PBP: Florida State U. 2012

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Crazyhorse, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Tokonta

Tokonta Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Excited for Noles/Heels game! Wish I was there. Going to watch on ESPN3. Should be a great ACC Match-UP. I have the Noles winning 2-1.

Great article on Carson!

2. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    1-0 win at UNC is always big.
    Can't wait to see highlights and stats.

3. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Very nice game by both teams! The difference tonight was the Noles defense-- they were outstanding! FSU did not get many looks at the UNC goal, but they didn't need many. UNC had one significant defensive breakdown, and FSU was right on top of it to put it in the back of the net.

The Heels had some good looks in the first half and played much of that period in the FSU half of the field, but the Noles defense played tight; got a lot of good offsides calls; and held firm. In the second half, the Heels could not seem to get it through their heads that the FSU defense is as fast as our speedy striker, Ohai. We kept laying it over the top for her to run on to, and the Noles caught her every time-- you guys have some wicked fast defenders! It was clear from the stands (tho not, I guess, from the field) that we needed to work the ball in and break the Noles down-- don't know if we could have done that or not, as it didn't come up... Some excellent individual efforts by the Heels in the second half, including a wicked shot by Dunn, but in each instance your keeper came up big.

The Noles win tonight was somewhat against the run of possession (I think?) but that was (IMO) because the Noles were playing a conservative and very poised game against an aggressive UNC attack, especially in the first half. I think the stats will be unlikely to reflect how well FSU played against the Heels and how balanced the game was. It could have gone either way. Both teams put on a great show and it was a fun game to watch!

Sorry to say it, but: Congratulations!

4. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Classy post.
    Thanks for your take!

How cool would it be for the ACC to fill out the College Cup completely?

5. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    People who were counting UNC out earlier in the year are and were insane.

UNC has super talent.

Never count them out.

6. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Florida State is legit the best this year. 1-0 wins over Duke, Wake and UNC. Yes UNC outshot them, but the Noles took advantage of their chance(s). They find ways to keep winning, which a great team needs to do. Any combination of those four teams are the best ACC games to watch in my opinion. Great soccer. Can't wait for Duke-UNC and Duke-Wake!

7. OMG1

OMG1 Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Over the past weeks several of us have been touting how good FSU is. I think it's clear at this point there are many more believers. Not only does FSU have the best defense they also have the best head coach and staff. To win so many games by one goal says a lot about the strategy used by Coach K. It seems as though FSU capitalizes on the errors of the opponents.

While at the game yesterday I heard countless UNC fans talk about the FSU defense but they also spoke about the lack of an FSU offense but how FSU capitalizes when needed.

FSU will need to bolster its offense much in the same way the entire team plays defense. IMHO I think that Tiff tries to do to much herself although her perfect pass to Dagney was a perfect play and Goal. Because Tiff attracts multi staff coverage it leaves an attcking player open just as what happened yesterday resulting in a goal. Perhaps Tiff should be the decoy until she is no longer double teamed..
    There is no doubt the team is going somewhere. I would really feel more confident about the depth of the bench with a bit more playing time for the bench.. IMHO the pecking order off the bench should radically change given the most recent results. I think better scoring combos exist and could be tested. I think its possible to improve upon a 10-0 team . The players are there. !

8. OMG1

OMG1 Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    It's Saturday in Raleigh and we have light rain today. Sunday is expected to be partly cloudy and cool. Great weather for winning number 11. Although NC State has not had a good record this year FSU must not let down their guard. I'm sure the team was totally pumped up for the UNC game and they showed it both before the game, during the game and afterwards. The State win is also a must win because it goes along way to sealing an ACC regular season championship. I would hope this game can be used as a game to have the offense get multiple goals. With the horsepower in the starting lineup I would expect heavy scoring. If that does not happen I think Coach K had better take a second look at those on the bench to stimulate scoring. Go Noles !

9. GoCourage

GoCourage Member

May 27, 2001
    Durham, NC
    Wow, it is this kind of pompous post that rubs non-FSU fans the wrong way....

Oh wait, sorry just came from the UNC forum.

It is too bad that UNC is playing at home on Sunday, too, it would be nice to get a second look at FSU to see what their offense is really all about. Didn't get to see it open up against UNC. I haven't seen NC State this year, but in 2011 they were scrappy at home and it felt like (against Duke, anyway) they were getting the better of the calls. Their results at home this year aren't as close as the games last year, so maybe it was just the personnel and not the intent of the coaching. The crowds in the past were also quite vocal and hostile so it will be another challenge that FSU will have to look forward to. Wet field, hostile environment, and of course being on a roadtrip. They will face plenty of character building challenges, even if the score gets out of control...

10. OMG1

OMG1 Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I'm sorry but what is pompous about this post. ? There was no intent on being pompous.

11. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was a joke, based on a post on the UNC thread, and not intended personally.

12. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    That's how I read it too.:thumbsup:

13. GoCourage

GoCourage Member

May 27, 2001
    Durham, NC
    Yes, it was a joke. Sorry.

I think you are perfectly within your rights as a fan to think that with 7 ACC games left FSU might have the ACC regular season championship in sight. Didn't mean to get you wrapped up in the knucklehead Wake Forest posters that invade the UNC thread.

Obviously, based on the number of shutouts this year, the defensive showing against UNC was nothing new to the FSU fans who have seen the Seminoles live, but it was impressive for me as a fan of another team. Seeing how they generate offense against NCSU was what I was shooting for in my post. Didn't really see that against UNC and that will be key if they end up against Stanford again this season.

14. OMG1

OMG1 Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Another win for FSU . A 2-0 win is a nice win but it should prompt the staff to take a closer look at where/how the goals are coming from. There are several players who contribute nothing while on the pitch by either turning over the ball, constantly being out of position not attacking the keeper/shot or having a questionable shooting thought process/ %. I think the midfield does not do a very good job on the offensive side of the game but on defense they are very very good. There isn't a team I am aware of that has as good a defense as FSU. It's the offense that is worrysome. There are just too many turnovers for a #1 team and those turnovers stop effective shooting/scoring. I don't see the defensive midfielders setting up enough opportunities for the outside mids and I do not see players positioning themselves for the receiving of crosses. Even a #1 team can improve.
    Both goals today were very good ones . I constantly see Dagney attacking the keeper on a shot or a cross but usually she is the only attacker with others following well after she has started her attack. It almost seems like the other players notice a little late what is happening as opposed to anticipating/seeing the play as Dagney does. Dagney scored because of her attacking ability just as she did on Thursday. Tiff's use of her foot skills was great with the keeper not having any chance of stopping her. Hopefully the offense improves and perfects its game as the defense has. Meanwhile #1 is pretty darn good. Go Noles

15. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    OMG1

Thanks for your input.
    I certainly hope that the offense gets better.
    UNC obviously possessed the ball the majority of the time.
    I would like to see us a little more aggressive offensively.

Fortunately, there is plenty of time for improvement.

Go Noles!

16. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Just demolished Clemson 7-0 and giving up only one shot while emptying the bench.

17. OMG1

OMG1 Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    FSU burst out of its offensive slump in noticeable fashion. 7 Goals scored from 7 different players is very impressive against any ACC team. What I found very interesting was toward the later part of the game when Coach K had the on field team filled with players other than seniors ( with the exception of the 2 outside backs and the Taylor Vancil) I think the display of scoring and aggressive play is something to look forward to next year. From the starters to the bench there was no fall off in talent ,scoring and enthusiasm. WOW is an understatement for the rest of the year and next. With defense , the best in the Nation, and the offense coming alive, the future looks impressive. Go Noles !

18. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I would gladly sacrifice next year for an NC this year.:thumbsup:

19. OMG1

OMG1 Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    AMEN !

20. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    UNC still scares me.
    There are about 8 teams in the ACC who could, with a good run, make the College Cup.

I just hope one of them knocks off Stanford.
    They have kicked us the last 2 years.

21. GoCourage

GoCourage Member

May 27, 2001
    Durham, NC
    In years past it was always about knocking off UNC. I believe teams built themselves around handling the UNC style of play. So I was shocked last year at the results of the FSU-Stanford game. I think FSU wasn't ready to defend against Stanford play (similar style that Duke used to beat them in Durham) and still have an attack themselves. How they played UNC in the past doesn't translate well against a team like Stanford whose pace seems completely different. At least with the ACC quality, it feels like teams are having to diversify their game plans to win which plays to FSU's advantage. Maybe it will finally translate.

As much as FSU fans might not want to see FSU-Stanford based on results the previous two years, it is a game I would like to see again. It is developing into a question of whether Krikorian can solve the Stanford puzzle.

22. OMG1

OMG1 Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I have watched several of the Stanford games and this years team is nowhere near as good as in the past. I share your thoughts about wanting to play Stanford in the College Cup. I can see that happening and it is my belief that Coach K is a very talented coach and with the current players FSU can win the CUP. Stanford was strong on both offense and defense and this year they have weakened quite a bit, have internal chemistry issues and have had a great amount of difficulty winning games in the same fashion they did in the past 2 years.
    The next series of games will be a real test of the resolve of FSU. Personally I think they will win most if not all of the remaining ACC games. and win the ACC.
    Some of the National prognosticators think FSU can defensively stop a pro team.
    They might be right. !

23. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008

I am hopeful, but not cocky.

Winning an NC, aka College Cup, would be the creme de la creme!

24. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    FSU 1-0 over VT tonight.
    Score didn't indicate the dominance FSU showed.
    19-3 shots differential and 4-1 SOG.
    8-2 Corners advantage.

A goal taken off for FSU that appears to have been a bad call.

I'll take a win.