Fire Sign Chris Rolfe! (was Striker Signed)

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by milicz, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Re: Striker signed (Chris Rolfe is back!)

I'm a big fan of this move. I love Chris, the player. It might fire up those old debates, however, that I thought his best potential position is behind the strikers as a No. 10, but we clearly have one of those now (just like we had Blanco). Let's see what Frank does with him. He could work very well with Oduro because he is great at distributing the ball when playing up high.

2. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Re: Striker signed (Chris Rolfe is back!)

Back to the Future!

[​IMG]

3. Andy Zilis

Andy Zilis Member+

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochelle, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interested to see who goes to the bench. I'm guessing Nyarko, but I think I'd rather see him on the wing with Pappa on the bench.

I hope he's still the player we remember.

4. lurak

lurak Member+

Aug 24, 2007
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Maybe Pardo goes to the bench with Pause in his place. I noticed that there were a couple of occasions where Pause dropped deep while Pardo pushed forward. Pardo has looked slow out there and is not exactly young anymore.

I wouldn't mind this lineup:

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Oduro, Rolfe, Pappa, Grazzini, Pause, Nyarko, Segares, Friedrich, Anibaba, Gargan, Johnson[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

5. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'd be surprised if Rolfe starts right away. this is a completely different Fire team than the one he left 3 yrs ago, both in players and match strategy

6. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    He's 29. I remember reading a great article (one that I wish I would have kept) that hypothesized that all athletes reach their absolute prime at 28. It is the combination of brains together with retained physical attributes that are not yet on the decline that produce the optimal performance at that age.

It really was uncanny if you look at virtually every career. Jordan was 28 in 1991, spanning the first two championships. He was at a point where he was still devastating driving to the rim but had started to develop a jump shot (right Craig Ehlo?) Joe Montana was the NFL's highest rated passer in 1984 and 1985 and was super bowl MVP in 1985 at the age of 28. Tiger Woods held the Tiger Slam at 27 and into 28. It goes on and on. Guess how old Clint Dempsey was for the first seven months of this season. :D

Now, many of these and others maintain a level very close to their peak for 2-3 or even 5-6 years. Montana, for example, was at his best at 28 but was still winning mvps and super bowls in the late 80s. Michael went on to lead the Bulls to 4 more championships.

So, at 29, Rolfe should still be at his absolute peak or close to it. Of course, he has had some injury problems that can be the wild card here, but if healthy, I don't think we need to worry if he can be what he was before.

7. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    And in success. We need better players playing. He is better than many we currently have playing. He should play.

He's a smart guy. He can step in and play. For one thing, he won't have to deal with a roving center mid like Blanco. Playing with Grazini might not be quite as effective, but certainly easier.

Edit -- to simply add that I am really tired of the excuses we always fire up for why our signings can't play. They need fitness. They need to learn their teammates. The truth is that players sign all over the world, and many of them jump right in and play very well with new teammates and a new system.

Chris Rolfe is a professional. He has played with Pappa, Segares and Pause. He can play right away. No more excuses. I was so frickin high on the Robayo signing and so disappointed that he rides the bench. I'm tired of this. Other teams actually sign players who play. I thought we were getting away from the excuses when Pardo and Grazini both stepped into their roles pretty quickly.

8. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Excited. Rolfe will find a place on the field because he's technical and dangerous. He can contribute either in the hole or from the wing.

9. snkscore

snkscore Member+

Jun 24, 2007
    La Grange, IL
    Awesome news!

10. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Awesome! I love this. Was always sad to see Rolfe go.

I like this a lot. This might be our best line-up. I'm still hoping that Pardo is just shaking off the off-season rust, but he has looked really old so far.

11. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is better.....

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Oduro,Rolfe,Pappa,Grazzini,Pardo,Nyarko,Segares,Friedrich,Anibaba,Gargan,Johnson[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

12. PhantomTollbooth

PhantomTollbooth New Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Appleton, WI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Now I'm excited about this season. Time to win some silverware.

13. djaeb2000

djaeb2000 Member

Jun 6, 2000
    ~~~Arsonists~~~
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Lets hope he's not Segares V2.......

14. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Let's hope he is Razov V2.

15. Andy Zilis

Andy Zilis Member+

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochelle, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was trying not to explicitly bring up Segares, but he's been something of a disappointment since he re-joined the team. You can argue that injuries had something to do with it in his case, so I'm hoping for the best with Rolfe.

16. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So, when Europe breaks them, we take them! Nice signing policy.

A healthy Rolfe would be great thing for this club. I was sad to see him go years ago. Did he learn anything in Denmark beyond how to score at the bar in broken Danish?

17. I PINCH!

I PINCH! Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Chicago IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Striker signed

That would require us to actually spend some serious money, which despite Hauptman saying he would, is highly unlikely.

18. snkscore

snkscore Member+

Jun 24, 2007
    La Grange, IL
    Same here.

19. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When he wasn't injured he had some decent production in Denmark.

20. Rulas

Rulas BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Love the new signing. I wonder how long it will take him to re-adapt to the league. Hopefully, we don't have to wait too long. Kenny Cooper had a crap season last year, but is kicking ass this year.

21. ionprovisioner

Nov 23, 2003
    Flint, Michigan
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Chris will hit the ground running - I've watched a couple of his appearances with Aalborg in the last year, and he's been very good. He always combined well, but it's at another level now. I think we'll be seeing him playing some of Grazzini's trequartista role when we're pushing for a goal. And his shot is still that heavy, dipping, quick-trigger thing that always gets the ladies lathered up, heh.

It's the injuries, man - he seems to very seldom drop form while playing. Instead, he'll gradually gain steam over a run of games, then little problems start to niggle at him, and you can see the difference right away. His body just isn't crazy durable like modern football demands, so I doubt these problems are going to disappear. He'll get hurt, and we'll agonize over it. But he's awesome, so it'll be less "when is he ever gonna play" and more "damn I wish we had us some Chris Rolfe in here today."

I said over and over, during Rolfe I, that the dude is a striker, not a winger, and that he needs to play up top. It goes without saying that Chris has spent three injury-plagued but productive seasons in Denmark playing on the friggin' wing. Does that cause me to re-evaluate? Hell no! If I've learned one thing arguing on the internet, it's the value of a timely double-down.

Chris Rolfe is a striker! I hope I'm proved right.

22. Rulas

Rulas BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I hope you're right too. I'm getting tired of seeing our gameplan consist of hoping our forward outruns the other teams defense lol

23. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rolfe had a great season last season and a solid first half of this season. He's currently on a bit of a poor form. There was talk of AaB having to get rid of him after last season, i want to say due to financial reasons but they ended up keeping him. Either way, i'm not concerned.

He was hardly broken in Europe. When healthy, his stint in Europe was a mild success. He had a great year last season and a solid start to this season.

At AaB he was utilized as a LM. Became quite serviceable too. Scored goals and assisted as well.

Solid post Ion.

AaB used Rolfe as a LM, so we'll have to wait and see what Klopas does.

24. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Is Denis coaching AaB? I thought he was the only idiot who would play Chris in a wide midfield role. ;)

Seriously though, one of my concerns of playing him at striker is his size and durability. I also think he is at his best taking shots from the top of the box or making runs from deeper. I've always thought his game could develop into a similar style to Nowak.

It will be interesting. He will probably be listed up top with Oduro but will he play withdrawn and centrally or more of a guy who attacks from the wide spots like Patrick. I have some concerns that he and Grazini will get crossed up a bit if Rolfe naturally drops a little deeper like he often does.

Snarkiness aside, I think Denis played him wide because he ( like AaB) didn't see him as an outright striker and because we had Blanco in the middle of the park. Frank will face a similar issue. Can't wait to see him out there and how it all shakes out.

25. sWo97

sWo97 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rolfe ended his time here as a RM. I'm assuming most of the time he's been playing ST for AaB?
    Still, he's a lot better winger than Nyarko since he possesses the ability to cross the ball proper and he always had some tricks up his socks.