Food Peeves

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by bungadiri, Mar 6, 2012.

1. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    The whole point of beef sausage is that it's more bland than pork. Both sausage and jerky are best made of deer anyway, so it's moot.

2. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Pull the other one! Seriously though, if you're eating "bland" pork sausage it's your fault. :D

3. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    You guys obviously haven't eaten good beef sausages.

4. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    merguez are made from beef and mutton. in corsica they make sausage from donkey.

sausage can be made, and most is made, from just about anything. and i mean anything.

5. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Miso paste sounds disgusting!!!!!!!!! Everybody I know eats peanutbutter with hagelslag, I'm wondering about your Dutch friends now...

My favourite combos are 1. cheese & German currygewuerz sauce 2. peanutbutter & hagelslag 3. cheese and Heinz sandwichspread.

6. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Speaking of food peeves, it pisses me off that Dutch supermarkets are selling South-American asparagus, esp. this close to the Dutch homegrown asparagus season. And don't even get me started on out of season strawberries....

7. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
  8. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    awww, c'mon.

hey! the best strawberries i've ever had were wild Finnish strawberries. i imagine Swedish ones would be good, also.

speaking of wild strawberries, how about that movie?

9. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    peeves:

people who put sugar in their grits. i think this is a west virginia thing or something. you put salt and butter in your grits, not sugar. that's an abomination.

also, i think when i was in ohio? they used to eat peanut butter sandwiches with their chili! like you didn't have enough protein with all the beans and meat? yikes! cornbread is what you eat with chili.

10. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    unless you're cornbread intolerant...;)

and sugar on grits? flaying is too good for people who do that.

11. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm nuts about ricotta! Lasagne, calzone, as a pizza topping with pineapple. It's all good.

Peanut butter and banana sandwiches.

12. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at a wedding this past weekend and got to watch the unfeigned shock on the face of one of my favorite North Carolina in-laws as he watched a young woman dump your basic restaurant tub-o-jelly into her grits. He said "oh lordy" and he meant it, by God.

13. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Sugar on grits is just wrong. I only knew one person who did this - my uncle (by marriage!). He was a real freak, though - he would tear up a bowl of white bread and eat it with sugar and milk poured on top. He was from Missouri, if that explains anything. Not really a peeve, though, just something nasty. Jelly on grits? Great googly moogly!

14. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Funny that reminds me of a food peeve of mine. Ground cereals..Grits, farina, porridges, what ever grain or name, I can't stomach them for some reason. I just started to tolerate oatmeal at 26!!

15. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you poor soul...

good cracked grain cereals are so far superior to the finely milled kind, it ain't funny. steel cut oats! BOMB!

when i was way young, i visited my aunt and uncle and we had samp for brekker.

16. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    A lot of Europeans do this (well maybe not white bread, but bread in general). Some even put coffee into the mix. I thought it was a bit odd, but didn't bother me after a few times seeing it.

17. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Grits are a poor man's polenta.

18. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I can't eat breakfast cereals, kasha or most porridges at all. In fact, I'm generally kind of disgusted to even be in their presence.

I actually can eat grits though, but only with butter not sugar.

19. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something I've never had is Cream of Wheat. Do they even make that any more? Seems so old school.

20. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they definitely make CoW.

I think it's horrid. again. cracked or steel cut grain cereals are much better. the less milling the more toothsome, and that's the good part. you can't chew Cream of Wheat.

that's just wrong.

21. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i've never seen this as such although a lot of people dunk their tartines (baguette slices with butter or jam) in their café au lait... or rather used to, as this traditional french breakfast has gone the way of yellow headlights and bidets.

i actually like cream of wheat, though maybe that's just nostalgia at work. my wife often prepares different cereal preparations at dinner as a change from rice or pasta, often with unusual grains in them, generally quite chewy, and some of them are really excellent fare.

1 person likes this.
  22. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I used to do that all the time when I was younger. I would get quite the stares from American friends when I would slip up and do it in front of them. I didn't even know that was unusual until I was in high school. That and 9 year olds being allowed to drink coffee (which was more like coffee flavored milk anyway). Maybe all that practice is why I prefer it black as an adult.

1 person likes this.
  23. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I recently tried Late Night Snack and the salty potato chips with caramel was pretty darn good. #spon Adding salt to just about anything is a good thing except one of my peeves is when people salt pizza - wtf?

[borat]Hi five[/borat]. What a useless food - like cockroaches and mosquitos - why did salty caramel god make them?

I've had stir-fried chicken anuses. Tastes like chicken.

Ketchup really is an over-rated condiment - mostly useless other than for French fries and insulting French people by bringing packets to their restaurants.

Totally agree with you.

- Sincerely,

The Last Century

When your tastes mature you'll realize kimchi wrapped around grilled kalbi is one of the seven wonders.

China actually does fake meat pretty well sometimes even putting fake meat on fake bones. My pet peeve is people who don't like tofu.

Cilantro seems pretty polarizing you either love it or hate it. People who hate it should be segregated and outcast.

My pet peeve is people who call any food from the Carolina's "barbecue". Seriously, pulled pork is the Eddie Johnson of BBQ. You always hope it's going to be good.

I'm with you - the demonization of spam is one of my pet peeves. Never had gefilte fish though. Looks too gross.

Other peeves: pizza places that don't warn you that their mushrooms are canned.

People who dump wasabi in my soy sauce and that pink ginger they give you. I like wasabi okay and sometimes the ginger doesn't taste like scented soap, but if you haven't tried using finely grated fresh ginger in soy sauce instead of the above, it's a nice occasional alternative.

Another peeve - rousong.. My girlfriend puts it on peanut butter toast which is just about the grossest thing I can imagine. It may taste great, but it looks like hair and smells like wet dog. No thanks.

The other thing I hate is going to a nice Japanese restaurant and being served chawanmushi. If I wanted to waste stomach space on glorified egg dish like that I'd have gone to ihop.

1 person likes this.
  24. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh Lordy.

25. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    I saw this a few times in Costa Rica but Rum with milk....not coconut milk or another type of concoction but...milk. :confused:

Oh and coffe with condensed milk which...isn't that bad if you want to stay awake for a few days at a time.