Fiscal Cliff Prediction Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by JohnR, Nov 9, 2012.

1. FormerGermanGuy

Mar 1, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here. Republican rhetoric right now is staying the course and convincing the rubes electorate that it'll be fine. If they are not stopped, our choice is defaulting or giving the nutjobs their way. Giving them their way means they'll do it again next year and the year after. The Democrat's choice is either live through a default once or be held hostage indefinitely.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2013/10/07/debt_chicken_government_shutdown

...economist Thomas Schelling observed that in a game of chicken, one driver could gain an advantage from throwing the steering wheel out the window. It appears that Republicans have come up with an even more extreme version of that gambit -- insisting loudly that they are immune to car crashes.

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  2. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    fatbastard repped this.
  3. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if this is the right thread to post this in, but this moveon.org I shared on my FB page is creating some interesting conversation...

[​IMG]

4. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    moveon saw fit to actually cite CATO? Will wonders never cease?

Dr. Wankler and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  5. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It depends on a lot of assumptions but I don't think is far from reality. SNAP is a very small and effective program probably costing us under 100 billion a year. Corporate subsidies for oil and banks can amount to several times that, depending if you count actual subsidies or less reveneu. I assume that the figures are then compared with the average tax bill for an American family.

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gues everybodys' got ta be known for something, so this might as well be what Im known for.

8. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More importantly, why is the $36 figure only significant at the 0.05 level whereas the $870 figure is significant at the 0.01 level?

[​IMG]

9. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Probably is due to the size of the sample relative to the size of the populations.

American Brummie repped this.
  10. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spoken like a true social scientist. We don't have great data, add more cases!

11. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Who is ready for one more round of Debt-Ceiling-Chicken?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/22/us-debt-ceiling_n_4646696.html?ref=topbar

Good luck to our (R) congressmen telling voters that they can't get their tax refund on time...

12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dapip repped this.
  13. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    This. Most years I have to pay a little bit or get a ridiculous amount back. But this year we have one more dependent and my wife only got like half her pay for 3 months so we expect a good amount back.

How stupid of me to think that it could be different.

14. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    We dare you to play chicken!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...2/03/house-gop-finalizes-debt-limit-playbook/

15. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    R&R was totally flawed...

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/...scredits-reinhart-rogoff-debt-study-austerity

Over the ten and 15 year periods, higher debt is associated with just about the same economic growth. There’s no threshold at all.

The authors also looked at the economic growth for counties with increasing and decreasing debt. They found that among countries with similar debt levels, growth is stronger over the next 15 years among those with decreasing debt.

This is an important new finding: The debt level of a country is not important. What matters is the trajectory of that debt.

/quote