Football Manager 2008

Discussion in 'Manager Games' started by PoznaniakPS, Sep 29, 2007.

1. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to throw in my two cents ... I own both the 2007 and 2008 versions and the 2008 one got to be so annoying I have gone backwards and have been playing the 2007 game the last several weeks and enjoying it immensely. The main things that really bothered me about the new game are extreme shot-to-goal ratios (2008 has way too many shots compared to 2007, although the same scorelines) and the fact that it is way too easy to get fired in the 2008 version (completely unrealistic expectations - 2007 seemed a lot more reasonable).

There are a lot of other issues, but those are the two that really bothered me and caused me to literally dig out my 2007 CD and start playing that game again.

2. rockymtn.mike

rockymtn.mike Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Lochbuie, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bermuda
    Does anyone know when the update with the January Transfers usually comes out

3. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Has anyone found a good graphic pack to download for FM?

4. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the update with the January transfers will be out at some point in February (once the transfer period ends). Not sure if it will be toward the beginning or the end of the month though. You might be able to find out more information here: http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums

I know that http://www.sortitoutsi.net/ is a great place to find downloads of all types. Not sure if you checked there yet or not. I personally have not downloaded any myself so I unfortunately have no specific recommendations for you, but I know that that website is recommended on a regular basis.

5. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    I am getting too greedy when it comes to wonderkids...just notice:

Leandro Basterrechea
    Maximiliano Oliva
    Damian Ismodes
    Saddick Adams
    Nicolas Millan
    Ransford Osei
    Charles Andres-Doudin
    Tommy Hoiland
    Gabriel Torje
    Fellype Gabriel
    Fábio Coentrão
    Frederic Duplus
    Omar Benzerga
    Diego Buonanotte
    Marek Suchy
    Diogo Rosado
    Miguel Angel Fraga
    Wijnaldum
    Rafael Forster
    Pablo Herrera
    Antunes
    Cristobal Jorquera

And i'm still thinking in adding Distel Zola and Oscar (the gk) to my squad...

6. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    HI

I'm the HR for the US/Canada in the popular FM/WSM series.

I'm trying to find active players who follow their local team actively and can help with data for those teams. I'm pretty well set for MLS (though additional help is always welcome), but am in real need of help for the USL D2 and about half of the D1 teams.

Ideally you're a season ticket holder and have a good knowledge of the team's entire roster, but a regualr attendee at these levels would probably work. It's helpful if you know the game too, but if we had someone who does not play, their knowledge of the players and clubs could still be very valuable - especially in the USL2.

Please send me a PM or email me on aljarov(at)hotmail(dot)com if you'd like to help out.

Dedicated team researchers who turn everything in on time are given a free copy of the game.

I'm also intersted in finding people who are interested in testing the MLS code in the game. With MLS changing so much so often the more eyes on the code the better.

Again, just drop me a line.

Cheers

Al

7. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    So who are the best wonderkids/young players in this years version? I've just downloaded it now.

8. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Check this link: http://cmfrenzy.com/football_manage...the_greatest_teenagers_in_world_football.html

...and take a look at my last post in this thread. check each and one of them through the editor so that u can have a general idea about their potential.

I don't suggest Maximiliano and Leandro cus they've been sucking after 3 seasons on loan...unlike Adrien Silva and José Semedo that I just added to the squad.

and here's a free-transfer shortlist:

http://cmfrenzy.com/football_manager_2008/fm_2008_players/cmfrenzy_s_free_transfers_shortlist.html

9. cantona94

cantona94 Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've just heard far too many bad things about this year's version of WWSM/FM for me to purchase it. Seems like it has been going downhill ever since 2006's version.

10. Ben7

Ben7 Member

Jan 14, 2007
    the 8.02 patch fixes a lot of bugs and updates a lot of transfers up until very recently.

there are still some draft issues though.

11. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually like the latest version the best of any thus far. I play mostly in the major Euro leagues, so I don't know how MLS bugs affect the game. One thing I don't like is that Spanish clubs seem to have match revenue too low for their stature. I was playing Barcelona and when they would sell out the stadium every match in a month, the income from the gate would only be around $1 million. Season tickets were only $30 million. It made it very hard to have a competitive team. It seems like a bug.

12. sivakeshavmadhavi

sivakeshavmadhavi New Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Haven't played it yet. How is it, are the graphics good, 'cuz it's time EA started modernizing their graphics!:D

13. thfcnyc

thfcnyc Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Noo Yawk Siddy
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New patch came out recently for FM 2008, but there are still revenue-related bugs in the game.

14. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    i got a nice skin to make the game easier on the eye.

its called "steklo_left_black"

look out for it..

15. Max Cady

Max Cady New Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Club:
    Fenerbahce SK
    New FM is shit. I wish I didn't lose my FM07 disc :(

16. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely agree. I have just stopped playing the new game and only play 07. When 09 comes out, I am definitely going to wait a while to see what people have to say before I waste my money on another FM game.

17. sab456

sab456 Member

May 20, 2007
    Did y'all try starting a new game with the 8.0.2 patch ?
    My game (on the 8.0.2) seems pretty much bug free and the game engine pretty close to that of FM07. It certainly is more enjoyable now.

18. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't but I am still annoyed that it took this long to get the game engine right when it was perfectly fine in the 2007 version. And from what I have heard, the 2007 game engine is still more realistic in terms of flow of game and final scores, even if 8.0.2 is greatly improved on the unpatched and earlier-patched 2008 version.

Also, it really annoys me that the international sites are all screwed up - for example the French national team plays a ton of games at some made-up stadium, OL Land at Decines-Charpieu, and a ton of games are listed incorrectly as neutral when they are in fact taking place inside one of the countries playing. Now if you only play FM with club teams, then this won't matter to you, but it annoys me.

And the screwed-up expectations of the board are annoying too.

19. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only major bug I've found is that for the euros, the teams that play in it are the ones that didn't qualify. I think Cyprus won in mine!

This is probably fixed in the patches, which I have yet to install, however.

20. PoznaniakPS

PoznaniakPS New Member

Aug 27, 2007
    SI admitted that this happens only in cracked versions.

21. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And so I have a cracked version? What's that mean?

22. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That means that it was illegally obtained. Also, if you legally started a game with the demo and continued it with the full game, that accidentally happened in that scenario as well. It was a way that SI Games could ensure that people who stole copies would get a "special treat."

Now I don't want to accuse you of anything because I don't know the specifics behind how you got your game, but that was SI's thinking behind it.

23. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I bought it from Amazon, so should I sue Amazon, since they sold me an illegal copy?

24. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL maybe.

Seriously, I don't believe that issue should come up (Cyprus winning Euro) since you bought it from Amazon, so I'm not sure what to tell you. Maybe go to the forums at SI Games here http://community.sigames.com/eve and see if you can find help there.

25. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh its not that bad of a problem. As long as the World Cup and other tournaments are okay. If it keeps doing this stuff, though, I take your suggestion. Thanks.