Fiscal Cliff Prediction Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by JohnR, Nov 9, 2012.

1. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    So are you trying to make the point that starvation wages are ok? I mean the boat point is valid even if there is a difference in price points between luxury boats and a telephone. The problem is the poster did not say the people who work at the rolls royce plant ought to be able to buys RRs.

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So an I-phone is not a luxury (I guess as an American our sense of entitlement to an I-phone 5 should not surprise me).

3. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    POTUS going on air shortly.

4. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    [​IMG]

Dyvel repped this.
  5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to be confused with this guy

[​IMG]

American Brummie and bigredfutbol repped this.
  6. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I think he was making the opposite point that wages are going up in China.

I do agree with Ceres though that the lack of loyalty from corporations to communities is a major root of the problem we face in the West.

But on the other hand depending on your POV this could just be the free market correcting itself. You could say that some countries in the West like the US have been overpaid and over consumed for 50 years. China has been underpaid. As one comes up the other must come down a bit to restore a more natural balance.

7. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sounds like a deal is in sight.
    told you all.
    I had a feeling a deal was going to happen, because otherwise we would have been going through all of our various exercises we did this year and last year when there was a potential government shut down. I am not at liberty to say what those various exercises involved (because then I would have to kill you all - and then who would I argue with all day to make the day pass tolerably?), but I can say that we didn't do any of that this time around.
    as I said before, both political parties had too much to lose with taxes going up for a significant portion of the population.

8. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    The Chinese people higher on the wage scale have mainly reached this level because of China's huge export to Europe and the USA... if people in the West lose their jobs on a larger scale because the big companies keep moving jobs to China, to lower their cost, then the Chinese export will slowly disappear and then there will suddenly be less high wage Chinese to buy these products as well... the rich Chinese will just go back to being poor, if they lose their huge export... and don't forget that China also are in huge debts.

9. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    But is it a deal that is going to make an actual difference regarding the huge debt ?... I seriously doubt so... the politicians are not out to solve the actual debt problems, but just to make it seem like they are doing something... the financial disaster they wont be able to prevent in the long run.

10. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't say it was going to be effective at lowering the deficit or avoiding financial disaster in the future. indeed, I've been on record saying the opposite. all I said was that a deal would get done.

11. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    AP now reporting they won't get it done before midnight.

I'm going to raid the milk aisle at the local Pathmark. I'll be selling that moo crack to babies on the streetcorner. "you want it warm in a bottle, kid, or straight up cold?"

12. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is the price of milk going to double without a deal?

13. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Drugs.

Guns.

FREEDOM!

Pønch and American Brummie repped this.
  14. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    [​IMG]

15. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    The curse of liberal good intensions. No snark, that is the honest truth.

16. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think they're linked -- it's just that the Farm Bill expires (with it's price supports for dairy farmers) around the same time so the the issues are getting conflated. I think.

MasterShake29 repped this.
  17. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, ok. Government milk subsidies make that much of a difference? I had no idea.

18. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Yep, without federal subsidies milk would naturally be $8 ********ing dollars a gallon. My head hurts.

19. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, I indicated I had no idea what was going on, so I asked a question. Why don't you explain for me and anyone else who might be interested.

20. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    So you would rather had paid $8 for the last 40 years?

21. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Sounds to me as if the GOP is demanding very large concessions from Obama in exchange for the (very modest) agreement to raise taxes on incomes above $450,000. I'm guessing this officially ends the election honeymoon between the President and progressives.

Ah well, the sun is shining, its 45 degrees, off to see Watford host Charlton. You Yanks can rot.

22. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    FTR there were no taxes raised. While additional revenues may have been raised, a cut was rescinded. That is different than an increase, I know that all the news outlets reference it as an increase but they often take liberties with rhetoric that give incoorect impressions.

fatbastard repped this.
  23. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    +1

:ROFLMAO:

This is why we need deflation so everything including wives gets cheaper

24. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    [​IMG]

25. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It might not be $8 a gallon, but it would be more expensive than it is now. If it was just something that dairy farmers produced and sold, it would cost whatever the market would bear. But they get welfare from the government, so it makes milk cheaper for the consumer.