For you Heaps bashers

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by RevsRule, Oct 3, 2002.

1. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those of you Heaps bashers that are now in hiding, (you know who you are) let last nights game mark the end of any question about Heaps's skills. He played and absolutely great game and was controlling his side.

For the first time in a very long time, I think the Revs actually have a real team. I think that I'd say goodby to Chicon and Serna next year and look for one more good forward to complement Twellman and and additional halfback and that would be about it for changes

2. rscaramelo

rscaramelo Coach/Hack Defender

May 5, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heaps has to be considered one of the most improved players in MLS. If he keeps it up, Arena may come sniffing around the new Boro!

RC

3. Gregor

Gregor New Member

Jun 23, 1999
    Boston, MA USA

yup

4. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if I was a Heaps basher as such, but I do know that most of the criticism pointed at him last year was richly deserved. As I've been saying since early August, I simply can not believe how much he has improved in the last 12 months.

As has already been said, last night was probably his best performance as a professional. I can't remember a head ball he went up for that he didn't win. When he went forward, his passes and crosses were mostly pretty effective. He was simply tireless on defense. There was a moment in the last 20 minutes when Razov got free at the top corner of the box, much like Kamler had in the 1st. Except this time, Heaps came flying accross at about 100 mph and cleared the ball over the touch line, earning the biggest ovation I've ever heard for giving the other team a throw-in.

5. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    i was one that was definitely frustrated with heaps' play....going back to last season. its hard for me to tell if he's gotten better persay, but the system that's in place seems to have meshed much better with his skill set. before, i think he moved around too much. tried to do much. going forward too much. he had trouble covering "his territory" and caught off guard often. he really is doing his job much better now.

i'll take it.
    :)

6. Danizinho

Danizinho New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Last night was Heaps' finest moment as a professional - an almost out-of-body experience.

Granted Brian 'I Almost Retired Instead Of Coming To The Revs' Kamler's game-winner (Brian: The white thing with the skidmark on the pitch is Dema Kovalenko's undies) was the difference, and TnT's one-timer - off a pretty assist from Hernandez - was the knife through the heart, Heaps is the Man Of The Match. Not even close, too.

Tough. Hardnosed. Smart. Excellent field vision.

The first hint that things were going well for Heaps was when he got into Hristo's 10cc brain (For the record: I've completely lost all respect for Hristo Bitchandmoankov and his compadre, Ante Razov).

7. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    I guess next all of us who criticized the Revs play over the summer will be taken to task? I was quite a Heaps basher, and for good reason. I agree that his defensive play has greatly improved, and when he traps a ball with his chest it no longer ends up 15 yards away. He also plays much better with Rusty, Carlos, and Douda in the middle than with Hernandez, Downing, and Cullen (who has also improved). Three months ago, I would have listed his spot as one that must be upgraded in the offseason. Now, he is at least adequate for the system we're playing.

8. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I am an unapologetic "former" Heaps basher. He has been getting better and better since Nicol arrived. I'm guessing that he was one of Nicol's personal projects.

The biggest improvement for Heaps is that he is staying on his feet and timing his tackles well. But, then, last night he also did very well moving with the ball into space when pressured (I think a lot of that was scouting - he seemed to know that they would come at him and what he should do when they did).

9. Dan B

Dan B New Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Marlborough, MA, USA
    Heaps has improved greatly, but that comes along with a defense that has improved. It is easier to play when you are confident that your team mates are going to do the correct thing (and cover for you). Heaps only has to worry about his own responsibilities.

Kante has solidified the middle, Hernandez holds the ball up well in the midfield, and Ralston is always a threat on the right hand side. This combined with better offensive and defensive play on the other flank has made a world of difference.

Add to all that a finisher that needs two men to mark him, and you have a much better team.

Kudos to Nicol for finally getting a system that works after 7 years of futility.

10. glennmcdonald

glennmcdonald Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Estonia
    There are no Heaps-haters in foxholes. I mean, Foxboro. Any more.

11. RSwenson

RSwenson Member

Feb 1, 2000
    Heaps is just one more example of how MLS is helping soccer in the US... there is no way that he would have played after college (other than as a part-time, Sunday PM pick up league player) before MLS...

Defenders mature late and his athletic gifts can't be taught... a good system and patience has made all of the difference... I don't know what level he will ultimately reach, but one of the most pleasing things about MLS is watching the "green recruits" mature (yes, and wash out at times, too)....

rand

12. twell_girl

twell_girl New Member

Jul 28, 2002
    cali
    much love to jay heaps

there are heaps bashers?
    ....unbelievable...

ciao!