Fire John Hackworth [R]

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Tyr, Jun 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Enough is enough. Hack has clearly proven to us he is not a competent manager, and he will never take us anywhere.

1. He has a record of 13-16-8. He simply hasn't produced a winner on the team.

2. We have allowed the second most goals in the league behind Chivas. Under Hack, our greatest strength has become one of our biggest weaknesses. The lack of depth leaves us with no answers to this problem.

3. He is a liar. Hack has certainly not won good will with his countless lying to the fan base. It is laughable that we need a LB. Garfan is our LB going forward. Okai is the best passer of the ball in the draft and the most MLS ready player. Damani Richards is better than any LB in the draft. Roger hasn't earned a spot on the field. In fact, we the fans are too "blinded" by his good play to see he isn't as good as Keon Daniel.

4. He can't manage players. After the Adu and Soumare disasters, what player would want to come to Philadelphia to play for John Hackworth?

5. Our play on the field is laughable bad. Hack promised to play attacking, possession soccer. We have all seen how we played against OC and Toronto. We make a living playing smash and grab against the worst teams in the league. Then we get blown out by the top tier teams. We can't even compete on the same field as your Montreal's, LA's, and KC's.

6. Do we even have a plan going forward? Hack seems to be in over his head with no clear plan for this team. We have no creativity in the midfield, and his answer to it is loaning in an old Brazilian we will never sign and feeding Roger shrimp.

7. Hack constantly is outcoached in game. Is it a coincidence we can never adjust to second-half adjustments other teams make? Hack is always too late and too predictable with his subs, and it costs us.

8. Hack is not a talent evaluator. Casey has been his only legitimately good signing. However, we shouldn't forget about Stephen Okai, Bakary Soumare, Damani Richards, and Vidal. Even our trialists/draft picks are not good enough to make a bad, bad team without depth. What has Hack done to prove he is good at evaluating talent?

So what does this mean Tyr? What should we do?

Social media is truly a wonderful thing. I would encourage posters here to start tweeting and facebooking their criticisms to the team. When the official Union twitter or Facebook states we were unlucky, that a point against Toronto is a good result, or that Keon is a good player, call them out on it. Let the F.O. know your anger. Simply angrily ranting here won't change anything. Let's get "#FireHack" trending so the F.O. can no longer ignore our concerns. Remember, the weeks that preceded Nowak's firing the Union's social media platforms were bombarded with angry messages calling for Nowak to be fired.

For those at games, boo Hack. What has he done to deserve our praise and cheers? Boo him when he is introduced, and boo him after the game. Boo him especially on national television so the F.O. can have egg on its face on the national stage.

I know not everyone agrees yet with firing Hack, but let's try to keep the debate over him in "The John Hackworth Thread."

UnionDues repped this.
  2. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    John Hackworth's career MLS record with the Union as of June 2, 2013 (37 games, 47 points):

Year: W - L - T (PPG) - GF/GA
    2012: 8 - 11 - 4 (1.22) - 29/31
    2013: 5 - 5 - 4 (1.36) - 19/24
    Total: 13 wins, 16 losses, 8 draws (1.27) - 48/55

Peter Nowak earned 1.16 PPG in 75 games (21-30-24). Good for 39.4 points over a 34-game season.

onehandedtyr and uncleo repped this.
  3. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wikipedia. is out of date I guess. Thanks. Here's some rep.

4. kav138

kav138 Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I say we get rid of hack and sack. I would also add that players seem to be regressing under him ; is farfan or Williams better now?

UnionDues and BuddhaWake repped this.
  5. Yo-Joe

Yo-Joe Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Montco/Philadelphia, USA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I support firing Hackworth now. It is clear he is not of the caliber this club needs to make progress. There's no need to wait. A very nice man, and certainly stabilized the team post-Nowak, but to compete, there's no time like the present for the club to make the change.

6. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All excellent points. Sack Hack. Sack Sack (although a much more difficult task as part owner).

UnionDues and BuddhaWake repped this.
  7. Griffinsphooty

Griffinsphooty New Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    You don't know what you're doing! You don't know what you're doing! You don't know what you're doing!

Let's go River End, start it up Wednesday Night when Hackworth comes out!

8. SOwannaB

SOwannaB Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is not really an example of lying. Seems more like incompetence to me which is worse.

Hack's biggest flaw IMO is that he just hasn't created an identity for how we play. I have no idea what we're trying to do offensively most games.

uncleo repped this.
  9. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #SackSakFirst

10. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, where's my rep? :(
    [/RepWhore]

11. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Smart phones. :whistling:

There you go.

R1PP and derek750 repped this.
  12. D-Wall

D-Wall Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hackworth is shit. #FireHack

We were up a man for 50 minutes against the worst team in the league. Enough said.

Handsome Pete repped this.
  13. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    And so it begins. #sackthewholefnlot

TFC is hardly the worst team in the league at this point. Chivas USA, Chicago, and DC are all worse. However, there is no excuse not to beat TFC in any scenario if you are up a man for that long.

14. Billy Zabka

Billy Zabka Member+

May 4, 2006
    RoFo, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago w/Magee > TFC, agree on the rest

Unrelated, anyone still believing the Union as presently constituted are a playoff team just had their world obliterated by the Revs this afternoon. That is a good (until today) under the radar team they've put together up there.

15. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA

Still too early to draw any conclusions on Chicago with Magee (since the only game they have played with him in MLS competition is DC). TFC has thrown away a bunch of points with mental lapses late in the game (they have given up 8 points by allowing a goal in the 85th minute or later, and that includes two wins against us that they gave away in injury time). And I just posted about the Revs in the other Hackworth thread that NE is quite possibly a 2nd or 3rd place team if the offense has finally found their rhythm (almost level on PPG with SKC).

16. LINETRASH

LINETRASH Member+

Jul 19, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fire him....the play is horrible to watch, the fact he thinks Cruz and Daniel are starters in this league and for the fact that we can't compete with 10 teams in this league is ********in embarrassing!

17. UdiHrant

UdiHrant Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I absolutely understand the utter frustration that is being voiced here but have not yet given up on Hackworth. He 'seemed' like the right guy to take over from Novak, a stable, patient, player-friendly, youth oriented coach. If we had intended to build this team 'from the ground up' with young and local players maturing as a group then it all made sense for a while. I had looked forward to watching the Farfans, Williams, Torres, Magic Jack and Hoppenot get better each season as individuals and stronger as a group. It just hasn't happened.

What I don't understand about it is this - in an earlier post someone stated that Hack has 'lost' the players. In other words the players have no respect or desire to play hard under him. This I understand from a young player being bullied by Novak (Macinerney recently said that he was a few days away from calling it quits under Novak.) But Hackworth is unfailingly loyal to his squad. I would have given up on Macmath and Cruz long ago but Hack seems to give his young players every chance to play and grow even when they fail. I would think that this stability would be exactly what a Farfan or a WIlliams would want and need to progress in their game in their early twenties.

How is it then that he has 'lost' the team and Williams and M Farfan now play like they would rather be playing in some other city or selling cars for a living? I would like to understand this before giving up on Hackworth because without that understanding I honestly don't know what direction the team SHOULD be going in and just swapping coaches is shooting in the dark.

18. TonyClarkDOOP

TonyClarkDOOP Member+

Jun 18, 2010
    Oxford, United Kingdom
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You all are just jealous you are not the ones getting paid to throw out the same line up, draft terrible players, sign flops and still keep your job.

Nowak -> Hackworth - > __________

Do we really expect anyone better?

19. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm on board with this. Fire Hack and fire the guy who hired him. Bring in a manager from completely outside of the Nowak regime, as should have been done in the first place.
    There's a number of reasons for this, but I think it boils down to abject favoritism shown by this manager. Hack is not demanding that his favorites step up and play as if they deserve the position or face benching. Also, he is running his usual XI into the ground. He lacks the skill to properly manage the players. Consider how demoralizing it must be for a player such as Torres, who stepped up during the offseason exactly in the way Hack asked him to, to be rewarded with a spot at the shrimp buffet for his efforts. Consider why a player would be motivated when his starting position is a given, and there's no depth on the roster to keep him honest. Hack is sending a message, and the message is that those I like, start. Those that do not are never given a chance.

Handsome Pete and onehandedtyr repped this.
  20. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    My only doubt is that, with this cheap-ass FO, the replacement would only be someone cheaper and therefore even less competent.

Handsome Pete, DOOPist and Doop repped this.
  21. TonyClarkDOOP

TonyClarkDOOP Member+

Jun 18, 2010
    Oxford, United Kingdom
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rob Vartughian will be next manager.

22. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I almost added exactly that!

TonyClarkDOOP and Doop repped this.
  23. ImissTHEheat

ImissTHEheat Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Hack deserves a chance to finish the season given the complicated hand he was dealt with existing contract commitments and roster problems. The team is not playing its best right now but we are still in the hunt for a playoff spot. This is the roster he had assembled and these are his players - I don't think a mutiny mid-season is going to make us magically better this season.

I think on field leadership is just as big of an issue right now as leadership off the field. Gone are the vocal presences of Mondragon, Califf, Moreno, Coudet, etc. on the pitch. All of these players had short comings in their games but all were on field leaders. Who is filling that role now?

Conor Casey? Eventually, perhaps, but he is new and splitting time in the front line. Jeff Parke is as good a candidate as any as a lock to start but he is also new. Brian Carroll is the default captain and many here seem to question whether he should be on the pitch or not. And beyond that, we don't have many seasoned veterans seeing consistent time. I'm curious to see what Hackworth does in the summer window because a big part of this for me is also about who Hack is bringing in when the shots are his to call. Casey was a good acquisition and at the right price. Bringing Seba back was predictable but has paid benefits so far. Parke has played well. Love or hate Danny Cruz he's a match up problem we acquired in exchange for a forward who wasn't finishing his chances. I won't judge Kleberson yet (might be more fair at the end of the month) but Adu's contract is gone. Soumare's contract is gone too. We need to make some moves in the summer window to keep me satisfied - I favor keeping the manager (and the mysterious Ansaldi) through the summer.

24. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

On the flip side, firing Hack now would mean we can bring in a manager before the transfer window and let him right this ship.

25. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There would be value in that. The ownership will prove far too cheap to fire him, however. Remember that he has a three year contract. I think the most likely outcome is, regardless of (lack of) results, that he will finish out his contract and they will get rid of him at the end of it, unless he completely bombs out.

I still say he should be fired because his ceiling is mid-table. McInerney is basically saving his job as no one else is performing. Mac is motivated by his own ambition to be a Nat fixture. The other players are just mailing it in.