Flags & Banners 2008 Version

Discussion in 'Houston Supporters Clubs' started by *rey*, Sep 17, 2007.

1. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you enjoy reading about the intersections of history and soccer, then I'd recommend the book, Dynamo - Defending the Honour of Kiev, by Andy Dougan.

Dougan is a journalist, not a historian, but he did some extensive research and conducted a lot of interviews. The events involving Dynamo and other players had been somewhat romanticized by Soviet history, but he offers what appears to be a very fair treatment. He doesn't try to sugarcoat the NKVD connections, but also doesn't get sidetracked by the Cold War politics.

I highly recommend it.

Here's a review: Dynamo - Defending the Honour of Kiev

Just as a sidenote, it's probably advisable to check with some Dynamo Kiev fans - we have a couple who post here from time to time - about what they think of the idea of appropriating their symbols. They may feel honored that fans of the Houston Dynamo would want to use some of their symbols, but you never know until you ask. People are sometimes particularly concerned when others attempt to equate events in their history with events in other times and places. I think it's a great idea - but just wanted to offer the suggestion for consideration.

2. KotWF

KotWF Member

Jun 13, 2003
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... this would make the hemming and hawing about the flag with the "other guy" on it seem trivial by comparison. Now if you went with Mel Brooks/Adam Sandler on the other hand...

3. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    i agree with anderson. when we did the TA flags we tried to do some original stuff to get our own things going. some designs were well received others were not, but you tread on sensitive ground when symbols have a deep nationalist meaning to a set of people.

and of course there are "universal symbols" that are used the world over like facist symbols and "that guy, not houston gunner but the other guy". :D

4. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    Lennon?

5. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    shut the fk up Donnie!!!!!!!!! Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov!!!!!

:p

6. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

7. Veruca

Veruca Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This book has been on my to read list for a while, as well as a couple others on the subject.

As for asking for permission, I don't really know whom to ask. I think that I'll go the forgiveness route, but I doubt that I'll get any reaction at all, since who really knows what the Coat of Arms for their city looks like?

8. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you want to toss it out there, BigSoccer does have an Eastern Europe forum that has a Dynamo Kiev thread. The reaction may be complete indifference. Just a thought.

10. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    Here's a rough draft of one I made this morning. I'd like to find a better picture of him to use but that one could work.

[​IMG]

11. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    that's fkn awesome!

can you put pic on top, text on bottom to see how it looks? how about an orange background? and can you get me a coffee, non-fat milk, 2 sugars?

also, do you have another pic where he looks even more "thuggish" than that?

12. Orange1836

Orange1836 don't believe the hype

Dec 2, 2006
    Houston
    john lennon on one side,
    vladimir on the other.

13. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    I am the walrus?

14. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    So far my favorite is orange background with the picture at the bottom, I haven't spent a lot of time on these so they need to be cleaned up. And I just used his picture from the Dynamo roster page, if anybody has a better one I'll try it out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    big soccer would explode if we walked in with "this guy". not "that guy" or "the other guy" but "this guy":

[​IMG]

16. Orange1836

Dec 2, 2006
    Houston
    a picture of vadimir lennon with the caption.

I AM THE WALRUS.

17. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're never hear the end of it from the damn Trotskyites. There's nothing worse than Bolshevik-Menshevik smack talk. Oh sure, it sounds funny at first, but then someone always ends up in Mexico City with an ice pick in the back of his head.

18. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SOB, no not Sons of Ben. What a "Rogues" Gallery. First Che, then Yoshi, now this? I think we need this guy next:

[​IMG]

19. Bandido

Bandido Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Deperrosbravos N.L.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Who be that??:confused:

20. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not MannieG but MannieVR!! Manfred von Richthofen, the Red Baron.

21. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
  22. Bandido

Bandido Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Deperrosbravos N.L.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Didn't the Red Baron get shot down by the British??

23. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Either a British Airman or an Australian Field Artillery Unit. No one is 100% sure, except they all agree the Inferno or Brushes Sand had nothing to do with it. :p

24. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah right, and who do they suppose paid for all that field artillary over the previous eleven years?

25. Orange1836

Dec 2, 2006
    Houston
    snoopy?