Football outside l'hexagone: it does exist

Discussion in 'France' started by StarrMatthieu, Nov 18, 2009.

1. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Algeria is in the world cup!!!

2. zizouForlife

zizouForlife Member

Jun 3, 2008
    Re: Algeria BEATS Egypt

wrong thread

BUT

i would have preferred egypt, i have more confidence in them than algeria

3. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France

Nice for Algeria and what a strike !

Funny how the French media failed to at least pretend to be neutral ! :D

4. Inara

Inara Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I've been thinking for awhile that we could use a thread where we can talk about football outside of France. Most of the other forums have something similar, so it's probably about time we started something similar.

Not that I really expect a lot of posts in this thread - there's not many of us here, and we pretty much tend to stick to our own teams. But just in case...

...If you want to talk about something not soccer related (NSR), we have a separate forum for that, which you can visit here.

5. Inara

Inara Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France

zizouforlife is right, this thread isn't in the right place. I just created a new thread over on the main France board for non-France related football talk, so I'm going to merge this thread with that ne.

6. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France

good idea i was lazy when i posted that message thanks Inara:D

7. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France

10 players on the 14 who were on the field are born in France :cool: It's a part of our national identity that qualified for the World Cup at Khartoum, isn't it !

8. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France

When is Algeria gonna stop poaching our talent lol. France has two teams in the cup, that's just not fair.

9. Inara

Inara Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France

At least the chance of having a French team make it out the group stages is slightly better.

:(

10. N. Platini

N. Platini Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Londres
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France

Lol .

I have a feeling we're going to be paired with them in the group stages ..

11. N. Platini

N. Platini Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Londres
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Anelka scored for Chelsea tonight . :cool:

Nasri scored last night for Arsenal . :cool:

Benzema didn't play any minutes for Real Madrid , maybe they're saving him for El Clasico ?

12. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Is this the same as the French abroad thread, or just for nonfrench players/clubs???

Anyway, I just wanted to give a shoutout to Thierry Henry for surpassing Michel Platini as the player who's scored the most goals in their career. Felicitations!!!! He did it for Barca in the midweek.

13. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Americans seem to love their World Cup draw but Algeria can easily beat them I think. It could go either way and I think USA are/will looking past them.

14. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yea no body is even talking about Algeria. Apparently Africa is a easy place to qualify out of now. I wouldn't be surprised if the US lost that game.

15. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    We'll see. I think between USA, Algeria, and Slovenia its very open and any one of them can advance.

16. N. Platini

N. Platini Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Londres
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgm__BPqE_E"]YouTube- Mario Balotelli - Racist jungle noises from Juventus fans[/ame]

Shocking stuff .

I know Balotelli has a terrible attitude but this is too much . Wouldn't suprise me if he takes up Ghana's offer of joining their NT .

17. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Egypt: Algeria must say sorry and pay
    Egypt would return its ambassador to Algeria, who was recalled last month over a bitter football row, only if it received compensation for vandalised Egyptian property, a newspaper reported on Monday.

Algeria and Egypt engaged in a diplomatic row after Algerian fans attacked the buses of Egyptians fans at a World Cup qualifier hosted by Sudan in November, which Algeria won.

Egypt withdrew its ambassador, Abdel Aziz El-Nasr, in response.

"We will not return the Egyptian ambassador to Algeria until there is an apology and compensation for the damage that was inflicted on Egyptian businesses and people," Shorouk newspaper quoted Legal Affairs Minister Mufid Shehab as saying.
    Algerians ransacked and burned the offices of Egyptian companies in Algiers, including telecommunications giant Orascom, and Foreign Minister Ahmed Abul Gheit has estimated the damages at tens of millions of dollars.

"The companies will ask for compensation for this damage and we hope... the Algerian government... will comply when these companies submit their compensation requests," the foreign ministry quoted Abul Gheit as saying in a statement on Sunday.

Abul Gheit also said that Egypt hoped to resume good relations with Algeria, stressing that the two countries were joined by "brotherhood and affection
    http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=85&art_id=nw20091207115259522C811479

18. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Disgusting. When are they going to disband those supporter groups already. I'm sure the whole world wants to throw a hissyfit because Henry touched a football, but these assholes can go on dehumanizing people at their leisure. Nice fascist salutes too, pricks. And it's all condoned by the majority. No stop in sight. The Serie A makes me sick.

19. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Stuff like that will probably make him wanna jump to the EPL pretty soon.

20. N. Platini

N. Platini Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Londres
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    It seems he's getting this sort of abuse in most stadiums in Italy .

I'm probably one of the few who has an interest in Serie A , it's disgusting this sort of thing is still happening . Them guys deny being racist , then say they do these chants because Balotelli is annoying . :rolleyes:

When similar incidents happend in France those guys were thrown out of stadiums with immediate effect , stadiums were closed , clubs got fined ect ..

21. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  22. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    This Carlo fella is an idiot. I don't care what Clarence seedorf says, If you use someone's ethnicity to abuse them you're a racist prick. But I can understand how he can be so ambivalent to this situation when he says things like:

What is Arsene, a negro pied piper?! There are hardly any black players that Arsene has brought in from abroad that wasn't a francophone. Gee, maybe that has something to do with his ability to relate to them. Most of them are french with a couple of Ivorians, Cameroonians, etc. Other than Kanu, who's Nigerian, I'm at a loss.

23. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Honduran internaitonl Figueroa scores from the halfline.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-Wz5sPHcrA"]http://www.youtube.com/watchv=1-Wz5sPHcrA[/ame]

24. N. Platini

N. Platini Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Londres
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Intresting ...

Why is diving by English footballers so often overlooked?
    by Paul Doyle in Guardian Unlimited

English footballers are as hypocritical as randy clergymen when it comes to preaching one thing and doing another

How did some of England's most celebrated footballers end up in bed with randy priests? Metaphorically speaking. In the hypocrisy stakes, there is little difference between a man of the cloth who solemnly preaches celibacy while also being a swashbuckling man of the sheets, and footballers who dive despite spouting pious statements such as: "I have never intentionally tried to dive ... It isn't fair for players to dive and try to cheat the other team. And it is not just cheating your opponents, you are cheating the fans as well" – Wayne Rooney.

"If I ever saw one of my team-mates diving, I'd definitely have a word" – Steven Gerrard.

"I can speak about the England lads and I think it is something we don't do. We're too honest" – John Terry.

Last Saturday, with Manchester United trailing to Aston Villa, Rooney flopped to the ground in front of Luke Young in a preposterous attempt to win a penalty. Commendably, referee Martin Atkinson rose above the official indulgence to which Rooney is traditionally treated in this country and issued a yellow card. The previous week, however, Atkinson had failed to book, or even mock, Gerrard for an even more laughable collapse in the general vicinity of Blackburn's Steven N'Zonzi. Still, for an English referee to spot one out of two diving offences by his compatriots probably isn't bad, since anyone who is exposed to the English media risks contamination by propaganda insisting that only suspiciously non-British folks get up to such devilry.

Earlier this season, and after their first such offences, Eduardo and David Ngog were tried, condemned and darn near executed in the court of public sanctimony, over which presides, of course, the honourable gentlemen of the English press. Most of those same judges have been a good deal less mouthy about the theatrics of Rooney and Gerrard, despite both players, like various other England stars (Michael Owen against Argentina in 1998?), having previous.

Some of Gerrard's most blatant efforts have come while representing his country – his sudden loss of verticality against Andorra in September 2008, for instance, or his pre-2006 World Cup plunge against Jamaica – in a friendly. When England were already 5-0 up. Rooney's rap sheet includes a memorable tumble against Arsenal in October 2004, and in November 2008 his attempt to frame Villarreal's Fabricio Fuentes was so blatant he afterwards apologised, though that didn't prevent him from making the above claim about "never intentionally" diving a few months later. And just days after that very same claim he successfully demanded a penalty for England against Slovenia for a non-existent foul.

Professionally many English players, like many players from elsewhere, seem to believe that diving is sometimes acceptable, perhaps even the right thing to do when the opportunity arises. Culturally they know it is treasonous. So England's finest say one thing, and do the other. Like fornicators from the clergy, they are guilty of craven hypocrisy. Much of the media are guilty of something worse: bigotry. If a foreigner did it, deport the swine. If an Englander did it, move along, nothing to see here.

David N'Gog got ridiculed for it when he did it . I didn't see the same reaction to Gerrard or Rooney when they did the same on the weekend , and these two players seem to be at it the most . It's pathetic .

25. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    "his pre-2006 World Cup plunge against Jamaica – in a friendly. When England were already 5-0 up."

Steven Gerrard is a disgrace.