PBP: Florida State U. 2012

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Crazyhorse, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008

Where did you get the info on Ani?

I don't see it in the commitment section of this site.

2. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Ani's verbal commitment was posted on Top Drawer Soccer on January 24. Good catch for the Seminoles!

3. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
  4. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any news from the scrimmage vs. UF today?

5. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
  6. OMG1

OMG1 Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    FSU beat Auburn today 1-0

7. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
  8. OMG1

OMG1 Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I watched several of the Spring Games and as in the past it appears as though the coaches are using the Spring Season as a testing ground for both new players as well as new positions. 2 new players ( Hahn and Hogg) joined the team and both are very good players and blended in quickly. Several previous players played different positions and did well. After the season ended I noticed the roster was reduced by a handfull of players. According to various recruiting sites there are an additional half dozen or so new players coming in for the fall season. FSU has always been very good at recruiting so I would expect very good talent to arrive in August and augment a very talented team. 2012 looks very good for the ACC Champs.

9. catdaddy

catdaddy New Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Looks like FSU is considering a move to the Big 12.

http://floridastate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1364755

Until now, everyone officially associated with Florida State has publicly supported the recently announced television deal between the Atlantic Coast Conference and ESPN/ABC.
    That is no longer the case.
    In an exclusive interview with Warchant.com, Florida State Board of Trustees Chairman Andy Haggard blasted the agreement that will net each ACC school approximately $17 million per year through 2026-27.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Florida State BOT Chairman Andy Haggard is among those displeased with the ACC's new TV contract.
    While the new deal will result in an increase of nearly $4 million per school from the old contract, some of the terms have resulted in harsh criticism from Florida State fans and alumni. It has also drawn the ire of FSU's Board of Trustees' Chair.
    "It's mind-boggling and shocking," said Haggard. "How can the ACC give up third tier rights for football but keep them for basketball?"
    Haggard is referring to the fact that the ACC surrendered all third tier television rights for football to ESPN/ABC but kept them for men's basketball. That arrangement will likely result in substantial revenue for schools with a strong basketball following like North Carolina and Duke.On the other hand, it will do very little for schools with a more traditional football following like FSU, Clemson, Virginia Tech and Miami.
    "It continues the perception that the ACC favors the North Carolina schools," noted Haggard.
    Haggard added that he has received numerous emails from FSU fans and alumni since the deal was announced and estimates that about 95 percent are unhappy with the ACC's deal and how it will impact Florida State.
    This overwhelming criticism over the ACC's handling of the new TV deal and FSU's recently announced financial shortcomings (projected $2.4 million deficit for 2012-13) have only added fuel to rumors of a potential move to the Big 12.
    Haggard confirmed that as far as he knows there has been no contact between FSU and the Big 12 regarding possible expansion. However, he makes it very clear that he and the Board of Trustees would be more than open to exploring the possibility if it would mean additional revenue to the school.
    "How do you not look into that option," asked Haggard. "On behalf of the Board of Trustees I can say that unanimously we would be in favor of seeing what the Big 12 might have to offer. We have to do what is in Florida State's best interest."
    It has been reported that the new Big 12 television deal with ESPN/ABC will be result in each school receiving approximately $20 million per year. Were FSU and fellow ACC member Clemson to join the Big 12 that figure would go even higher. The SEC's new TV deal with Texas A&M and Missouri joining the conference is expected to be worth well over $20 million annually per school.
    "With the SEC making the kind of money it does it's time to act," said Haggard. "You can't sit back and be content in the ACC. This is a different time financially. This isn't 10-15 years ago when money was rolling in."
    Of the few who still support FSU staying in the ACC, most cite the number of well-regarded academic institutions within the conference. However, Haggard scoffed at the idea that the ACC somehow helps FSU's academic reputation.
    "No FSU graduate puts on his resume or interviews for a job saying they are in the same conference as Duke and Virginia," he said. "Conference affiliation really has no impact on academics."
    Haggard concluded that he will be speaking with FSU president Eric Barron and Athletic Director Randy Spetman about the best way to proceed in exploring options outside of the ACC.

10. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Please pardon me for intruding on the FSU thread, but I need a little help in understanding what is going on here.

Depending on what numbers one can find, the FSU athletic budget is in the 60 million range. According to the Orlando Sentinel, the 2012-2013 revenue for the FSU Athletic Department is projected (by FSU) as follows (in round numbers):

Athletic Fees: 7,600,000
    Boosters Club: 16,500,000
    Football Ticks: 14,500,000
    B'ball Tickets: 1,500,000
    Sponsorships: 1,500,000
    ACC sharing: 16,500,000

This comes out to $58,100,000.

I fully understand that the argument is that the ACC raw deal is all about money, and that the extra 3m or so that the school would supposedly get by joining the Big 12 would make all the difference. I can't make this add up in my head when we're dealing with almost 60 million. Is there something else going on here that is getting the Board of Directors chair so riled up when the president says that the current 2.4m shortfall is only temporary and can be made up? Is it truly just about money, or is this an excuse to vent other grievances? (Is it that the football team didn't win enough last year and they are blaming it on less money to spend?)

In any case, I personally would wish that the Seminoles stay and play ACC women' soccer!

11. Tokonta

Tokonta Member

Dec 11, 2008
  12. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Looking in from the outside, I don't think Women's soccer has anything to do with it. I also don't think football has much to do with it.

But if you look at Basketball, I think that is where FSU has a bit of a beef with the ACC in terms of the location and format of the ACC tournament. You have to admit that it is a pretty Carolina oriented thing, and I think FSU is trying to get the ACC to modify its format. Basketball is, after all, where the conference has the most influence in potential revenues with their format.

In that respect, perhaps the Women's soccer dustup of a couple years ago was a testing ground.

13. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    I understand your point. But with regard to where to hold tournaments, it just so happens that North Carolina is right smack in the middle of the conference geographically which means that transportation expense for the league is significantly lessened..... which should translate back to more money to each member at the end of the year. ;)

I agree it must look bad to FSU fans, and I would agree holding the tournament in Atlanta would be just fine. (Who knows, perhaps it will be in New York soon enough!)

14. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Well, it looks like the new epicenter might be in Virginia even if FSU stays. Though I don't think your case for NYC is warranted, DC might make a lot of sense at this point. Several teams could use alternate transportation if travel expenses is the big issue. ;)
    If FSU leaves, it looks like your new epicenter will be around DC.

But I don't think it is. It's money and the way Swofford negotiated the tv deal. It looks like the ACC not only sold out Football for Basketball, but the proceeds won't be allocated equally. FSU will capped at around $17 million when it looks like UF will be getting close to $30 million. There is no way the ACC could match that with the level of football played there. It doesn't really look like the ACC tried very hard with football.

Wait and see what the Big 12 and that other Big 12 ( the Big 10) get for their new deals.

15. Planopitch

Planopitch Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Dec 22, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't seen it on the FSU web site or on this thread but I do believe Dria Hampton is transferring from OU to FSU for her senior year.

16. OMG1

OMG1 Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Dria appears to be an above average forward who might be able to help out . Her scoring isn't anything special yet she has been on the National team. I see that her father is a college soccer coach . Are there any other transfers coming in or rumored to be leaving ?Hope no one is leaving.

17. OMG1

OMG1 Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Today I saw where 3 of FSU's 2012 recruits will be playing in the Region III Southern Regionals. The girls , Pickett, Fischer and Crowley , all play for Creeks Clash in Florida. With the FSU team reporting for the 2012 season in August it should be interesting to see how some of the recruits do against other college bound soccer players. As in the past the Southern Regionals have enabled the best of the Southeast to compete . This should be a good view of what is instore for the ACC in future years.

18. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see that Florida State is playing Jackson State in the Fall. Can anyone explain why? I cannot think of a truly good reason.

19. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    No answer here, but I can't wait to see how the new ones blend in with the older ones.

FSU soccer, volleyball and CC/T&F are the olympic sports I really follow b/c FSU is very good in all of those.

20. OMG1

OMG1 Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    With the last summer session starting at FSU on Monday I would expect that many of the recruits will be showing up during the summer to prepare for the August start of soccer. As in past years many of the players from the previous year show up unofficially and workout with the new girls. The current roster shows 15 girls and if tradition holds true there should be an additional 8-12 girls report. The group returning is very strong and this should result in a great team. This new recruits are the last full group of the Eric Bell group of recruits and Bells recruits have always performed well.
    Anyone have any updates on the talent coming in. I haven't heard a word of anyone leaving and that is not a surprise.

21. Germans4Allies4

Jan 9, 2010
    Count on 4-5 foreign professionals....oops, I mean student-athletes.

22. OMG1

OMG1 Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    FSU posted their 2012 Fall roster with 26 players including several new International players who are National Team players for their country. This should be another stellar year. Go Noles !!

23. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
  24. OMG1

OMG1 Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Tom81 repped this.
  25. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Maybe it has to do with all the internationals. I don't know.

I just wonder how good these internationals are!#@$@#