Fire ownership: We'd spend Keane money for right DP

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Stogey23, Mar 19, 2012.

1. gramps, unless you spent keane money I have no idea what you're attempting to accomplish with this dick-waving excuse for a post

2. I PINCH!

I PINCH! Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Chicago IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    five bucks ;)

3. radmonkey

radmonkey Member

Oct 27, 2007
    The current owner is pretty terrible and I'm hardly their defender but beyond all that.

******** you and your 65 friends who only came to gawk at Donovan's bald head, Beckham's hitler youth haircut and Keane's spastic tumbling act.

Maybe if you'd bothered to invite them to a game vs Columbus or KC or hell even Red Bulls, they'd have seen a good game. But instead you chose to bring them out to see the circus without it's main clown and with the fire on short rest in the middle of a july afternoon.
    That's on you, as a long time fan of MLS you should know better.

Sunday afternoon games in the middle of july/august are almost always shit games to watch, both teams run out of steam about 60 minutes in followed by 30 minutes of ass-boring longball. It's like going to a home opener and complaining about the cold and wind upsetting your matchday experience.

Saeyddthe repped this.
  4. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    I don't want this to become so 'pat each other on the back' love fest because I PINCH defended me in a different thread, but I have to defend him here as well, radmonkey. I'm 99% sure I PINCH has been to more home and away games than most people here. Does that mean everything? Of course not.

Still, I feel like we've hit the mid-season malaise YET AGAIN, and our unrest with the team on the field and the FO in the offices adds up to in-fighting on the internet. Let's cut it off here while we still can.

I promise I PINCH is as dedicated to soccer in Chicago as any one of us. He has been sending warnings about ownership for a while and he's been largely correct. What do we as a fan/supporters base do next?

I suggest we don't kill each other. That said, I would appreciate it if I PINCH did more than some drive-by attacks, but he paid his dues. So now it's OUR time. What do WE do? Even if I PINCH didn't do enough, WE still have a chance to do more.

What next?

Previously I suggested Forlan. We didn't get him, although it looks like we could have. What's the next move of those of us who cares?

I would like to be the first to say it probably doesn't begin with attacking each other here. I probably begins with UNITING here. Let's unite with the Charter, the Ring of Fire and the Traditions we built over the last 15 years.

Saeyddthe repped this.
  5. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Two things. First on the field. People need to calm down a bit. We have been playing pretty good soccer. The best we have seen in a couple of years, anyway. We have played good with Grazzini and we have played good without him. This was one game. Let's see how we do this weekend before we all decide that we are in a funk ON the field. This team deserves our support. Under Frank, they are generally playing hard for the shirt and have a little leadership now in Freidrich.

Part 2. The FO is another matter. The transfer window is open and we are in a position to really contend IF we make the right move or two. Where are they? Iron81 (who I swear must be on the payroll but does seem to have inside information) has suggested that we have made offers to big names. He does this in a way of supporting that they are trying. I have no idea. But I know they are not succeeding. I also know that they have assembled a team that is largely going to be broken up at the end of this year. Pappa most definitely will be gone. Freidrich, gone. Pardo? Probably gone. Grazzini? Gone if he isn't already. Nearly half of our most important starters are playing for the here and now because they likely will not be around come winter and we will likely be back in the familiar old "rebuilding" phase.

So, how do supporters react? To be honest, Section 8 has built up something of a real asset in dealing with the front office, but only if they decide to use it. You have become a real revenue source for the club. In addition, Andy likes the show you put on. He likes to bring his friends down from the suite to hang with the crazy people for a cocktail and then head back up for the dessert cart to come by. If the supporters are dissatisfied with the club, you DO have some power because you DO sell a whole bunch of tickets for them. Here is a thought. You don't have to boycott a game, but how about if you go and just kind of disburse yourselves around the stadium. No drums, no horns, no songs, no Tifo. Just sit back, have a beer and enjoy watching the game in silence. Leave Section 8 basically empty. Let the front office know that this is a warning shot across the bow and that if they don't open up with information and if they don't act on improving the club when we have a real shot at winning, then step two relates to season ticket sales for next year.

By the way, as I'm typing this, I'm not necessarily advocating this. I'm not involved in your leadership and I sit comfortably up in the Skyway, so it's not my place to tell you what you should do or even what I think you should do. I bring it up simply because Ben asked what can be done. From a pure negotiating/leverage position, Section 8 does hold some cards. Letting Andrew know that the supporters are not happy and letting him see what a game looks like without Section 8 would be the strongest statement you could make.

I PINCH! repped this.
  6. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yep.

You can add Robayo, who I like more than most of you, and Johnson. I heard Johnson's contract is up this winter, though I suppose he's more likely than not to re-sign.

This team is in "win now" mode. With Grazzini on board, I was confident we had the horses to do it, but now Rolfe or Alex is going to have to step up.

7. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Section 8 Chicago's next meeting is tomorrow, maybe too soon to make a difference. But in response to Chris M's post, that IS a great place to make a difference.

And I'll reiterate, we are doing better this year than the past two. Up to our standards? No, but better than recent history.

8. RadioGonzo

RadioGonzo Member+

Nov 16, 2009
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet we could get this guy for Keane money:
    [​IMG]

Der Stich repped this.
  9. Der Stich

Der Stich Member+

May 3, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Is that Andy Garcia?

FloridaFC2MLS and ceezmad repped this.
  10. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is his 3rd season with the Fire. I'd be surprised if he was only signed to a 3 yr deal when the general rule of thumb is most are signed to a 4-5 year deal (perhaps its 3 and 1-2 option years). My guess is if Johnson leaves this winter it'll be on transfer rather then for free.

11. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pardo leaving would open up for 2 strikers over 2 dmids ;)
    Grazzini is gone, let's hope Alex pans out
    Freidrich has missed quite a few matches already and i've become comfortable with Berry and Anibaba.
    Pappa will be tough to replace. Although he hasnt been the most consistent, he is a creative player who shakes things up.

Biggest losses will be Grazzini and Pappa. Like i said above, lets hope Alex pans out, but will he be played as a replacement for Pappa or Grazzini?

12. I PINCH!

I PINCH! Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Chicago IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am just saying little whipper snapper that the peach fuzz around your balls belies your foolish willingness to support this awful owner and his shenanigan's

And its a big dick so if I wave it around thats my right to do so.. next time you bring 65 people to a game.. you let me know.. :)

13. I PINCH!

I PINCH! Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Chicago IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am trying to figure out exactly why who we were playing is a problem for you. If you dont like to watch a current member and captain of the US National team and and Irish national team and a former captain of the English national team in one game then I guess your right.. Who pays to go see top notch soccer talent, sheesh what was I thinking? :eek:

Two of the guys you mention obliterated our defense in the last twenty minutes of that game.

FYI the weather sure didnt seem to bother 32 year old Keane and 30 year old landon. Weather is a poor excuse when the visiting team sure seems to figure out a way to win 2-0 and almost 3-0.

yet Oduro whos 27 sure seemed spent.

We used to be the "other team" Thats the problem I have here. We used to be the team that finished on top regardless of excuses.

Bob Bradley used to say that blaming refs, weather etc for losses was a poor excuse for teams, I happen to agree.

14. sWo97

sWo97 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless theres talk of Euro clubs wanting Johnson, i think he'll resign. I always thought by 25/26 he'd go somewhere on transfer.
    Also he won't be GA anymore.

15. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    It's a poor excuse for a great team. For an average/slightly above average team it makes sense.

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had 30+ at the Columbus game (we are usually 5) is that ok with you?

It is the big tailgate we do every year with the families and other friends, so most of them won't be back this year but most of them will be back next year. ;)

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not much really, the team is not that bad.

I am still more upset with the exit of the US Open Cup this year than anything else.

My thing every year is CCL or bust, so we still have the SS, the MLS cup and the MLS cup runner up available.

18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am pretty sure he is not GA anymore.

Edit: Riquelme is available, rumor is that Boca Jrs will not resign him.

19. point me to where I said anything about the owner in this discussion grandpa, I think you're using that as a convenient excuse to distract attention from the hyperbolic horse manure you continue to spew as if anyone here cares about how many people you brought or your precious money spent. if you want recognition for that I'm sure the ticket sales department is hiring

20. I PINCH!

I PINCH! Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Chicago IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If I recall the reason you and I even started having a "discussion" is because you got bent about us "old guys" bitching about how poorly the current team and organization are run and you got upset about why we didnt support all things all the time about the Fire.. Well as a fan of this team, I am exercising my displeasure about how poorly the organization is run relative to past metrics.. ie trophies, attendance, revenues, team quality, and relevance on the Chicago Sports scene.

Since you dont remeber this.. In 1998 in our first season...in a semifinal game against LA at Soldier field we were able to draw nearly 40,000 people for a game that if it was held today we would be lucky to get 20-25k MAYBE 30k. So when some of us "old guys" say this stuff... We arent talking about stuff that happened in the 1950's It happened when you were just getting out of your diapers and started walking, which was 15 years ago..

These things are concerning to me because they are exactly what happened to the New England market with their cheap owner Robert Kraft, who seems to sort of care about the team only if its in the final... But like I keep telling Hauptman, your reaping what you sow..If you cant see the obvious Kraft and Hauptman similarities...(well that is if you can get past the jerk off session that goes on when he vists you guys in section eight and has a beer) then I dont know what to tell you.

Peter Wilt used to come down and say hi to us all the time.. and I love Peter but if you walked up and asked him who was one of the most annoying BBer's I am sure I would be near the top of that list. Why? Its because I was respectfully vocal about stuff I felt the team was not doing right.. That list wasn't anywhere nearly as long of a list we have now.I didnt use Peter being friends with me and the other fans as an excuse not to be honest with him about what I thought..sure it made things uncomfortable sometimes.. and I am sure he probably had a couple of choice words for me.. but in the end I respect the guy and I would hope he feels the same toward me.

If your too thin skinned and sensitive about me being a loud mouth on here sonny boy.. well thats just too bad.

BUT keep in mind.. the second Hauptman stops jerking everyone's chain on here and actually starts investing in this team, market and franchise the way it deserves, I will be the first to shake is hand and say well done, open my check book and buy some season tickets and spend some serious coin entertaining clients at games etc. Until then he can blow me.

So if you dont remember why we started having a "discussion" thats why.. because your too young and ignorant and dont know the recent days when this team and franchise were feared by visiting teams and we were the envy of MLS. Those days are gone and I blame Hauptman for that...

21. just like I thought, you can't prove shit

22. and by that I mean you sure are good at attributing a lot of things to me that I didn't say or do with zero evidence

meanwhile I've consistently held that you're an old timer looking back with rose colored glasses and I think your posts support that position well

23. TheButcher

TheButcher Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, if we win the East will you be satisfied with that? If we get to the Eastern Conference Finals will you be satisfied with that? MLS CUP Runners up? Where are you drawing the line for a "winning organization"?

Sometimes good and even great teams lose, ask the Miami Heat. This isn't FIFA12 set on easy.

If you don't want to go to the games and enjoy the team that's up to you, but part of being a sports fan is that you don't get to win every year. Sometimes the fun is just in going and hanging out with your friends and family and making that a personal tradition of your group.

The problem is no one knows what you want, I read your posts all the time, but until another owner steps up we got what we got. Toyota Park is here to stay, and those are the realities of the situation. You've chosen to sit back from afar and write on the internet about it, which is fine. I'm not sure Andrew or a future owner is reading these boards though...

Personal relationships are built over time, and if you haven't tried, or put in any time trying to talk to Andrew face to face, well, your point is moot. He's way more available then any other sports franchise owner in the 4 other "major" sports...Hell, even Garber will have a chat...

If I were you I would start looking in the mirror instead of through the window.

24. I PINCH!

I PINCH! Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Chicago IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Being Available does not equate anything for me... So what? so hes available.. whats he done for this team other then search and find cheap talent that hasnt done the job....

Heres what I want....

1. Invest in players that make the difference.. Not Grazzini or past it pardo or Chris Rolfe and
    Oduro... but guys that are actually game changers..Nowak was a game changer. Kubik was a game changer Stoitchkov a game changer.. Armas...Razov..Wynalda....the list goes on and on.

2. What I want is not to get our asses handed to us at HOME with a sellout crowd that played team WITHOUT its primary stars playing... What would have happend had beckham and Donovan been playing all game? We would have gotten throttled. That game was garbage because we have a team that's garbage... This isnt good soccer guys sorry. We have scored one freaking goal in four games. So please spare me the BS.

WIN THE EAST!? Are you high!?! Your equating this team to the MIAMI HEAT!?!?! If we had the MLS comparable of talent to that team I can say your comparison makes sense. But lets compare apples to apples here.. Not an over ripe Avocado to a turd. If we win the East Ill buy you a steak dinner.. The team we had out on the field on Sunday is about to take a losing streak in the ass that you havent dreamed about... Rolfe doesnt have it anymore.. This league has passed him by and it showed on the field on Sunday.. he got knocked off the ball all game. Oduro is revealing to us why Huston traded him.. hes a one trick pony who is about as big of a headcase as Chad Barret

I dont want an owner who says stuff like "ill sign a player with Keane money" when he clearly isnt going too and doesn't want too, if he had he would have.. We haven't had a DP that made sense for us in three ********ing years.. Yet is sure seems like most of the other teams in this league, except New England of course has been able to find and sign players of higher caliber than anyone on our squad.

All you have to look at is the willingness of any of our former Fire players... who all loved our teram and their unwillingness to come back here and coach or help the organization... That screams to me "this organization blows" It drives away all our tradition..

YOu do know that Hauptman was NOT invited to the AEG league wide ranch party the second year he was an owner. The Godfather of MLS did not invite him because Anchutz thinks he is a poor B list owner who is a very Horowitzesque. That says ALOT to me.. in fact it says everything to me.

he stepped into a shit situation and didnt make it better he cut costs and laid off soccer people and hired non soccer guys to run a soccer team.. The guy comes and has a beer with you and strokes you off... Your a classic example of the logic of why to "never hire your friends" because you cant see past the beer hug fest.. he smiles at you shakes your hand takes your money and then promises you that he will make the team better walks away and laughs at you...

I see that as a problem and you dont. A fool and his money are soon parted.

25. Der Stich

Der Stich Member+

May 3, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I read a report on the internet that dictators around the world are torturing dissidents by making them read this thread.

Threads like this are proof that our mods suck balls.