Fire Warzycha, 2012 Version 1.0

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by NC Soccer United, Mar 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking about this earlier today, and came up with the same thing. He's here for next year too :(.

2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't say that quite yet. If we don't make the playoffs this year AND start horribly next year, say 1-3 wins in 6-8 games, he'd probably feel some heat. Throw in a disaster of "a long way to go to make the playoffs and a short time to get there" combined with fans staying away... he's here through next summer, at least.

We need to remember that during the last days of a previous coach, the boos were coming from all over. I remember one game when I was in 137, hearing end-of-game boos from the 106-108 area. The fans in the north end also did a "If you want _____ to be fired, clap your hands" chant, and a LOT of people joined in. He was also booed during pregame intros to the point where the PA guy would go to the next name very quickly, almost to try to drown out the boos.

Right now, we have a small, small portion of that. If things slide further down, rather fast, I'd say anything could happen. Obviously, we don't WANT that, but I'd say his job is safe, at least for the time being.

3. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to point out before Chicago's game today that even if we get all six points out of our two games in hand against Chicago (currently, the last playoff spot), we would STILL be out of the playoffs.

#sackwarzycha

THOMA GOL, cam5fc and eboe repped this.
  4. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    You know it sucks to be this cynical, but Urso's passing has given RW just the excuse he needs for the remainder of the year.

"I thought the team played well this season through adversity of many injuries and with Kirk's passing." "We were never able to fully recover from that loss"

...hate me cos I am right.

eclipse02, Jim Bach and THOMA GOL repped this.
  5. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and ******** the prom queen." -The Rock (film)

eclipse02 repped this.
  6. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow that is very cynical! Can we call you Cynical Crew? I will be very surprised if Warzycha says anything like that after at most the LA game for two reasons. While I think RW is not the coach for the Crew to get through the playoff to the Cup, he seems be a good guy who would not stoop that low.

7. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think he's talking about the LA Game. I think he's talking about the year in genearl. And I agree with him. It will be an excuse. Directly, or indirectly.

JayFunkeyFresh repped this.
  8. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we miss the playoffs this year, which is looking likely, and given the team that Robert Warzycha was handed in the 2008-2009 offseason I think it would be hard for any person (outside of countrymen Piotr Nowak) to have done a worse job as head coach.*

Consider that the Warzycha led Crew have:
    • Consistently declined in position in the league by each season's end;
    • Consistently failed to defeat lower-division opponents in late team owner's namesake tournament;
    • Consistently failed to advance in the playoffs;
    • Consistently failed to deliver entertaining, free-flowing soccer
    *In fairness to RW, he has not said that an opposing player should be "sent back to Africa" or haze his players, or deny them water during practices. Nor has he shipped out any fan favorite players. (Just kidding, he did do that.)

BG13, Aaron d, HardHatMike and 1 other person repped this.
  9. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know you were heartbroken when we let go of Kevin Burns, but you have to move on at some point.

Aaron d repped this.
  10. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not even gonna hate, cause it's true. We've seen RW go all season and all previous seasons without blaming himself. This would be another way to re-direct the finger point once again.

11. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    What about RW instills confidence in you that he would NOT make an excuse like that?
    ...there was the injury issue, then Julius James in the open cup, and Vargas (or Meram i forget) not being responsible, and and and...

Through it all, RW says "I thought the team played well but.." look it up, he has that sentence down to a broken record.

12. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can go back season after season to see history of this. Start in 2009 after the loss to RSL in the playoffs and move forward.

13. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure but using a death as a excuse is like Nowak-level callousness. I don't think he is that bad. I might be wrong but if that is the case I think the FO would have more of a reason to fire him.

14. JayFunkeyFresh

Jul 10, 2004
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But see in Robert's mind it's not an excuse. He's not using the death, he's simply stating the facts that the team couldn't recover from X, Y and Z.

15. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We were 30 minutes away from victory, and I stood one foot from the man later, but I still want to fire the Rifle.

He basically played for the tie. And then went on t0 say that three points were not the most important thing last night. I mean, I understand getting back out on the pitch and processing tragedy, but I expected the boys to turn it into a catalyst, a fire in their bellies. Instead, after Keane scored, it was like a pinprick in our collective balloon.

16. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some guy named Higuain did some stuff as the Crew suffered to a tie and I still want to fire the Rifle.

17. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    The Houston game is an example of why we'll never get anywhere with Warzycha as coach. He had the team come out strong and pressure high and Houston had pretty much nothing in the first 15 minutes or so. Suddenly we start dropping off the pressure and Houston took it down the field and we were trailing 1-0. And people can blame Gruenebaum as much as they want but if we didn't stop playing when we have a one goal lead, we then wouldn't be exposed to mistakes like this one. A 3-1 game would turn into a 3-2 win instead of losing two points. Higuain came out on fire and then the team was reigned in after they took the lead. We had 3-4 chances over the last 20 minutes or so.

crewfan_in_columbus repped this.
  18. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't like the O'Rourke sub.

I also didn't like that we started the game without our best available 11 on the field.

19. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being a pu$$y is for the faint of heart

20. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree there is a mentality to this team where they drop back and play defense first when they get a lead. Thing is though, it's not like I see Robert telling everyone to drop back after the get the lead. In fact, I saw him telling players to push forward. It's possible there is be something about his coaching that causes the players to do so, which would be pure conjecture, but it's not like he's directing them to do so during the game.

DAK77 repped this.
  21. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to play devil's advocate with this, directing them to do this in-game isn't something that necessarily has to happen. This is a mentality that is coached throughout a season. And if we've been playing not-to-lose a lot of the season, trying to push forward in a game is a lot more difficult to switch gears up to.

But you're right. it's pure conjecture. We aren't in the locker room, we aren't in team huddles during practice. The only thing we CAN go by is what we've witnessed a lot of this year... and that is a lot of pull-back when we happen to take the lead in a match... even at home. If the pull back didn't exist, I'd venture to say that we'd have more than 2 goals in multiple matches this season and not just zero.

DGA57 repped this.
  22. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To the immediate few posts, something that has not been mentioned is a "fear of failure".

If players have a fear of making a mistake (fear of repercussion, fear of reprisal, etc), they will be less apt to take chances and play the "safe" ball which is 99% of the time, square or backward. If the team subconsciously shifts into this mindset, then it's no wonder we have a hard time maintaining the lead in any game.

DGA57 and jackmann repped this.
  23. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    I don't think all of it is coaching during the game, although some of the tactical changes come from the sideline. You don't see them switch from two forwards pressing high to Arrieta chasing around blindly without that change coming from the sideline. Unfortunately, it's probably more of what the previous posters have indicated. It starts in practice and translates into what happens in the games. When you constantly hear about players needing to improve defensively, and defense this and defense that, then we know we have a mentality that errors need to be minimized and we'll cede possession, bunker down and play to get a goal and no more. It's like there's a 2 ton elephant on the team's shoulders (monkey and gorilla are a bit small for this) every time they take a lead or are tied in the second half of a game.

By the way, the four times this team has had a two goal lead, they're 4-0-0 (allowing only one goal in four games when up 2-0). I wonder why the man loves the one-goal margin so much with these results.

24. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually agree that this is probably the best explanation (e.g. taking chances thought to be too risky when winning are might not looked well upon in game review). But that's pure conjecture as to a cause that makes sense to me which would translate to what we see. I probably should have said "likely" instead of "possible" in my post above. I stated my point because it seems like people think Robert literally plays not to lose.

25. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States