Football Manager 2008

Discussion in 'Manager Games' started by PoznaniakPS, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    If the last version was anything to go by then pretty good but it takes a while to get used to the navigation. Unfortunately you will also get no updates and no support from SI.

2. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
  4. spurs2rise

spurs2rise New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    07/08 - Finished 6th with Spurs
    08/09 - Finished 3rd with Spurs. bent scored 35ish goals in 45ish games. I won League Cup.
    09/10 - Finished 1st, but have still not won any other Cups apart from last season.
    10/11 - I am 1-1-1 so far.

5. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Pretty good effort. What does your squad look like...surely with all your money you'd have a good squad. Still got Keane ;)

6. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Does anyone know the best defensive tactic out there that is highly efficient? And I mean, not losing...

7. Grinners89

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    What team are you playing with? Some things you can only do with highly skilled teams.

8. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    With Boavista, however I managed to have some of the best (cheap) wonderkids in the game. I'm the CL knockout stage vs Arsenal...not hoping to win but at least a draw would be nice...season 2012/13.

Defensive wise don't know if matters but my best defensive players are Ever Banega, Gustavo Cabral, Antunes and Waldo Ponce.

Any ideas?

9. Grinners89

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    If your are playing an attacking style then you need at least one out-and-out DM. Whether that be in a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 etc. If it's Banega, make his closing down quite low, but just above the CB's so that he covers your central defensive area as his strength IMO is holding his position rather than running around chasing after the ball and man. If you have good pace in defence then play offside and a high d-line, most likely on 15. Get your attacking players to close down a lot ahead of Banega to restrict their mids and defenders space.

Arsenal usually have very quick and high skilled, technical players in attack. The way that ive usually beaten them is by playing a slightly deeper d-line (about 13) and making sure my quickest defenders are in my lineup. Look at all their players and make sure closing down is very high on those with low bravery stats (below 10). Those players with high bravery (above 14/15) dont close them down so much as they will just run past the defender.

Btw what system are you playing?

10. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Thanks for the tips man, I apreciate it.

Playing a 4-4-2. The so called diamond in the midfield. Banega a little above the CBs, 2 wingers in the half field with directions to go up the flanks and a playmaker behind the 2 strikers.

11. Grinners89

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Against better teams, put a barrow on your AM so that he tracks back a bit more and keep your full-backs more defensive but change their "Cross From" to byline and they will still overlap the wingers and provide support in attack. No farrows for full-backs in defensive tactic.

Put tight-marking 'on' for your back 5 and wingers and leave it off for your AM and strikers. By putting this your players will mark opponent players closer and give them less space, however when you get the ball your players will not have much space also, thats why leave it off for your attacking 3.

12. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Repped.

In theory I knew some of this stuff but I'm going through at every little thing you said. Thanks alot. :)

13. WAX888

WAX888 Member

Feb 8, 2001
    Ontario, Ca.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I hope you guys can help me with this.

I Registered the kit numbers for all my squad, and then transfered a new player in. However he continues to be ineligible for every game because he is not registered and has no number. Do I have to wait all the way till the next time I register my team after a transfer window closes, or is there a way for me to re-register my squad whenever I want? I feel the solution is glaringly simple but I just can't figure it out.

Thanks in advance.

14. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    07/08-I got Juve back to the CL as i won the Serie A and Coppa Italia
    08/09-won the CL and Serie A but lost the Coppa Italia semis against inter.
    currently this is my lbest lineup

Rodrigo Palacio
    Sebastian Giovinco---Samir Nasri---Ricardo Quaresma
    Tiago----------Antonio Nocerino

Giorgio Chiellini--Domenico Criscito--Leandro Rinaudo--Micah Richards
    Gigi Buffon
    on the bench i got:
    Adriano D/WB/AM L
    Cristiano Molinaro D/WB L
    Antonio Mirante GK
    Vicenzo Iaquinta ST
    Mohammed Sissoko DM
    Marchisio DM
    Roberto Soldado ST
    Guilherme AM/FC
    Luis Jimenez AMC
    Mauro Camoranesi AM R
    Zdenek Grygera D RC/ WB R
    Michelle PAolucci ST
    Del Piero AM L, ST
    Jorge Andrade DC

currently 7 games in Serie A with one draw and six wins, Won the Euro and ITalian Super Cup, i am second in Serie on Goal differences, Fiorentina are in 1st, they have Diego and Van der vaart on their team, incredible.

15. Grinners89

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It depends on what league you are playing in.

Eg: In Spain, you can only register 25 players for the league whereas in England you can register as many players as you want.

16. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    This is bugging me lately...that clubs stopped being interested in my players.
    I'm in 2012/13 season, portuguese and european champion with Boavista. Alot of my players are supposedly wonderkids that matured a little and beside the stat of "wnt", no club ever tried to enquiry a single one during the summer. I don't have a reserve team and out of 6 youngsters, only 2 got loan offers. The rest don't want to go to my affiliated clubs...wth am I supposed to do with this excess of players?

This is not recent, I had a few players who I simply wanted to force them out of my team (which btw are above average and quite good for any mid portuguese side) and I even offered them to all clubs at zero price...but nothing.

Is it possible that my strict policy in not letting important players leave over the years matter somewhat?

17. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    my trusty 4-2-3-1 formation.
    I dont concede many and score bagloads..

[​IMG]

My theory on tactics is basically...
    I control the mentality of my central defenders individually by setting them to a defensive mentality.
    I dont give them much tactical freedom .

[​IMG]

I control the mentality of the rest of the team via the team instructions..
    I have 8 players attacking constantly most of the time. including the full backs.

[​IMG]

If the opposition team has a player in the hole I simply instruct one of my central midfielders to drop back

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/jim78/number3/4231defend.jpg

18. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    In the Players-General Info screen there should be a a small button in the lower right corner that says "change"

Just click it, and you're back in the same squad registration mode you get at your start of season deadline.

As mentioned, you're still held to any league limits on squad size, though it shouldn't let you transfer in a player if you're already at the limit.

I like to send several youngsters out to my feeder clubs and keep my active roster below my league's limit. This way I can sign an irresistible prospect and activate him immediately, while also maintaining cover for any unexpected transfers or injuries...

19. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm getting antsy for FM 2009; especially since I need to build a new PC or buy a MAC to play 2009

20. gmodo

gmodo New Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS is weird in this game...

I was given the Salt Lake job after a bad experience in france, but a good World Cup with the USA squad. I had been there for a few years and finally won the whole MLS shortly after our championship I was not given a new contract! SO ANNOYING why am I outted after winning the title weird, I just signed some promising Argentinians to.

21. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL - that's pretty bad. They must have high expectations in Salt Lake. Did you not win the Club World Cup like you had promised? :p

22. elciclon

elciclon New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    BOEDO
    Club:
    CA San Lorenzo de Almagro
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    listen i won the libertadores and three consecutive league titles and they were worried when i got in fifth in the league and lost in semis of the libertadores. plus the fact that they want me to beat real madrid at the world championship. im at san lorenzo not manchester united.

23. gmodo

gmodo New Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    haha i dunno they didnt even give an explanation they just said i wasnt meeting the 3 year plan which was to win MLS...which i did!

24. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that's probably the biggest complaint with 08 - not sure how the testers let that get through but it is incredibly annoying. Hopefully they'll ensure it's fixed for 09.

25. gmodo

gmodo New Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well its no bother now cause I just signed with Juventus hehe