Fire Warzycha, 2012 Edition (2.0)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by KCbus, Sep 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MM may bank his career on RW. If he holds onto RW I think he's risking some of the 30% increase that have been brought in for season tickets. Some may not stay.

This will especially be an issue if we miss the playoffs. If we miss the playoffs and he hangs onto RW your breakdown probably shifts to this:
    ON - 100% period
    OFF - still 100%

2. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's fair.

3. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure this is fair, as I don't believe Mr. McCullers can fire The Rifle any time he wants.

If you recall, he was more or less openly desperate to can The Bearded Vagina (AKA Zippy the Pinhead) but Hunt Sports wouldn't let him until the situation had deteriorated to near-disaster.

I'm reminded of one of my favorite Crew stories, about the night the Crew was playing a nationally televised match and The Drooler found himself standing in the tunnel next to Clark Hunt prior to the introductions.

The Brainless Wonder thought he'd make a joke, so he said to Clark: "Will you still love me if we lose tonight?"

Hunt replied: "Yes, Greg, I'll still love you. I'll MISS you, but I'll still love you".

Sadly, the team won and Old Shit for Brains stuck around for a while, but when he was finally replaced the order came from Dallas, not Velma Ave.

Bottom line, while McCullers certainly has some input I believe the decision has to be made by HSG.

4. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    So who offered a contract extension last year mm or hsg? We could have been rid gracefully.

5. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I'd imagine that MM urged HSG to extend Robert. Since we had a ready made replacement in-house in Bliss, extending Bob was a choice not a necessity. The pro-Robert argument would be that he has a winning career record in MLS unlike many other coaches. The anti-Robert argument would be that his team has gotten worse each season he's been in charge.

6. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    in essence he was a safe choice. not a major ******** up, but a gradual slide to ******** up city?

7. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bill, I disagree. I think that when Nee was canned, HSG was more on top of it then because MM was pretty new to the role. You're talking 7 years later with some pretty big successes in running the club (and a couple flops too). Overall, I want to believe that it's in MM hands. Maybe I'm being delusional. It'll be a question that I'm sure to ask if things turn out the way I'm expecting them to.

Derek, you're right. It was a safe choice. It certainly wasn't a Massive choice.

8. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.dispatch.com/content/blogs/covering-the-crew/2012/09/duka-returns.html

This is what is so idiotic about RW. What he is saying without saying here is that Duka is the only one on the team that gets figured out on the pitch? Maybe with the exception of Birchall and Miranda who get subbed out often as well. It doesn't make any sense.

We've seen Williams get found out at LB at some points every match, but Vuko never comes in. But, Jardy's tweet yesterday with RW citing "discipline" as the reason Vuko never plays I guess covers him there?

Arrieta gets found out very damn quick too. That backline abuses him on the offside trap. So why isn't he subbed out for someone who won't force an attack dead every 5 minutes?

I see something in this a bit deeper. Why does it make sense to go to the locker room? I still think his temper was boiling there and had to get away. Not that would I blame him a whole lot really. He's been an effective and creative player on the pitch for a lot of matches and there are times the team misses him the moment he is subbed off.

9. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Judging by his comments in Jardy's blog today, Bob is losing it.

ZipSix repped this.
  10. foozer

foozer Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Indy
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.dispatch.com/content/blogs/covering-the-crew/2012/09/moving-on-from-chicago.html
    I'd say Danny doesn't contribute to the attack as much as Birchall, too many of his passes have gone backwards, and his first touch has led to turnovers in recent games. This is also subjective, but Birchall was the one playing that role in our 7 games in 3 weeks stretch and I thought we looked more dangerous in those games than we have in our last two against NY and Chicago. Finally, perhaps Warzycha just didn't communicate this well (as he has done plenty of times before), but he sure makes it sound like that position is Danny's unless he's injured. That seems to go against his 'X number of players who are all capable of starting' meme.

11. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

At least RW's point of view / answer is logical. I feel slightly better.

I disagree with him of course, but at least it wasnt a "O'rourke is responsible" or "He sees the ball so he plays the ball" answer.

foozer repped this.
  12. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THIS! Why are we in the playoff race? Not because of Birchall, obviously, but because as a team we were more dangerous with the pieces that were out there.

Uh, you're math sucks too. That's 6 points. ;) I know, it's hard.

Yeah, bang up job so far Bob. Coach of the year quality shit for sure.:rolleyes:

13. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Back in 05, I participated in Andrulis Out! and MM met with us several times. He was relatively new to the GM role then but we didn't have any doubt that he agreed with us that Nee wasn't doing even an average job, despite being named MLS coach of the year the season before. It was clear to us that HSG lagged MM in wanting a new coach. When we met with John Wagner, he was non-committal and played devil's advocate, pointing out the supporter's shield and unbeaten streak in 2004.

14. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    So what did Birchall do wrong when he was playing? I think since he joined he has been getting better and better. Is he inferior to DoR?

15. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

foozer repped this.
  16. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    my thoughts exactly...?

Skeleton Crew repped this.
  17. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Starting to think that DoR has a clause in his contract that says when he is fit he plays

18. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    When Danny scores We Riot!

19. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel bad for Jardy. He has to write down all the inanity that drips from Bob's mouth.

Psycho_Derek repped this.
  20. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    I don't get the "found out" remark. tRR was found out in about 2009 but he still managed to play often and full matches.

foozer and KCbus repped this.
  21. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum in Praxi

Because that is when it would apply for RWicus.

22. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lost in translation perhaps
    [​IMG]

23. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soooo many things to pick on. My head is exploding.

24. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Posset nobis esse bonum, sed . . .

25. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Possit; ubi Guillermo est? First, MM/HSG needs to bellum gerere with Warzycha. It seems Bobby W. has sub jugum-ed this team's potential.