Fiscal Cliff Prediction Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by JohnR, Nov 9, 2012.

1. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya know, I've done that once or twice when watching Crew-DCU games.

2. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I predict that the House will pass this compromise with overwhelming Democratic support and about 15-20 Republicans. It'll pass by a squeaker. I will be on C-SPAN the whole day.

3. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Am I the only one who thinks that the Democrats got pummeled in this negotiation, and are going to get hammered again in February?

4. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These are the first income-tax increases since Herbert Walker Bush. The GOP spent the last three decades saying any and all tax increases are bad. There is no universe under which progressives should be unhappy. If these tax increases correlate with strong economic growth and with deficit reduction, it will break the rhetorical stranglehold on tax language, and it will show people that tax increases don't really benefit them that much. It shows that Democrats are the party of compromise and reason, and shows that Barack Obama is already at work forming his second-term promises. This is a win in just about any sense of the word.

That being said, there is no universe I can perceive in which progressives will NOT be happy. It's in their nature. See: August, 2011. Hey, how did that "because he betrayed me Obama won't get re-elected" thing go?

5. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. FormerGermanGuy

Mar 1, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hoping that the slightly different group of idiots we'll have in March will give us a different outcome. A man can dream, I guess.

7. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yey..... 3 months until the next stupid unneceassary batle.... Yey....

8. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And let's not forget that the debt ceiling debate will coincide with the end of the continuing resolution.

Can you say "government shutdown?"

FFS, this is a like a bad movie that loops.

9. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    If this is the vote distribution, then there will be a new Speaker of the House on Thursday. So who is chosen instead of Boehner?

10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sucks if they don't renew the payroll tax holiday, especially for those of us who have to pay double payroll taxes anyway - and it really adds up. That's something that should be dealt with, particularly for free-lancers and contractors who don't make much money and suffered a lot during the tough times.

But other than that I can live with the compromise for now. It would be a sight of relief particularly for the unemployed, and it will help most everybody in the short term as the recovery tries to gain some momentum.

Hopefully it passes, and hopefully the new Congress will deal with the long term issues.

American Brummie repped this.
  11. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pelosi, right? Plurality victory? Boehner's got 50 votes in his pocket, and the tea party has 50, and the other Republicans split even 90-10 one way or another and the Democrats vote lockstep for their guy. Or do you need a majority to get the speakership? I never cared enough about house rules.

12. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a joke this all is.

They had how long, over a year, to figure something out? What is two months going to accomplish?

13. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Yep. Boehner has to get a majority of the entire House, 218.

I'm betting Republicans wouldn't revolt if Boehner could get a majority of Republicans to vote in favor of the Fiscal Cliff compromise. But if the Fiscal Cliff bill somehow passed with 190 Democrats and 30 Republicans voting for it, then Boehner may be in trouble.

14. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This might be the saddest way to spend a holiday I've ever heard.

15. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The real small business man, eh? Not that "small" business with a five hundred employees type of small business I take it..... Real as in the backbone of this nation prior to the corporate takeover of the USA.

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Federal spending at its best. :rolleyes:

17. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a lazy, shiftless student, remember. I've been on vacation for three weeks now.

18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Ahem, William Jefferson Clinton.

Uh-huh.

Ummm sure. The William Jefferson Clinton tax hikes that you have forgotten about coincided with record productivity growth, and the GWB tax cuts coincided with economic misery, and that has educated Americans how?

Their nature is that they are happy when they win, and mad when they lose, like anybody else. Obama's tax code is similar to George W. Bush's, and to the right of the triangulator Bill Clinton, that is not winning.

Oh and 3-4 today for Watford against Charlton. These Championship lads need some help with defending but they sure do pass the ball around nicely. Like junior grade Spaniards, who knew?

GiuseppeSignori and bigredfutbol repped this.
  19. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm Just watching msnbc And wondering out loud "who's the bigger waste of oxygen,Cantor or Boehner?" Just hear that 37 out of the 40 house GOPers in the meeting spoke against the agreement... Mmh that agreement they could not even begin to friggin' create themselves a while ago? What a useless bunch they will have proven to be if they cannot pass this....

bigredfutbol repped this.
  20. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I'd guess, or at least hope, that the GOP is going to have to change some things in a big way to avoid heavy midterm losses.

21. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to laugh if the house can't pass this. Obama gave a lot, arguably too much and if Boner can't round up his tea party to vote for it, well they are crazier than I already guess they are.

A couple of notes: the $5 million exclusion on estates, indexed to inflation is much higher than I thought they would end up at. One place where Obama probably gave too much. And what is the new cap gains rate? I haven't seen it.

22. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to think the American voter is paying attention, but right now it seems like it's just general "those bums in Congress" grumbling.

23. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're in this mess in the first place because they're crazy obstructionists.

24. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

No, you're right. WJC put in tax increases in 1993 - I did forget. So it's the first tax increase in 20 years. And sorry to hear about your team - Birmingham look like they're spending next year in League One...three years ago they finished 9th in the Premiership, and now they're losing away and tying at home.

But to think that the first tax increases in 20 years isn't a good start, I dunno. Either you assume Obama gets nothing done for the next four years - and in which case, why'd you vote for him - or you think he's a liar when he says "I want a balanced approach from now on out" - in which case, why'd you vote for him?

25. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Removing Alan West will improve the overall IQ of the group.