Football Commentators Say the Darndest Things thread [R]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by code1390, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Pat Chewning

Pat Chewning Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Beaverton Oregon
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    But this was not a basketball game.....

2. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Simply providing a possibility for why the player was shown red for the initial shirt hold. Take it as you will.

3. wguynes

wguynes Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Altoona, IA
    There is [some] precedence for this concept in soccer as well, although narrower in scope. What about the attacker who rushes into the opponents goal to retrieve a ball after a goal was scored and provokes a confrontation?
    Naturally an alert referee is going to go into prevention mode before it gets ugly.

4. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Rare compliment...through 45 minutes, Gus Johnson actually sounds like a legitimate soccer announcer. Astonishing!

5. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Listening to Taylor Twellman tonight in USA v Mexico.... The Johnson goal called back for offside sure looked like he never got back onside to me, but Twellman was sure that he was on. And right after that, Green runs into the defender, initiating contact, and he is sure it is a foul. Is this as ridiculous as it seems to me, or am I off?

6. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    Twellman is terrible. A couple years ago he got really upset about an AR "missing" an offside call from a goal kick.

Kevin Lindstrom repped this.
  7. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Johnson was off, it was because he was leaning forward. Otherwise, he was pretty much dead even, I thought, so I can't gripe too much about that.

No excuse for the offside from a goal kick thing, though.

8. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Source?

9. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    7/4/2011, New England at RSL

This was the game in which Yader Reyes sent off Nat Borchers in the 3rd minute for DOGSO-F on a foul suffered by Benny Feilhaber. Borchers didn't actually touch Feilhaber and the match turned out to be one of Reyes' last in MLS (until this year). Feilhaber received the ball directly from a goal kick from Matt Reis. Feilhaber was in an offside position at the time of the goal kick. Twellman threw a minor fit when in the 6th minute they looked at the replay and found that Feilhaber was in an offside position. If you have MLS Live and want to enjoy the ignorance yourself, they begin the replay at around 5:50 on the game clock.

I remember watching this game on TV with a group of referees. We were all dumbfounded by Twellman's comments.

IASocFan and dadman repped this.
  10. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'd especially think that a striker would know that one.

IASocFan and La Rikardo repped this.
  11. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or a striker-turned-game-commenter. :rolleyes:

That said, I don't watch the games for the commentary. Good patter is enjoyable, but my personal static buffer is set pretty high. :)

12. malackym

malackym Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Warren Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the strikers in the winter indoor league I do know this, and now most of the defenders do too.

Mark.

13. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    "Congratulations, you have a greater knowledge of the Laws than ESPN's top color commentator!"

dadman repped this.
  14. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Thanks for the source! I wish I had MLS Live, that game sounds like a doozy. Could the AR's not help with the DOGSO-F??

15. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    He definitely could've...I guess he just didn't have any different information.

16. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And now Kyle Martino is claiming Yedlin made contact on the ball before his yellow in the 70th in the Seattle Portland game. Unless I am missing something, it wasn't even close.... Did I miss that?

17. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heather Mitts with a gem during this clip:

http://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/ma...a-union-vs-real-salt-lake/details/video/43476

She asserts she's sitting "directly in front of where the penalty is" and that it was an "awful call" because it wasn't in the penalty area. She might want to temper her language because, you know, there are going to be multiple replays that show the contact starts a good two yards inside the penalty area. Unbelievable.

That said, I think the focus on the location missed the larger point of whether or not this was a fair charge. Arguments could be made both ways there, at least. But if you concede it's a foul, you should be praising Kelly (and I presume Wienckowski) for getting the location 100% correct... not declaring it "an awful call."

18. colman1860

colman1860 Member

Nov 13, 2012
    London, England
    Petrescu, right?

I'm OK with the decision. It's a brave one, at this time of the game, but I'd go with careless charge over fair charge.

19. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Petrescu was the 4th. I'm talking about the AR who would be in line with the incident.

I'm not sure if 'brave' is the word I'd use. If there's consistency throughout the game with that type of foul, then fine. But it is setting a bar that you have to follow through the game. And that consistency was sorely lacking later (video isn't up yet, but I'm sure it will find its way into the MLS thread).

colman1860 repped this.
  20. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--

The Philly color guy and Mitts were insufferable all game long.

21. BarcaBMR

BarcaBMR New Member

May 30, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Out of curiosity, are there any somewhat tolerable and knowledgable female commentators? I know they’re a bit of a rarity…

22. The Stever

The Stever Member

Dec 4, 2003
    Alan Kelly 1
    Heather Mitts 0

23. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    I'm not positive sure we should be classing her as a commentator. She is in the same meaningless role as the people they have on the sidelines during NFL games.

The only female voice that comes to mind is Rebecca Lowe for NBC EPL games and she is fantastic.

dadman, MarinFCsoccer and BarcaBMR repped this.
  24. MarinFCsoccer

MarinFCsoccer Member

May 16, 2008
    Novato
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rebecca Lowe. She's knowledgeable and a fantastic presenter.

dadman repped this.
  25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember that.

I also remember a pretty complete apology from Taylor in the 2nd half. Someone told him the rule at halftime, I guess.