Fire John Hackworth [R]

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Tyr, Jun 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nowak was terrible in terms of managing and acquiring personnel but I think he was better at in game tactics than Hack (damning with faint praise to be sure).

lopezzzz and LuckyStriker repped this.
  2. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The replacement absolutely needs to be someone without any ties to the current organization. The best the current regime produced was a one and done playoff appearance. That simply isn't good enough for a team in the fourth largest media market in the country.

LuckyStriker repped this.
  3. Scottj10

Scottj10 Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Aug 10, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you look at Nowak's last 62 matches in charge (the same amount Hackworth has coached so far), he had 18 wins, 22 losses, and 22 draws, for a total of 76 points. If you look at Hack's 62 matches in charge, the Union are 21 wins, 24 losses, 17 draws, for a total of 80 points. Their performance is basically identical, and you could make the argument Nowak had fewer resources the first season than Hack did last season (despite the salary cap issues).

It's sad, but regardless of how poor Hack's performance is going forward, we all know he probably has more job security than the majority of MLS managers. Nick has incredibly high respect for Hackworth and I don't think he cares enough about winning to part company with him.

Tyr repped this.
  4. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People are still caught up on the F.O. hate? I think Sak is keeping Hack on a very short leash. The F.O. just spent a bunch of money this offseason. Why would they just let it go to waste?

5. Ascalz

Ascalz BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because if there's one thing we all know, its how much the team hates wasting money. Kleberson.jpg

Juan-Diego-Gonzalez-Alzate.jpg

Handsome Pete repped this.
  6. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They also fired Nowak in June when no one expected him to go until at the end of the season, if ever.

7. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hey, if anybody was going to steal people's money...............

8. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Wanted: Manager - MLS Club in the Philadelphia market will have a new and exciting opportunity available by Memorial Day. The right applicant will have : 1)Fluency in soccerly things, like formations and stuff. 2)Knowledge of positions and player deployment. 3) Strong budget management skills are required. Player acquisitions above budget require a business case. 4) Commutable to Chester Park. 5) Travel 50% required. 6) Public relations and media skills desired, but not required as media will not ask anything too stressing.

9. Doop

Doop Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure how I would feel about this one, but Jesse Marsch (sp?) is out there. Got a raw deal with Psycho Saputo up there and I believe has been plying his trade in the college ranks lately.

thomas19064 and TonyClarkDOOP repped this.
  10. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    #1110 ScottyMac26, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2014
    I thought he went on some family globe trotting trip a la Landon's Jungle Adventure. Agree he would be interesting, didn't think he did enough to get to canned, but tough to tell at this distance.

In unrelated news, Tom Sermanni has some time on his hands...looking around to "see what coaching opportunities pop up".

11. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still willing to give Hackworth a chance to improve things. Are the players, given the influx of a new midfield, still adjusting to each other? That said, I want to actually start seeing adjustments in tactics and substitution patterns which result in important changes such as goal production and holding leads late in games.

12. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of posters keep harping on the substitution patterns, and the subs themselves.............. So who would everyone bring in?? Who of our subs is a game changer? Ribeiro is not, he's an unproven rookie who's coming off an injury. Everyone seems to be in agreement that Hoppenote is not either. Fernandes is looking like an "Impact" Sub this season. On Saturday, who was realistically available to change the game/tactics? What, do you want to bring Berry in? And then do what Bunker? Fairly certain most of you HATE that strategy when playing with a lead...........

13. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's room for improvement when the strategy clearly hasn't been working.

LINETRASH and Handsome Pete repped this.
  14. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The situation didn't call for a game changer, it called for a game manager. Up 2-1 on the road and late, the game calls for someone to help them see it out. Lahoud for Casey (or LeToux but Casey looked gassed, this will continue to play out) and let SLT be alone up top. Lahoud is a safety valve. This weird obsession with Hoppencruz to "stretch tired D" doesn't ever result in points for the U. Neither of them can hold onto the ball, and maintaining possession is exactly what that team needed to do. Look, I feel kind of dirty just mentioning Lahoud, who is a poor man's Keon Daniel, but he could have helped. The other piece? Whenever a team is trailing and pressing to equalize they look for set piece opportunities. What will Hopp do to improve that? He's three apples high. So from a sub perspective, Hack didn't make the right choice. I got hopeful when Bone was coming on, that it was for Fernandes instead of Casey made me shake my head.

15. LINETRASH

LINETRASH Member+

Jul 19, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Against Montreal, we were a man up and the only tactic Montreal had left was long balls to Di Vaio....and still our backs were bombing forward and left him open for a long pass. All we needed to do was keep shape, stay organized and see out the game. The Chicago game was the same deal....but still they were able to get behind us. Possession has to mean something...it can't just be a 2014 Union tagline! If we have the ball, it makes it difficult for the other team to score, Hack's teams have a total disregard for possession...they turn the ball over like it's their god given right!! For all the good Carroll does, he immediately erases with horrible passes and we're hit with a counter. Saying all that, the substitutions do not change any factors in the game....If we're a goal up, why change a striker for another striker? Especially in the 80th minute! Put a DM out there instead and take care of the ball and play into the corners.....but most of all, TAKE CARE OF THE BALLLLL!!!

UnionTillIDie repped this.
  16. Amscray

Amscray Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Aug 24, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The correct answer is Not Hoppenot.

Ascalz, urchin, Phillyspur and 4 others repped this.
  17. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    How much hotter would Hack's seat be if Zac hadn't saved the penalty?

BuddhaWake and LINETRASH repped this.
  18. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who knows if he would be an upgrade or not. We really don't know what his coaching s
    Well, for starters, I would have brought in Berry for Wheeler as a sub. Not to bunker -- you still play the regular game try to push the ball -- but to tighten up the defense.

19. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nowak was also a lot better at drafting. I found the players below still playing professionally:

2010 - Okugo (MLS), McInerney (MLS), Mwanga (MLS)
    2011 - MacMath (MLS), M. Farfan (Liga-MX), Richter (MLS)
    2012 - Hoffman (MLS), Jordan (NASL), Gaddis (MLS), Hoppenot (MLS), Brandt (USL-P)

Hack's drafts:
    2013 - Okai (USL-P), Fernandes (MLS), Bentick (NASL)
    2014 - Blake (MLS), Ribeiro (USL-P), Marquez (MLS), Quinn (USL-P)

Blake rides the bench and I don't believe Marquez has even seen the 18 yet. That leaves Fernandes as the only Hack draft pick to see meaningful minutes.

So much for the best draft ever.

20. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    One, I was all over the comments of that link and two, Dan Anding isn't signed somewhere?!?!? You guys never said nothing!

21. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reality is that we have no idea. Sak won't make negative comments about his thoughts toward a current manager and at times seems unpredictable. We don't really know what he thinks of Hackworth.

22. drn99

drn99 Member

Jul 4, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other than Mwanga, Nowak never spent any time on the draft. They are all Hack's drafts. Four of the Union current starters are Union draft picks (would have been five if hey kept Jack). That's a pretty high percentage in MLS.

Oh...and Perk started for LA on Sunday so he should be on you list.

23. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Hack gets credit for any Nowak positives, still blame-free for any of the bad stuff.

Got it.

UnionDues and BuddhaWake repped this.
  24. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Like the time Piotr tripped over Sugarman's debt sheet in the boardroom and said "derp". Hack said,"ya know a pretty good goal song is kinda similar". And the rest, as they say, is hackstory.

25. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's rich! I'll just say that you're correct on Perk, another 2010 pick still in the league.