Football Commentators Say the Darndest Things thread [R]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by code1390, Feb 21, 2010.

1. PhilaDoop

PhilaDoop Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Recently retired Venezuelan international Alejandro Moreno. He's actually been a pretty good commentator thus far this season, but I guess once a player, always a player when it comes to situations like this. I definitely cringed a little bit (ok a lot) when watching that on TV

2. elonpuckhog

elonpuckhog Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Intentional Handball can be a red card? Since when? I must have missed that in the LOTG. :)

uniqueconstraint repped this.
  3. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow.
    Collective brain drain.

4. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
  5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I came to this thread just to post the Col/Phi "can be a red card" idiocy. That was pretty funny. I mean, the play was, what, 80 yards from goal once you take into account the angle? Yeah, that's an obvious goal scoring opportunity. :D

I wonder why Duncan Oughton didn't correct him. Does Duncan not know, or did he just not want to get into an argument about it?

6. RichM

RichM Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Nov 18, 2009
    Meridian, ID
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's even funnier because it wasn't handling at all since the ball was not in play. The restart was another throw-in which means he blocked the throw-in from entering the field and was likely booked for Delaying the Restart.

Alberto repped this.
  7. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HSO here - commentators need to have advisers on the laws of the game. Most come from a players or coaches background, and they are so used to pushing their opinion (as they should - if you care, you push) that they aren't really objective about what the officiating should be. The ManU CL game the other day is the best example I can think of - all the hollering that no way is that a red card. Props to the few media outlets that really looked into the issue and came up with the right answer.

8. campbed

campbed Member

Oct 13, 2006
    New Hampshire, USA
    Gus Johnson. Fox Soccer Channel new "announcer".

I'm sure he is a fine person, and the world is a better place with him in it. God bless, and carry on.

Having said that: I expect much much much better when I watch a Man U v Chelsea match. I am not watching a NASCAR race. I am not watching an NBA game, nor a Baseball game. These are very obviously where Gus comes from and has cut his teeth on. Fox, if you are going to go through the trouble to have a soccer channel, let us please have soccer announcers.

Sure I prefer the default BPL announcers, why not?

Sure ESPN beat you to the punch and hired Martin Tyler (soccer announcer royalty in my opinion...):

Please fix this as soon as possible. Hire Ian Darke to counter ESPN's coup perhaps.

When I watch the Masters golf tournament, I don't expect Joe Rogan of UFC MMA fame to be on the job. It would be as large an affront to the golfing community as Mr.Johnson is to our soccer community.

And stay the hell off my lawn. :x3:

MOD EDIT: Moved here, where it fits a little better, at poster's request.

dadman repped this.
  9. NW Referee

NW Referee Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Washington
  10. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Haha.

.....pesky rule book.

dadman repped this.
  11. PhilaDoop

PhilaDoop Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Women's Champions League final -- Wolfsburg keeper makes a save fully stretched, ball bounces a bit but she reaches out an arm and ends up with one hand firmly on the ball. Immediately, a Lyon player kicks the ball and the referee blows up. Commentators, after the replay, conclude that it's clearly not a foul because she hasn't got two hands on it.

I guess they've never heard the "just one finger" speech before?

12. ArdaBey

ArdaBey Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Chicago - Lakeview
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey
  13. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
  14. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, the Quakes have the worst in MLS.

I'll see if a video comes up, but in today's game Lenhart got a yellow for reentering without permission after going off to get his bloody nose treated.

(paraphrasing slightly)
    Commentator 1: "They're going to give him a yellow card for that? That seems very harsh."
    Commentator 2: "Yea, you wouldn't normally see a yellow card just for that,"

15. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    But he's right! You never see a card for that at this level . . . but it's because players aren't stupid enough to ever do that at this level . . .

Justin Z and uniqueconstraint repped this.
  16. PhilaDoop

PhilaDoop Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Football League Championship playoff final, Watford v Crystal Palace --

Watford player hoofs the ball forward, Palace midfielder jumps straight up in the air and the ball skips off the top of his head. It continues to fly and lands at the feet of a Watford striker who is and has been 3 yards offside, and the flag goes up.

Color commentator immediately goes off about (and I'm paraphrasing because I can't find any video) "How can he be offside if he receives the ball from an opponent" and "in a match of this magnitude the standard has to be higher, how could he get that wrong" etc., etc. :rolleyes:

17. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    But the announcer is right! Just checked my copy of the LOTG from the early 70s and he's spot on! Oh, wait, Law 11 evolved in forty years?!?!?

MrPerfectNot repped this.
  18. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    But in fairness the play-by-play guy did try to correct him and offered the correct explanation.
    BTW, I have never heard these guys before, neither of them were much good IMO (but better than Gus Johnson!). Anyone know anything about their background, qualifications and experience? It seems that they were not at the stadium. I don't understand why they don't just use the commentary from the English TV guys, who know the teams, the players and the history very well.

PH

19. elonpuckhog

elonpuckhog Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Mexico - Italy Confed Cup

"give and go with the referee" (after ball deflects off of referee)

20. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

that's what it looked like to me too!

21. ColoradoRef

ColoradoRef Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC United v. San Jose, regarding the yellow card to Porter in the 2' minute: "He didn't intend to be reckless."

sjt8184, dadman and MrPerfectNot repped this.
  22. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    A gem on a Honduras hand ball.
    US vs Honduras

Ian Darke : But was it intentional?
    Taylor Twellman : I don't care, that was a penalty!:rolleyes:

23. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As many games as Ian Darke has done throughout the years one would have thought he would be more knowledgeable of the rules.

I find most of the Brit commentators we hear in the US to be less than mediocre personally.

24. Eastshire

Eastshire Member+

Apr 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    But Ian was the one who actually had the Laws correct in that quote.