Fitting into your new shirt with the paleo diet

Discussion in 'Player' started by Arachas, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Arachas

Arachas Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Hi all,

This topic arose on the Techfit shirt thread, but I didn't want it to go too much off topic. Hence a new thread!

Basically, the premise is this: I think wearing Techfit shirts is awesome, but I also think you need to look the part. Not that you need to be overly muscled to make it work, but being overweight in a tight shirt won't make anyone happy. If anything, I think Techfit makes you conscious of your own body, which is only good if you can concentrate on the benefits that provides.

Anyhow, in the thread I mentioned a way to lose some weight, without restricting yourself too much in terms of amounts of foods. I recommended the paleo diet. I started following this diet myself over half a year ago, because of some food intolerances (mainly gluten, although I didn't know that at the time).

I was just trying to find a way NOT to kill my wife every night with gas attacks, really. Or my buddies at evening futsal, for that matter.

In short, the paleo diet goes by the premise that humans evolved to eat certain foods (meats, vegetables, eggs, that sort of stuff) and that we haven't adapted, at all, to the diet based on grains that we've been eating the last 10.000 years or so. The result is a screwed up hormone balance, overweight and a host of what we call 'welfare diseases'.

I scratched everything from my diet, apart from meats, vegetables, eggs and fruit. Didn't take me long to feel tons better: no longer those huge energy dips during the day, which spring from high blood sugar levels from eating lots of carbs. Those of you into nutrition will notice carbs go on the back burner when you start eating like this. Protein and fats and your new staple.

Now, get this: I wasn't doing this to lose weight. I was almost 80 kg and for a 1.80 m (5'11") guy that's ok-ish. I was in the starting phases of developing gut-fat, as a lot of guys do at my age (27).

Half a year later I'm down to 71 kg. And I'm telling you, I stuff my face daily with meat, greens, eggs and fruit. But there's the thing: it's eating a lot of carbs (sugars) that causes your body to store fat, NOT fat in itself. I chuck in a good chunk of butter every time I prepare meat, because fat, contrary to what we've been told, is GOOD for you.

So there you have it: if you want to lose some weight easily and feel better, I can hearthily recommend this diet. It's not really a diet, because there's no starving involved (well, our ancestors did skip a meal now and then, so that's fine, too).

Now, a question from Guarda-Res from the other thread:

Two very good sites to get you started are:

Mark's daily apple

Rob Wolff.com

The sites may look a little cheesy and, well, American (*dodges incoming tomatoes from American BigSoccer readers*), but I've got books from both these guys and they're trustworthy and sensible authors. They've got some practical stuff on their sites to get you started.

But it really is that simple: clean out all processed stuff from your house, especially if it includes grains. Ideally you only eat clean cuts of meat and biologically produced vegetables and fruit, but that may not be in your budget (I know I struggle with it). Paleo will probably cause you to spend more money on food (but it's worth it, because you're generally eating the stuff you should have been eating all along).

For you as a fellow Dutchy I'd say get your vegetables at Lidl and roam the other stores for sales. I stock up on poulty and beef whenever I can.

What I usually eat:

Morning: 500 gr soft curd cheese (or cottage cheese, I don't know what it's called in English. Guarda: "volle kwark" :)). None of that skimmed stuff, remember: fat is good. Alternatively I eat eggs and bacon, about 4 eggs and 4 slices of bacon. This will easily get me through the morning (protein and fats will keep you feeling satisfied for much longer than carbs). Oh, and as you've notice I do eat dairy: I have no lactose problems and it's still a great source of protein. If you can't handle the cow-protein stuff though, don't try it.

Lunch: sometimes the eggs & bacon go here. Other times I eat leftovers from dinner the day before. And otherwise I go for a piece of meat (fish or beef, mostly - they are easy to prepare in a short time, considering I'm allowed to prepare meals at work - my boss does paleo as well, hehe), some tomatoes and basically mixing it into a salad.

Dinner: anything vegetables and meat. I personally do eat potatoes, but in moderation (my wife fries them in cocosoil, it's the best fries you'll ever have AND much healthier than plantoils). So we'll eat chickenlegs with a salad, or broccoli with a piece of pork. Anything like that. Just eat as much as you need, there is NO need for moderation when it comes to these foods.

I find I have no need for anything in between my meals, but you can go for nuts or some fruits. I don't eat many nuts myself, I can't handle many of them (which was the point of me starting to eat this way in the first place).

Those are some tips. :)

2. JonIsAnOwl

JonIsAnOwl Member

Apr 20, 2011
    England
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Interesting. I'm putting weight on at the moment so have to eat carbs, but may try this when I'm cutting.

3. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm not big on "gimmick" diets but on several levels this diet seems to work and is healthy lifestyle that can be maintained long-term. Not like a grapefruit diet or Atkins, no one can eat just that forever.

1. Basically I like the principle that we get away from processed foods—basically we eat things as close to how mother nature intended them to be.

2. The people on it tend to look good or at least look fit: http://jambysbigadventure.tumblr.com/

4. Elbullio

Elbullio Member

Dec 24, 2010
    The diet is increasing in popularity, but it is very tough.

First of all, because no carbs are to be eaten.

No carbs leaves everyone (Especially physically active people) feeling tired, no energy and down.

Now, with the paleo diet, we wish to replace the energy source of carbohydrates with fat.

Pure and simple. Fat as an energy source lasts much longer, and is a natural building stone of your body, compared to carbs.

This transformation happens over 2-3 weeks and is HELL.

BUT, after that you will notice an increase in energy, sleep better, and loose weight.

5. Arachas

Arachas Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Just to be clear: I am NOT into diets. The only reason (and I mean the ONLY reason) that I got into this was because of my intolerancies. Little did I know there was more to be gained.

So let me stress that this is not a fad diet, simply because it's not a diet at all. OK maybe it is, if you consider a "diet" to be a way of eating.

@Elbulio: you're on the right track, but I got some points. :)

This is very untrue. Vegetables and fruits both contain carbs. Fruits are actually pretty much carbs. It matters a lot WHAT KIND of carbs you eat, though. Most processed foods contain fast sugars, that are absorbed quickly and screw up your bloodsugar levels. Which leads me to your next comment...

If you work out or are very active you DO need to eat a lot of carbs. Let's be clear about that. Fruits are good, as are the carbs in vegetables. There's a lot of good protein shakes out there that have good sugars in them to help you after a workout.

About the energy part: the fact that you're so tired starting out, is because your body needs to adapt to the fact that it's no longer saturated in sugar! If you continue to base your diet on carbs, you'll notice you'll need to keep eating them to stay fit. Once you break that chain, you can suddenly do without all those snacks.

This is all very true!! I did not notice that much of the transformation myself (but then I was never much of a sweet tooth, although I had a lot of problems not touching bread, which I LOVE).

But yes, surprisingly you body runs better on fat than it does on carbs. Interesting.

matherold repped this.
  6. JoseP

JoseP Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I've been on Atkins for Lent. It's done wonders as I've slimmed 22 pounds - 184 to 162 (I'm 5'10".) I did add a stimulation of no red meat. I'm looking to switch my diet at the end of Lent this week. And by "end my diet" I mean I'd like to find an alternative I can find as a lifelong change in my ways without being an outsider with odd requests for everywhere I go to eat.

One of the things I'm trying to do is cut out red meat as much as possible. My daughter turned vegetarian on me (well pescotarian I think she is called as she will eat fish.) Royal pain for me as the cook of the family. We eat a lot of fish now. Maybe too much as we are getting tired of it. The low-carb aspect of it makes it even more difficult to cook for all of us. Low carb, for me, is very difficult at lunch time. Eating out is impossible and chicken and salad gets tiring.

Paleo diet seems like an Atkins reinvent. No problem. But, I'd really love to have pasta and potatoes. Cooking would be so much easier.

7. Becks7

Becks7 Member

Dec 6, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Good stuff... I tried a strict paleo diet prior for quite a few years which was ok... but then I re-introduced a greater abundance of carbs and it worked out much better given my lifestyle. I was originally on an anabolic diet but then just transitioned to a paleo diet. However now it's much less a diet as much as a lifestyle change. Take note of the APPROVED list which has quite a few options rather then focusing on what you CANNOT eat.

Upon it's first mainstream adoption, carbs were heavily frowned upon in the diet, but now, it's important to understand their place and role in your diet based on activity.

I also throw in intermittent fasting which for many helps keep weight in check and to a degree allows you to sometimes get away with eating a wider variety of foods (that may fall outside of the paleo friendly list). On non-workout days, I'll pretty much fast till dinner time with no ill-effects... yes it's hard to begin with but as athletes I'd like to think there's a greater bit of willpower and discipline. However, fasting may not be the best for those looking to put on weight.

With IF there is less worries about planning meals... people look at you weird thinking OMG YOU'RE NOT EATING YOUR METABOLISM IS SLOWING down... it's a bunch of BS though.

8. Arachas

Arachas Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    When you think about it... if you take the idea that we evolved eating certain foods, it's also logical we didn't do that squarely three times a day. People will have eaten what they could lay their hands on. So skipping a meal isn't bad for you, at all. Working out in the morning is another one of those things some people will say it's unhealthy, but I find it a great way to get started (provided I got enough sleep, hehe...).

As far as I know, red meat is not as much a problem as some people make of it. The problem, as far as I am concerned, is how it's produced. I'm a huge opponent of the bio-industry and I would want everyone to switch to local produce. There IS enough to go around, if we stop piling all the resources on a big heap. If local farms produce for local communities (in an animal friendly way) there's really no reason not to eat meat (I've had a job at the Netherlands' central research centre for everything concerning the environment and they were working on theories on how to decentralize the bio-industry, i.e. get rid of it completely).

That is, unless you simply don't want to eat animals. That's a whole different story (which I understand). I personally don't have a problem with it, but my wife (who also eats paleo... most of the time ;)) does eat a lot less meat than I do, out of principle.

@JoseP: I would throw in potatoes now and then. The thing is simply that when you eat too much, you get spikes in your bloodsugar, nullifying the effects of not eating so many carbs in the first place. But once in a while (say once a week) shouldn't be a problem. My wife deepfries potato chips (chopped up potatoes, none of that processed stuff) in coconut oil, it's amazing and not at all bad for you.

9. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Wow, this thread really took off based on my question. Loving it so far. Going to have to click some links and print some stuff off later today. I think it sounds fairly straight forward, you replace carbs with fat and fat is your bodies new fuel. No problem with me.

10. Becks7

Becks7 Member

Dec 6, 2000
    Hong Kong
  11. Arachas

Arachas Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Starting out I would totally recommended going as low-carb as you can. This will allow your body to enter a state called 'Ketosis'. Basically it means you'll switch from burning sugar to burning fat. Which is good, because everything runs better that way.

This is good for the first 30 days or so (yes, I know, that's a bitch: I did it too).

After that you can eat more carbs, especially after workouts. Nowadays I pretty much eat whatever I feel like, within the limits of the paleo diet + dairy.

12. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I thought our body was always burning some mixture of sugars or fats, and that it doesn't exclusively switch to one or the other fuel?

13. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011
    In reading about this it seems to me that what the creator and supporters of the Paleo diet have established is that your body burns fat more efficiently than carbs. It stores fat less than it does carbs and therefore the combination of efficient fat burning plus less storage makes you leaner. Carbohydrates are more difficult to break down hence the term "complex" carbohydrates.

I also do not think you lose "energy" from eating fat instead of carbohydrates. Because carbohydrates are not energy, calories aka kilojoules are energy and as long as you are eating the same amount of calories, you should have the same amount of energy. Right?

14. Becks7

Becks7 Member

Dec 6, 2000
    Hong Kong
    I would be cautious to think that fats are a superior "performance" energy source relative to carbs. For regular activity, I think that you could get by on fats, but when performance is on the line, carbs are a better source.

http://anthonycolpo.com/?p=1535
    http://******.physiology.org/content/100/1/7.short
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC524027/
    "Therapeutic use of ketogenic diets should not require constraint of most forms of physical labor or recreational activity, with the one caveat that anaerobic (ie, weight lifting or sprint) performance is limited by the low muscle glycogen levels induced by a ketogenic diet, and this would strongly discourage its use under most conditions of competitive athletics."

15. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    This is the diet I follow, although I didnt know the name of it. Natural fats are good for you, dont listen to the bull shit on tv. Full butter, full milk have been used for thousands of years and it didnt do any harm. These types of fat are natural and your body needs those. All this processed food cannot be good for you. Strip back your diet, and eat all the natural products you want and you you feel much more healthy and you will feel the energy increases you will have.

16. Arachas

Arachas Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Of course the best advice would be to simply try this diet on for size. Give it a 30-day run and it's likely you'll feel the benefits.

Last weekend was Eastern weekend and that means tons of food! Normally not a problem, but... I was staying with friends. I didn't want to get TOO much in my friends' way, so I thought I'd try and see what would happen if I reverted back to 'regular' eating (except for eating peppers, my bowels can't handle those) for a weekend.

Biggest thing? The general feeling of drowsiness. Regularly eating a lot of carbs, I'll say it again since it was in my face all weekend, will make you slow. I was feeling tired all the time and I had HUGE dips in energy.

Back on paleo and feeling much better already. :)

17. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011
    So it's like day 8 of my Paleo plunge and I'm at work tired as fcuk. It's 1:32 in the afternoon and I've had both my meals until dinner. I haven't had a bread/grain or something that is clearly a carb since last thursday.

I have a game tonite, not very important (opponents are a joke)....don't know how I'm going to play though....seriously contemplating going into the kitchen, grabbing some crackers and loading them up with peanut butter.

ssssssoooo sleepy and tired.

18. matherold

matherold Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Paleo is great, but some paleo people are incorporating more safe carbs back into their diet for performance. http://robbwolf.com/2011/11/03/meat-potatoes-back-on-the-menu/. I know Art Devaney a big paleo guy says no carbs are needed, but I dont think he trains at the intenstiy of soccer players or MMA fighters. Potatoes and some rice seem just fine as long as you use them.

19. tomgat

tomgat New Member

Apr 14, 2012
    Of course the best advice would be to simply try this diet on for size. Give it a 30-day run and it's likely you'll feel the benefits.OR try a new shirt & some more sports wear on your fit

20. Isabel57

Isabel57 New Member

Mar 28, 2012
    [​IMG]Basically, the premise is this: I think wearing Techfit shirts is awesome, but I also think you need to look the part.

21. Arachas

Arachas Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    First off: mods, care to clean those two SPAM posts up? Thanks!

Stick with it, dude. Quite simply you're in withdrawal. You'll clear up soon (I can't say HOW soon though, that's different for everyone).

Be sure you eat enough, btw. You'll probably need to eat more in terms of volume than you did in your old diet. For me, eggs and soft cheese (again that word... "kwark") help a lot.

22. elvinjones

elvinjones Member

Jul 4, 2011
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi, I have been getting back into shape to get on a team and lam ooking at different diets (not on any in particular). This guy has about two paragraphs of information hidden within about 6 pages of writing. Some people may like this self-centered style, I just wanted to put out there on the intarnets that imho he seems like an insufferable boob who has had the epiphany that one can compare and contrast ideas; someone who is doing writing which requires average intelligence yet writing which he presents as though he is extremely intelligent. He reminds me of the guy at the party who is supremely self important and that everyone hates.
    I am not a dietitian etc so this is not a critique of the small amount of science-based ideas that are actually there. Just a warning for some people who would rather get right to that info.

23. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    There is nothing inherently wrong with potatos and white bread. What they do is raise blood sugar relatively quickly. Which makes a farmer's breakfast with fried potatos an excellent way for someone to start a long day of manual labor. Most of us don't perform manual labor. We lead sedentary lives, so without sport we would have health problems.

"Sedentary lifestyles increase all causes of mortality, double the risk of cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, and obesity, and increase the risks of colon cancer, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, lipid disorders, depression and anxiety. According to WHO, 60 to 85% of people in the world—from both developed and developing countries—lead sedentary lifestyles, making it one of the more serious yet insufficiently addressed public health problems of our time. It is estimated that nearly two-thirds of children are also insufficiently active, with serious implications for their future health."

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/release23/en/index.html

Since likely everyone reading this thread has a sedentary lifestyle (outside of soccer) we don't need the white bread and potatoes. Soccer keeps us healthy. Even with soccer, most of us are deskbound during the day and probably only burn about 3000 to 3500 calories a day. So high calorie content is not important to us. Nutritional value is.

A balanced diet including whole grains has worked for me and I am not going to fix what isn't broken.

24. toflinswedol

toflinswedol New Member

Dec 4, 2014
    Nou, ik ben het eens met alle bovenstaande antwoorden over Paleo eten. Ik doe volg paleo dieet tips. Ik weet raadplegen voordat nemen geen voedsel Via http://www.paleodieettips.com/.
    Dit eten echt houd me fit & gezond

Bedankt en groeten
    Toflin

25. matherold

matherold Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan