Fire ownership: We'd spend Keane money for right DP

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Stogey23, Mar 19, 2012.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    We could probably fill up Soldier field for the rest of the season if they sign him and hype it up on Univision, Telemundo, etc.

2. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I will go to my grave believing and claiming that they did not hype it up enough with Blanco.

bunge, burningfire, xtomx and 2 others repped this.
  3. thnkucomeagain

thnkucomeagain Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    At least the team could sell out a game or two... I agree though

4. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because Dollar Menu thought that his name alone was enough. It was the first year 2007, if he just put a little effort into to we could of sold out every game during Blanco's era.

That would take putting some money towards marketing to the team, which he did not.

LocoGueroFutobolista repped this.
  5. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I couldn't have said it better myself. The player that sells himself doesn't really do the selling. The only person Andi has spent money, effort, and time promoting is himself. Oh, and Castillo.

6. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I agree, Blanco was a legend and incredibly marketable. That said, I do think they tried, at first. He was everywhere after joining the Fire in 2007, commercials, Best Buys, etc. Part of the problem was that it was so far into the season that we unable to fully utilize him. They should have done a regular "countdown" during the first half of the season.

After 2007, there was not much.

I also don't think they promoted Hristo enough, either.

LocoGueroFutobolista repped this.
  7. seamuslush

seamuslush Member+

Jun 18, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I remember this Hristo spot...vaguely. Can't remember how often I saw it outside of game broadcasts.

I do remember seeing the fantastic Fireside chat spots from '99 often enough to think they must have made at least a mid size buy on some UHF stations.

8. Sparky98

Sparky98 Member

Jun 8, 2007

Granted you are talking about Hristo, but that seems to be part of the problem. They run commercials for the Fire DURING Fire telecasts. How about spend some money and advertise during EPL games on NBC Sports or UEFA Champions League games on ESPN? Or even during other sporting events. Sure it costs money, but don't trumpet spending so much money on advertising if it doesn't reach the intended audience - that is, if Andy and his lemmings KNOW who their audience is.

9. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Of course they do. They put up a billboard in Wrigleyville! They own the conversation!

Winning a World Series once a century is HARD.

10. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Actually, it's really easy. You don't even have to try, just let time go by..... almost 8 years and counting since our last meaningful trophy! :)

11. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Bring back Blanco if only to take 90' penalties.

12. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes, they had Hristo in several commercials...and it was glorious.

But, like Blanco, they could have done so much more.

13. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    I don't see Yallop sticking around once it's clear he doesn't have the resources he needs to succeed. This club simply isn't going to function successfully until we have an owner willing to properly invest.

Mikebsiu repped this.
  14. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Understanding that you're probably drunk or tired at 3:30 AM, this tells me Yallop will be around a long time as he has ample resources at his disposal.

15. thnkucomeagain

thnkucomeagain Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Ample resources = no name shit South American DPs who can't even run for 10 minutes straight

16. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I don't recall if you read those arguments, but I've established that the resources were available, we just hadn't had any luck attracting a Keane Money worthy player. Give it time, it'll happen.

17. thnkucomeagain

thnkucomeagain Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    We've had nothing but time. Sitting the playoffs out almost every year gives you a lot of time to think...

xtomx and LocoGueroFutobolista repped this.
  18. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Liar. You linked to 6 rumors all of which claimed sums much lower than Keane money was offered for the players.

xtomx repped this.
  19. thnkucomeagain

thnkucomeagain Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nery Castillo has more eyebrow than Keane, so Nery > Keane

20. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    #2420 Chris M., Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    Give it time? You mean if Frank Klopas now identifies a player he wants, he should bring him to Andycakes? You see Lron, the people who he supposedly admonished to "bring him a Keane-like player" are all long gone now. They had time, and in your warped little reality, they apparently couldn't find a player (even if other teams had no difficulty doing that). So, the next time you have a quiet little moment with Andycakes, I would suggest that you float this idea by him. Re-state his pledge. Tell us all that he sat down with Frank 2.0 and told him to bring him a Keane or a DeFoe or a Bradley like player and that he will use HIS OWN MONEY to bring that player to the Fire. I'm sure we would all be comforted if the owner of the Fire repeated that pledge now that he has new people out there scouring the globe for that oh so elusive player.

xtomx and bunge repped this.
  21. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    I think you mean Yallop but the point still stands. I'm guessing Andrew isn't going to pay for a Keane money DP and I'm guessing Yallop wouldn't stick it out without the resources he wants so he can succeed.

22. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    No, I meant Klopas. That is who Andy supposedly made the quote to. Klopas is the one that I have heard completely unconfirmed rumors that did bring Andy at least one player like that. Lron said, "give it time. It will happen." No it won't unless Klopas is still bringing players to Andy even if he now works for Montreal. So, my point is, Andycakes . . . renew your pledge. Have a public town hall meeting where you get right up in Frank Yallop's grill and say, "bring me a player like Bradely or DeFoe. I'll pay for it!"

23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well he did buy the team at the end of 2007 (September). So I would imagine most marketing for 2007 was under the previous ownership.

2008 forwards, yes that would be on Andy.

Well that would be on Andy, sure AEG was looking to sell, so they invested on Blanco and marketing, then after they sold the team, Andrew did not invest in the marketing budget.

xtomx and bunge repped this.
  24. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    WARNING. I am responding to an iron81 post, so scroll through if you wish to ignore.

Nobody is as unlucky as you claim Hauptman is. At least before when you were making the "unlucky" argument about our on-the-field results, it was somewhat plausible. We missed the playoffs on a tie-breaker and hit the woodwork countless times. I would argue that we finished right about where you should expect based on our roster (either barely in or barely out), but saying we were unlucky was at least defensible.

But now you're no longer talking about the whimsical bounces of the ball. You're talking about human interactions and closing deals. "Luck" is no longer involved. Do you think account men or people in sales can get away with saying they were just unlucky when they can't close deals? It has been years since Hauptman spoke of Keane Money, and there have been no results despite "dozens" of attempts. That's not bad luck, that's being bad at your job.

Put that coffee down, Andy. Coffee is for closers.

Saeyddthe, firefan2001, ratdog and 5 others repped this.
  25. Keeper49

Keeper49 Member

Chicago Fire, AC Milan
    United States
    Mar 28, 2000
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been following this team since day one been to every home game but two and have witnessed how well the club was run in the early years. I've read most of your posts and have concluded that you really believe what you type but do you seriously expect those of us that have been here this long to believe this? Maybe your crap is bought by those only following the team for 3 or 4 years. Save it.

GHjelm, xtomx and bunge repped this.