Flop of the Euro?

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by matrix666777, May 31, 2012.

1. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Not intended to be antagonizing but is there any reason to keep mis-spelling Khedira? Just curious.

2. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think that Podolski can play a good role in the NT in the future - as forward. Let's see how he can handle the pressure at Arsenal before we judge him ultimately.

CanStriker and odd1234 repped this.
  3. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Because that's how my auto spell on my phone insists on spelling it... So I leave it as such...

And you really want to split hairs about that with all the misspelling going on here..

Like say "loose or looser" instead of "lose, loss or loser"

That's irks me but I let it go :p

4. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

If poldi can actually play striker we may have him and Gomez sub or compete with each other and have reus-gotze-muller-schurrle on the wings and Ozil in the middle..

Should be our main focus for 2014

CanStriker repped this.
  5. snahdog

snahdog Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Atlanta
    It's funny how Arsenal doesn't buy experienced players for years, but then when they do they get guys like Podolski and Mertesacker who are over the hill. Though maybe the EPL will suit Podolski. Running around with his head cut off and trying hit the crap out of any ball that comes his way is one of his strengths.

odd1234 repped this.
  6. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Coincidentally part of the iphone's auto-correct is 'Pirlo'

Awesome.

7. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Purloin is what I got....

Haha

8. AnDrEw_DaNnEy

AnDrEw_DaNnEy Member

Jul 14, 2010
    INDIA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Only 2 ppl come to my mind regarding - flop of the euro 1) podolski & 2) loew

9. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Dude i ********ing laughed at this, this is so hilariously funny. I honestly think Wenger has made a great signing for little money. Podolski will have to man up, giroud has been signed and he's also competing with some heavy midfield in walcott, van persie, chamberlain etc... It's going to be tough. If he doesnt make it, he can enjoy the bench for a few years and you can be sure he wont play in the NT for a while.

10. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    And Oezil. I don't care what people say, he definitely played far worse this tournament than in 2010.

Raumdeuter repped this.
  11. CanStriker

CanStriker Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Everyone pretty much agrees with this, but in the end it is up to Loew. Klose is pretty much done now and we will need someone to compete with Gomez for the CF spot. Podolski is a good candidate, he's done well as CF for the NT before, and this season for Cologne he was a brilliant striker. It will be interesting to see if Reus or Podolski is relegated to the CF slot, and who the LW will be heading into the WM 2014.

12. CanStriker

CanStriker Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Only a few posters have mentioned Mueller.

0 goals in 5 matches played. Says it all, for a former golden boot winner.

13. Obsidian

Obsidian Member

Apr 22, 2012
    near Munich
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Müller said it himself, 2010 was absolutley suprising for himself. He is not a natural goal scorer at all. On pure facts, he was weak. IMO he´s done a pretty solid job for the offense in creating space and working his ass off. But of course he is far away from his best form.

14. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I say we adopt Spain's style of the 4-6-0

Reus-----Oezil-----Goetze-----Mueller

---------Khedira---Schweini

Lahm--Hummels--Badstuber--ABB

----------------Neuer

Every attack wave, one of the top 4 moves into the CF position. while the rest feed him...they'll confuse the crap out of the other defenses.

15. Obsidian

Obsidian Member

Apr 22, 2012
    near Munich
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think we should find a system for ourself and not copy spain. Don´t think it would work.

CanStriker and Raumdeuter repped this.
  16. Dr Faust

Dr Faust Member+

Jul 12, 2010
    Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    They could also take this confusion a step further. For example, sometimes Müller would change his hairstyle to match that of Reus and sometimes Özil would wear a muscle suit below his jersey to look like Götze at first sight. There's so many possibilities there.

Bronck, nekkibasara, Minttunator and 2 others repped this.
  17. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes, I agree...or sometime Reus could dive and everyone would think it is Mueller!

18. Dr Faust

Dr Faust Member+

Jul 12, 2010
    Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He also would have to cut his legs in half (lengthwise) to look convincingly like Müller.

19. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This is what I want to see. Don't need to copy anyone because this would theoretically have a similar variety, unpredictability and level of technique.

-----------------------Reus-----------------------

-Schürrle/Götze------Özil------Müller/Götze

Obsidian repped this.
  20. Dr Faust

Dr Faust Member+

Jul 12, 2010
    Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes. Özil, Götze, Müller, Reus are the best available players and should primarily be used when it comes to attacking options. Preferably all at once most of the time. Schürrle is a good sub for now and has shown his best appeareances for the NT when entering the game late to mess up exhausted defensive lines with his speed. He's a great goalscoring threat in those situations.

If Özil and Götze could become bigger goalscoring threats within the next two years, this would be perfect. Though I think, before his injury, Götze was already on a good way towards that. He was developing a typical kind of goal, where he received a pass at the edge of the box, energetically cruised past a couple of defenders and kicked the ball past the goalkeeper into the net. He was doing that regularly for a couple of league games, then got injured unfortunately.

Obsidian repped this.
  21. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Another thing that I think is important is the need for a proper right back. Götze is probably going to play central at Dortmund from now on and should also play close to Özil for the NT which means the width has to be provided by the fullbacks. I hate how Löw uses Podolski and Müller, its so limiting, especially to Müller who rarely ever has a decent right back playing behind him. Löw needs to find and integrate a natural RB ASAP post EURO 2012.

Look at how brilliant Alba was for example and what it allowed the rest of the players to do, thats the kind of width we need to aim for as well.

Obsidian repped this.
  22. Obsidian

Obsidian Member

Apr 22, 2012
    near Munich
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Definitely on both your sides Faust and ForeverRed. Reus has all the skills to play as a wide "hanging" 9 and a midfield consisting of Götze/Özil/Müller should be evil if both Götze and Özil learn how to score more (Götze isn´t that bad of a scorer already as Faust wrote) and Müller will comeback to his Form Im sure. Im curious how the masterplan as RB will look like. Boateng did a really great job on the flank especially since it is not his natural position but this isn´t a long therm solution. We should try some other variations here, namely Jantschke or Jung. Trying Podolski also as 9 and see where it goes between him or Reus, or a possibly X we don´t know yet. I don´t see Gomez in that position from now...he just doesn´t fit in this system.

Dhajj repped this.
  23. Dr Faust

Dr Faust Member+

Jul 12, 2010
    Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I read today that Götze will be given the number 10 jersey at Dortmund next season. Could be another indicator towards this.

I just hope Jogi doesn't remain stubborn, insists that Götze can only play a central role and keeps misplacing him like he did against Switzerland. He needs to play an attacking role, regardless if it's in the center or on the flanks. He keeps switching positions throughout a game anway, and so do Özil and Reus (and Müller).

24. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thats what it really comes down to doesn't it? How Löw views the whole situation. Let's hope he doesn't disappoint and learns from his mistakes.

25. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm not entirely convinced that we even have a system. Based on what I saw at EM2012, Loew doesn't have a clue how he wants the team to play.