Football Manager 2008

Discussion in 'Manager Games' started by PoznaniakPS, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Guerrero9

Guerrero9 New Member

Nov 11, 2004
    Palacio de Gobierno
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    the bigger field size helps you if you have fast running wingers in your team, so that they are able to run into spaces and expose the slower teams. if your wingers arent fast then a bigger ground wont be an advantage. I hope that helps.

2. Ben7

Ben7 Member

Jan 14, 2007
    is there somekind of bogger "MLS themed patch" out yet with graphics, pics, and whatever all is possible to edit instead of just team specific or little patches ?

3. Soccer Obsession

Jun 13, 2007
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I recently started playing the demo for 08, and its my first time ever playing the series. I am becoming addicted to it, and thinking of buying the full version. I was wondering what the differences are between the demo and the full game. My demo doesn't have sound, so I assume that will be in the full game. But other than that I don't know what else to expect as I have never played a real version before. More players? More leagues? Any expanded game play or options?
    Thanks

4. TerpSoccerFan

TerpSoccerFan Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Rome
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The game is not very sound-oriented. The full game is largely just the demo... with much bigger game customization options in terms of how many teams, players, leagues, etc. you're using. The big difference obviously is that you can play it virtually forever as opposed to just a six month demo.

5. CDM76

CDM76 Member+

May 9, 2006
    Socal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I downloaded WWSM 2007 and started playing the demo.

After about three days of playing (one pretty intensive), I got a message that the demo was done. I can still load it and navigate through the screens but when I click "continue" it goes back to the screen that says I have the buy it.

The demo says it is good until May 2008.

What's up?

6. TerpSoccerFan

TerpSoccerFan Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Rome
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The demo lasts for a certain duration of in-game time - not real time. If you played it intensively for several days, you likely ran to the end of the allowed time.

7. elciclon

elciclon New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    BOEDO
    Club:
    CA San Lorenzo de Almagro
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    i did a league in argentinean 2nd division with platense and did well the first 2 years but none of my transfers went thru and all my key players left so now im stuck in the middle with a bad record and 3 million dollars.

8. TerpSoccerFan

TerpSoccerFan Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Rome
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three million dollars ought to get you a couple good players at that level.

9. elciclon

elciclon New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    BOEDO
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    yeah but they dont want to come and i really didnt go for anyone in my level, like i did the past years. i went after some decent players and it backfired if i stay long enough for the winter break than i can go and buy some guys around 100000 dollars and built a decent squad. plus i can get some good younsters but i got to greedy,

10. TerpSoccerFan

TerpSoccerFan Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Rome
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you tried loaning? There's generally a ton of useful talent available to smaller clubs for basically nothing. It's not exactly an investment for profit, but it can get you through with some results.

11. elciclon

elciclon New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    BOEDO
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    yeah ive has some great loans and even bought some great youth. like i said i had some bad sales adding the fact that some players wanted to leave i was left with a mediocre squad, but i will hopefully stick around till winter where i will go for anyone that can bring me promotion. or at least leave me a job.

12. Canadian Azzurri

Nov 14, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I accidentally deleted a game while in-game....anyway to get it back/anyplace it goes, kind of like Recycle Bin if you were to delete something from the game folder outside the game? I'm such an idiot....:eek:

13. Carolina United FC

Carolina United FC New Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Columbia, SC
    Overall an excellent game, just got it in the mail on Saturday. FM 2008 is going to take up most of my Christmas break. I'm looking forward to it.

14. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Amazon has WSM on sale for $20.

15. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't think it was possible, but somehow FM 2008 is the most addictive version yet. I find myself playing for an hour or so every morning before work and then it is up on the computer all weekend. It would be on 100% of the time if my wife allowed it. :) I've been playing since ChampMan 98/99 and this is by far the best version.

16. Ben7

Ben7 Member

Jan 14, 2007
    I'm playing with the 8.0.1 Update DB with no Editor changes and somehow when I trade away for example Cannon to NY for Altidore then then they wave Angel and pretty much their whole midfield!

This sucks. I know they have to be under the cap and all but no team is dumb enough to waive almost the entire midfield + their star striker for 1 goalie ?!

Will there be an Update soon to fix this and other things + Update the MLS Rosters ?

17. themodelcitizen

Jul 23, 2000
    BMO Field - Sec. 114
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    its weird like that. Before the patch, you'd see Donovan, Angel, etc getting waived. With the patch, I played once where things stayed relatively sane, but my latest game, EJ was waived (did a nice job for my TFC team), and Beckham was waved sometime in the second season. Angel has been staying, I think I might start a new game but try the MLS pro/rel database someone posted here

18. Ben7

Ben7 Member

Jan 14, 2007
    I've downloaded that patch but because of 4 things in it I don't like. (the patch itself is good, promo, relegation and usl1 usl2 teams)

but

no salary cap
    us players abroad have been brought home for mulitple mls teams
    same with old europeans
    teams play in uefa champions league

Do you know IF the official patch will fix some of MLS issues in the game ?

best players get waived regularly (teams don't think about the $cap when sining them, resulting in "fire sales" of highest earners)

the drafts flat out suck (only little players IF at all are available (full db)

players won't improve even slightly if you sent them on loan

19. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Ben7

Ben7 Member

Jan 14, 2007
    LMAO one of the best know videos around the globe

actually the german kid played/wanted to play unreal tournament...

non the less the FM versions are pure class :D

21. ttujosh

ttujosh Member

Mar 9, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    This is my first go round with the game, and it truely is addictive. My question is, once this transfer window closes, will there be an official update patch? Have they done anything like this in the past?
    And I agree, MLS is tough to play with all the issues keeping DP's from the waiver draft.

22. MarkRFC_

MarkRFC_ New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    Reading, England
    MLS is completely messed up in FM08 at the moment, hopefully the 8.0.2 patch will fix it...

The next patch is usually released around March time I think

23. drahnier

drahnier Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Sweden
    So i was planning to buy this game in a few days because it has gotten great reviews, but then i checked the forum at the official site, and even there people are saying this is the most bugged manager game ever.

Now the last such game i bought was CM4 several years ago, and that game was quite obviously released before it was ready in an effort to screw the buyers over, hoping that people would buy it anyway. (which they did)
    And just like now, the reviews of the game didn't mention how ridiculously flawed it was, because presumably the reviewers hadn't played it enough to notice.

So, can this one actually be even worse?
    Exactly how bugged is this game, and should i not buy it?

24. sab456

sab456 Member

May 20, 2007
    If you have FM07, you're not missing out on a lot..
    The games has lots of bugs. Wrong offside calls, registration bug for reserves teams, too many fouls called on headers and list goes on and on..

FMlive is coming out in february , so now wouldnt be a wise time to buy FM08.

25. hoboken16

hoboken16 Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ USA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DPs in MLS is just not handled well and the draft is a joke. I'm better off playing cm 01/02 with updated rosters