Fire Warzycha, 2013 Edition (Vol. 1)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by NC Soccer United, Dec 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back on Nov 20...

Bunch of us knew this was coming.

Anyone get the sense this is like watching a beloved family member (the Crew) fall on their own sword?

2. Swellster

Swellster Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Dallas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It is like having a brilliant, but drug addicted relative screw up time after time. You schedule multiple interventions and they never show up. Eventually they hit rock bottom and turn their life around. Either that or they move to Las Vegas and die in a cheap hotel.

3. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is colossally stupid from Robert. You are hanging on to your job by a thread. The pink paper is being cut and you bring in your recently cut son for a trial, which means that your son is now competing with other players for a job. How can you guarantee that when the decision is made that it will be fair? How does this help either you or your son or the club you manage?

Does Robert Warzycha have any idea the pressure he is under? Is he trying to go the Full Andrulis?

soccerusa517 repped this.
  4. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel bad for Konrad. He might be good but he really needs to be exceptional or he is going to wear the "coach's son" title as long as Warzycha is around. That sucks.

5. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which one? ;)

6. JayFunkeyFresh

Jul 10, 2004
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point, I'm thinking he has no idea. And maybe he really isn't. Has anyone seen/heard anything that would suggest the FO sees his job as even slightly on the line?

7. djtrinidad

djtrinidad Member

May 30, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Obviously, as much as I wish this was the case, are we sure Bob is hanging on to his job by a thread? I hate to say it, but obviously, I think he is safe for this season-I do not see the responsible Crew FO doing anything. Obviously, I hope I am being not responsible and wrong but I obviously don't see anything from the responsible Crew FO that leads me to believe they are less than satisfied. Obviously, they think he is somewhat responsible, and therefore is doing a solid job.:sneaky:

ZipSix and foozer repped this.
  8. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I unfortunately completely agree. And this saddens me greatly. If you can't see the issues with this club going on right now, they're suffering greatly from an ostrich syndrome

9. foozer

foozer Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Indy
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't until the smiley face that I realized I was reading a post and not a Warzycha quote; what with all the obviouslys and responsibles.

10. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    I'll agree while I don't think he has a right to I think Robert feels pretty comfy in his seat.

11. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way McCullers said to me was "what if I told you 2012 was the low point and we would get better from here on out" when I asked him about Warzycha and his job safety. So to me that sort of indicates that if we slip even farther there will be no option. But conversely, does it mean that if we make the playoffs and wash out in the first round again, is that justification for keeping him?

12. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    I think so, I think that's the way they feel and I don't think it should. We need to win Open Cup or advance to the second round of the playoffs (not including the play-in game) for Robert to keep his job. Minimum requirements.

eboe repped this.
  13. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he brings in a boatload of people to compete for only a few spots, then it pushes everyone to trial to the best of their ability. The opposite scenario would be to only bring in a few people, where everyone would have less competition.

14. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the rate things have been, I'd be happy to win two USOC games. We probably won't win the USOC given the odds, so I MIGHT be happy not to win, if at least we can win a few games and put up a threat should we lose.

As far as the playoffs, I'm with you there. We gotta KO a couple teams.

15. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    But winning the Open Cup now gets you sweet sweet CCL allocation money, I want it. Try to win the damn thing I'm tried of the excuses after first round losses. We have had one good run where we lost to Seattle in the final other than that we've been garbage.

16. ZipSix

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If your son wins a spot, people will naturally think nepotism was the reason; it will sow discontent.

If your son does not win a spot, he is -- in theory-- taking up a spot for another trialist that could have used the opportunity. People will naturally think nepotism was the reason; it will sow discontent.

17. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just can't fathom either side of this familial thought

1) What is RW thinking? You have to know nepotism is going to be thrown out there, start to finish. That, and if it comes time to release him, do you delegate that out or do you deliver it yourself? It just seems cold either direction. But why would you put yourself in that position?

2) What is KW thinking? You have to know nepotism is going to be thrown out there, start to finish. That, and if you make the team, can you really have a true bond with your teammates? Why would you not just drop a level and look to get on with ANY other team than the one your father coaches? You know he's gonna get grief too?

18. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    In Jardy's article before last did anyone else feel like Bliss was trolling Robert?

On where Viana will play:
    On how we will utilize Oduro:
    To me Bliss is saying look I helped build this team but I don't have a say in how the players are used. If we underachive this year I think Bliss is going to be the first person in McCullers office lobbying for Robert's job.

SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  19. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Can we not play a diamond? Please?

20. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Exactly.

21. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    I used to think the diamond was dead, but I don't think so anymore. You just need the right personnel. The focus is always who is at the tip of it. But I think you could chuck any creative player in that spot, and they'd love it. Look at how Mapp played against us up in Montreal last year when given the chance. Mapp for chrissakes.

So, that's the easy part. The key is the guy sitting at the base, it takes a special player. Beckerman is the best local and recent example, he's been doing it for years now. Off the top of my head, Alonso and Juninho can do it, too, but they're better IMO with someone alongside of them. Most DM's are these days.

That's why Sanchez is intriguing at DM, it could well be that having someone sitting alongside of him might actually be a waste, you could have destroyer Danny or offensive minded Tchani, but hopefully we shouldn't need either of them. Eddie's a classic carrilero on the right, a la Ramires, but we don't have one on the left. So we might look unbalanced but Viana might give a little flexibility on that side.

22. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    The key for me is the full backs. No width no chance

23. ZipSix

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to Konrad for surviving the first round of cuts this spring!

24. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    my guess is it's one of two things

1) He is a serious contender for a spot on the squad
    2) he is using his contacts within the game to train throughout the off season (remaining fit and "sharp") with the intention of going elsewhere.

25. Dominican

Dominican Member

Nov 11, 2012
    Reynoldsburg
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding #2: Wasn't there an earlier post where RW indicated he wanted to give KW a little more time because he wasn't all that sharp having not played much with KC?

Seemed to me at the time he was giving KW an oppurtunity he wouldn't have extended to a player not named Warzycha. No way of knowing RW's motivation. I'm purely speculating.