means that things have changed.”

9. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Whit a player of the calibre of Henry, YES.... He will play maybe 23 games this year several of this games part time, if he will play the average 32 games of 34, probably we could win 2, 3 or more games and will not be in this problem where we are more closed to be out of the play off than in, but he is old, he can't play full time three games in a row and he get hurt frequently and he will miss this year 1/3 of the games and 1/2 of the games next season, so, yes, the minutes of playing and not grazing like a lousy cow on the field are of significance for me....

10. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Thanks - interesting read. This was what stood out to me: Last summer Soler hired Chris Heck as president of business operations. Heck is a former NBA executive with ties to the Portland Timbers but the move was not without flaws. Season ticket numbers declined as did overall attendance and Heck was relieved of his duties in August. Heck's duties have been divided up among multiple employees in Red Bulls upper management.

Soler has to share a lot of the blame of the disaster that was Chris Heck and while I think he's done a decent job on the field, you can't spend that much on a guy like Marquez and have nothing to show for it. It seemed like a reasonable choice at the time, but was pretty much an unmitigated disaster.

11. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I for one said it was a terrible idea at the time so....

...told you so? ;)

12. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    You still had to wait until 2011 to say it, remember the crazy days of fall 2010 where everyone thought Henry was a bust and was pumped about Marquez?

13. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do, but I said from the minute he signed that I was not interested in him playing for us at all.

I got trashed by some Red Bull fans who said I couldn't seperate club from country.

Hmmm...

14. jeremydneezy

jeremydneezy Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I distinctly remember thinking "Well I guess I have to root for one of my most hated players." So I guess I should thank him - at least he's spared me from cheering on his exploits :rolleyes:

kokoplus10 repped this.
  15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Note a huge surprise that Sam would say this. How long has he been w/ the team 1-2 months?

One sentence stood out in this article, literally:

So apparently Soler was a worry budget-wise. Plus the general theme that he wasn't easy to work with. And Marquez has been a deal from hell (I never wanted Rafa but at the same time I never thought he would be quite the liability he's been on a few fronts). Plus I'd love to hear what happened with the bizarre DeRo deal. Yeah we got Dax in the trade (who I like a lot) but DeRo went on to be league MVP right after his short stay at Red Bulls. I don't know the details but I wondered if Soler screwed up with DeRo.

16. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cant believe the article mentioned Salou in the Soler performance review!!
    I had already forgotten about Salou!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

17. harvest00

harvest00 Member

May 16, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Very good post, the timing is right for change the management, since as you said RB did not get a tangible return on the field.
    De Bontin's coming telling all of us that the 2013 season the RB organization will not tolerant the lackadaisical performances on the field.
    We will see a team effort in Saturday's game against KC, simply put, the players know de Bontin is serious and their meal tickets are at risk.
    Shake ups are forethcoming IMO.

18. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to say this , but with Conde out and with the current form of the team, the game against KC this weekend looks like it is going to be a loss.....:( So i guess that will mean the end of a lot of things going into the playoffs....

19. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Its true, and Cahill who has only been here for another month longer than Sam said something along the same lines. Henry and Petke were the only other guys I could find with statements on the issue, who obviously have been around much longer, and both said something along the lines of "Its not an ideal time to make the change but the team is still going to push forward anyway."

Its not that Soler specifically leaving will have an impact on the players, how often do we believe they ever even interacted with him? Its just the idea of the shake up in general that might unsettle players, but I maintain that they're professional competitors and won't let some behind the scenes changes affect their efforts.

20. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Henry and Cahill to Bontin:
    Hire Peter Vermes as our next coach

21. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He would be perfect, was our captain way back when in 1996 or so I believe. I like him and also like Kreis as they would develop a young , hungry team that plays like they did, all-out!!!

22. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Now that players of the calibre of Henry and Cahill find out that the answer is:
    THE COACH STUPID
    I expect that some fans around come to the conclusion that fire The Wizard isn't that bad, without mattering the time of the season....Because him and his boss are the really problems and not the players. ...Can you imagine a coach that can't bring the good of players like De Ro, Agudelo and Hertzog, but if they play some place else they respond according the circumstances and most of the time they do excellent job in any other coach hands....

23. harvest00

harvest00 Member

May 16, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Yeah, that will be great for the fans as well as the gate, de Bontin may steer the team in this exciting direction.
    Big name, old player can only serve the purpose of bringing in the fans for a short period of time.

24. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Big names, old players bring fans in if they play constantly every game, but if they will be out a game of every 3 games; or grassing on the field the majority of the time, or trotting at a step of a tiered old donkey, them they will not show...... This is a game for young people, the old the ones rejected for others team, is because they time is over and have not business in this kind of sport....

25. theENFORCER

theENFORCER Member

Apr 10, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vermes is one of the premier coaches in the league and how exactly are we going to get him? Does his contract end after the season or something?

Who are some potential candidates? Steve Nikol? Bob Bradley? Rafa Benitez? Mike Petke? JPA? Carl Robinson?