Foreign Press on the Group of Death

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Hobo, Dec 6, 2013.

1. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    lol

[​IMG]

2. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    I dont think anyone is actually saying that is the reason Uruguays group is the toughest, thats just media reminding people of history because they need something to talk about, covering all the storylines.

People say it may be the toughest because Uruguay, Italy and England are all really good teams right now

3. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    True, but you do understand why a team like the US or Ghana would much prefer Tahiti as opposed to each other? In your hypothetical group we have only have to finish above Portugal - a much easier ask than finishing above Portugal and Ghana along with a top seed that gives us no hope for first.

4. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    I'd like our chances against Italy and England over Germany and Portugal. Though Uruguay is stronger than Ghana, so either group would be very difficult from our perspective.

5. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is why the USA would want to do whatever they can, and pull off the impossible, that being topping the group. Not only would we likely avoid Belgium and instead face either Russia, Algeria, or S. Korea (teams that are beatable for the USMNT), but a win in the Round of 16 from that side of the bracket would mean they have a quarterfinal on the 4th of July, which would likely be the biggest game in USMNT history, and that's saying a lot

6. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    I don't think it's a given that Belgium finishes above Russia. Those two are my clear favorites to advance, but it's a bit of a toss up over the order.

Dr. Gamera repped this.
  7. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Yes, of course.

8. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least we are not in Australia's position from Pot 3.

CREN, exref and raza_rebel repped this.
  9. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Yeah, we definitely could have been drawn into a worse group. Had we ended up with Spain/Netherlands for example. I like our changes of finishing above Portugal/Ghana for second way better than finishing above either of those. I do think we have an inarguably tough group and a case can be made for the quality of teams from top to bottom being the best of the whole draw, but it's not worst case scenario by any stretch. There were some really strong teams in the second Euro pot this time around we could have drawn. Portugal is far from the strongest team there, and drawing Ghana was clearly not one of the weaker teams from Africa/South America, but we could have done worse there as well. And we were always going to be a massive underdog against at least 7 of the 8 top seeds.

CyphaPSU repped this.
  10. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking Belgium tops the group while S. Korea finishes 2nd. Not really sold on the Russians. Due to the fact that, while they are talented, their performances in major tournaments since the fall of the USSR haven't exactly been impressive (Euro 2008 being an exception). There's always this nagging feeling that they'll disappoint

11. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Typical euro centric ignorance. He only praises the US by complementing a German.

DiscoWarrior11, gunnerfan7 and Hobo repped this.
  12. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    #112 deejay, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
    I am from Bolivia and I've never heard of any WC group having three super powers. Up until now all groups of death have been four teams with the acknowledged capacity to regularly reach the second round. That is to a T what is happening in this group.

Famous groups of death have been:

1986: Germany, Uruguay, Denmark, Scotland
    1994: Italy, Ireland, Mexico, Norway
    1998: Spain, Paraguay, Nigeria, Bulgaria
    2002: Argentina, Nigeria, England, Sweden

This group is well within those famous acknowledged groups of death.

orcrist, CREN, LGRod and 5 others repped this.
  13. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't say that they think they are. I said they think they should be. In other words, even they know they aren't a favorite next summer, but due to having invented the sport almost two centuries ago, they are upset that they aren't the best at it any more.

14. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yes, but Germany's point of view is quite useless in the group stage. Their typical expectation is a semi-final berth. It's been a long time since Germany was in trouble in a group stage so I'm not sure that they can typically identify what is tough anyway.

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read this thread.

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. What's missing in alot of this discussion is that the US is one of the reasons this group is the toughest. If we had had Netherlands/Spain instead of Portugal/Germany, and arguably Chile instead of Ghana, it'd be one of the toughest groups of all time.

17. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Yup, I think the US group was always likely to be a strong group because we were one of the strongest teams in the weakest pot. Most teams we would feel comfortably favored to play against were in our own pot.

18. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    I guess the thread title "Foreign Press on the Group of Death" includes the German point of view.

19. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ive already posted some translations on Germany's pov of the draw but of course the media has already started, when talking about the other teams, the Löw-Klinsmann duel campaign:

Geneva and Guinho repped this.
  20. Soul Rebel

Soul Rebel Member

Dec 6, 2013
    USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Funny. I thought you were talking about Holland. :D

21. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Well, for quite a few years now anyone not Spain has been an also ran. But outside Spain, Germany has been as successful as anyone.

22. Lothar

Lothar Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Tuscaloosa
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.zeit.de/sport/2013-12/wm-auslosung-loew

This article appeared in the Berlin Tagespiegel, a daily newspaper, and was reprinted in Die Zeit, an influential weekly newspaper. The headline is approximately: The Most Difficult Group Ever Given to the Germans. The author notes that, based on FIFA ranking, one could argue that this is the most difficult group. However, he is also glad that Germany is not in the group with Holland and Chile, where someone will also have to face Brazil in the Round of 16. As in some other articles already posted, this one mentions that Klinsmann saved Löw from coaching oblivion and that Bierhoff also owes his job to Klinsmann, with whom he played against the USA in 1998.

23. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your second sentence seems rather arrogant, although probably not intentional. I think one can make a case that group G is a GOD. Let me put it to you straight. Germany and Portugal are top 5 teams. USA is ranked #14. Ghana is very underestimated at #24. The FIFA rankings aren't perfect by any means, but I think they are generally on target. Ghana is quite capable of beating Germany. So is Portugal. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Germany don't pass through. Of course I think they will as favorites, but it is definitely an outcome that is in play.

24. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I don't see many scenarios where group G gets anymore difficult for Germany

You have:
    USA - clearly the best team in pot 3
    Ghana - who is better in pot 2? Chile or Ivory coast? idk... pretty much a wash at that point.. Ghana is clearly in the top 3 and depending who you ask, the toughest team from pot 2.
    Portugal - who is more difficult from pot 4? Netherlands and Italy? perhaps.

You still have at the bare minimum top 3 teams from each pot.

That isn't easy no matter how you cut it.

JRNoblin repped this.
  25. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not only that, if there is one team that, outside of UEFA, can consistently break Germany down, it's the USA.

I mean, since the drubbing in 1998, has there ever been a time where the US played scared against Germany? While Germany doesn't get intimidated, the US is never intimidated by Germany. And even in games where Germany bomb the US, the US always eventually breaks them down (like our 4-2 loss and 4-1 loss in 2006), and in every game outside of Germany, the US has outplayed them.

Honestly, while the Germans are (rightfully) confident that they will advance from this group, this is, realistically, the only group where they could legitimately fail to advance from.