Food Peeves

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by bungadiri, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something I like, but am ashamed to like, is flavored flour tortillas, i.e. jalapeno cheddar. It just seems so wrong, like those new Dorito-shell tacos at Taco Bell.

2. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Why does everything in the US have cheese on or in it? There's not enough cheese on top of your pizza, you have to stuff it in the crust, too? Maybe this is our plan to save social security - make everyone die before they hit 65 years.

3. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Papa John's Cinnapie is kind of a lazy excuse for a desert, but I still like it at times, so I guess it's not a peeve.

Oh! But one thing that is, is gum INSIDE a food, be it lollipops or ice cream. Not cool inmy carpool.

4. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Nothing like a bowel obstruction to get you peeved.

5. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had my first "Oh wow I'm totally on my own in another country and isn't it fantastic?" experience drinking a kopi susu (coffee with sweetened condensed milk) on Java. Nostalgia alone makes me get one of these every once in a while at Sweetwaters, in Ann Arbor (they call it French Vietnamese au lait (or something like that) and put chicory in it).

6. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    and remember those dog food commercials, "is your dog getting enough cheese?"

7. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    papa who? only one man in the wide world of snackin' be bein' yo daddy and that be...[​IMG]
    daddy ray!

and they come from moscow mills! now who's gonna bury whom?

8. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Oh, really?! I'm going to throw a CinnaPie at you!

[​IMG]

9. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Incidentally, Belgian guy , the problem with those 1 pt. 9.4 fl.oz bottled conditioned Duvel Belgian Golden Ale thingies is that the more of them you pour, the less unhurriedly you are able to pour them. I am looking at a good 6 inches o' foam.

That said, it's complementing my chorizo, brie and crackers lunch like a mofo, foam notwithstanding.

That said, again, my wife is starting to give me that "oh shit, he's starting to look like he feels handsome" look.

Come to think of it, I am a handsome man.

AfrcnHrbMan and Belgian guy repped this.
  10. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    WTF? :eek: Papa John's is to pizza what the Red Bulls are to championships.

And Papa John's a right-wing prick. Many chain owners are this way since they treat their employees like dogshit and want to keep it that way. That's a big food peeve.

Auriaprottu and guignol repped this.
  11. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No coincidence that a Duvel glass is so over-sized; designed not to allow any of that rich foam to escape. Love me some Duvel. Unibroue's La Fin Du Monde, as well (a Belgian triple, but they're kissing cousins).

guignol and GiuseppeSignori repped this.
  12. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    any insight into daddy ray's politics? because if daddy's a fascist, i'm like, heil ray!

13. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile

Just to clarify, this was a "cooking" show right?? ;)

amirite! amirite!

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  14. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Well played!

15. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It had been ages since I had a Duvel. It was fantastic.

16. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Powdered creamer in your coffee ...

Was at a Nestle manufacturing facility one time - where they happen to make Coffee Mate - doing a walkthrough for some roofing repairs. That powder is so light and fine that it goes everywhere. Mushroom-shaped vents on the roof had a ring of that stuff deposited all around it, and it was actually eating through the roofing material. Ain't no way in H-E-double hockey sticks I'm consuming that, but my parents love it. Wackos.

Mixing foods that just should not be mixed together, for the most part ...

The missus loves to mix together baked beans and apple sauce. Makes me want to hurl.

Although, and I'm a hypocrite for saying this, and embarrassed to admit it, but in college my roommate and I may or may not have been under the influence of alcohol one evening and decided to boil some hot dogs, chop them up, mix into a pot of baked beans, add a dash of tobasco sauce ... and top it all off with a handful of crumbled potato chips. The finishing touch? We topped the dish with candy corn. The next day we tried it again to see if we just misremembered how amazing it, and it still kind of was. It became a staple - we called it our "square meal" - for the remainder of the school year.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  17. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bologna. Bologna was on my mind a lot yesterday, causing me lots of puzzlement as to how it ever became popular in the USA.

18. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Cuz Moms in the 70s bought Oscar Meyer with the plastic bologna-shaped dome, threw a piece of cheese on white bread with mustard & that was lunch. All in about a minute, like so:

[​IMG]

I personally like pan-fried bologna & cheese sandwiches.

guignol repped this.
  19. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Two things. First bold is wrong on so many levels and possibly killed my appetite for the evening. Second bold, that wasn't drunk, that was stoned:D

20. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you kidding? Beanie weenies (canned pork n beans & sliced hot dogs) are delicious, especially if you doctor them up with hot sauce, bbq sauce and/or other flavorings of your choice. I draw the line at candy corn.

Dills and Auriaprottu repped this.
  21. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Thank you! Same goes for Popeye's red beans & rice. I almost wanna buy a bottle of Tab or Fresca for some of these posters so they can continue to fit into their gowns. Grown men who obsess over calories or kewl points are new to me.

I've always been skinny with high metabolism (right at 6', usually around 180. I've been above 200 lbs once when my job involved lots of travel and lots of restaurants. If I'd been working out, 200 would be great, but I wasn't), and I understand that body types kinda dictate what people can eat, but some of this is just crazy. It's like nobody ever bought a pack of hot dogs around here.

I see why soccer fans get looked at crazy. I eat what American football fans eat, and as much as they do, with concern only for taste.

Glad to see I'm not the only BSer who doesn't make sure everyone sees his pinkie sticking out from the fork when he posts about food.

Uh, yeah. Can't go there myself.

Barbara repped this.
  22. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'll tell some of what I really like while I'm ranting...

Anyone here ever put saltine crackers in vanilla ice cream? It's not unlike the combo of peanut butter and jelly, but you'd be surprised at how many people thin I'm crazy- until they try it. Then I can't get the bowl back until it's all gone.

Butter on Pop-Tarts. Well, margarine. Not in the toaster, but in the oven. It's best on the non-frosted Grape IMO.

Pepper lamb, with mushrooms, green onions and bell peppers. Pan-seared.

Pond catfish fried the old-school way- in lard. Now, that's hard to get and it's NOT good for you. But a catfish sandwich with lettuce, tomato and onion with mayo, ketchup and hot sauce is the last word if you get said fish in Selma. Those old ladies know their stuff.

McDonald's hot cakes and sausage... six butters, two syrups.

Waffle House's pecan pie the way they heat it up with ice and butter.

Cici's Pizza's cinnamon rolls.

I admit that I'd probably be dead by now if I had a sweet tooth. I eat this stuff only about once every six months.

What I see a lot of but can't abide:

Mixng confectioner's sugar with citrus sugar. Like cake washed down with Kool-aid. Kool-aid and Hawaiian Punch and whatever else like that goes with meat or chips or popcorn or something. If I'm eating cake, cookies, chocolate, pies, those go with milk. And real milk comes in a container with a red cap. The other stuff is watery.

The caps and ends of okra. They may as well throw those out, 'cause that's what I do. It's tough enough as it is to get meal to stick to okra without egg whites. You need the inside showing for best adhesion.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  23. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    we were big wienies & beans consumers when i was a kid; the family habit was to have homemade cornbread with them.

but in france i discovered the authentic ancestor of weenies & beens: cassoulet. made with special lingot beans, toulouse sausage, potted duck or goose, hamhocks... what really makes it the model van de camps was based on is that it almost always bought canned, or for the most expensive brands in a big glass jar, and like canned sardines, it's generally considered better the longer it ages.

24. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i know nothing about okra but for artichokes i get them with the stems as long as possible. these generally end up in the bin, but with the outside fibers peeled off them, as for celery, are just as good as the hearts. and of sautéable dimension.

25. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I've done that. My wife would occasionally do it with Fritos corn chips, which works better with ginger ice cream.

Your post put me in mind of something I first had in my junior high cafeteria. Then I went back and read the rest of the thread, which I started last night, and saw this post...

West central Illinois, too.

Auriaprottu repped this.