News: Financial stability offers selling point for MLS in transfer market

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Fiosfan, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 Fiosfan, Mar 1, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
    Flex Buffchest and pichichi2010 repped this.
  2. revsfan603

revsfan603 Member

New England Revolution
    Jun 20, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    ADO Den Haag
    Look at all the spanish players coming into the league this year. A huge part of it has to be players looking for Financial stability.

3. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    MLS offers more than that.

Incredibly diverse culture in most cities, safe environment for family relative to many other places, and media/general public that isn't super obtrusive.

The last one can be spun as a negative of course as the sport isn't worshipped here, but believe it or not, I have talked to many players over the years who look at that as a positive.

INKRO and Zoti repped this.
  4. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    I always come back to this piece on Diego Valeri and why playing in the US is appealing to many players.

5. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Raul and Puyol aren't coming to MLS until next year.

6. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    There are drawbacks to the US though ... Higher cost of living and it's far away from everywhere creating a travel dilemma to visit families back home.

Professionally it's also a bit of an island and a pretty small island at that. US clubs just don't partake in any prestigious international competitions where players can market themselves to new markets.

And another drawback is the MLS roster rules where you have to give up some of your rights ... like for example not having a say when you get traded around the league and having to move from city to city every season.

But certainly financial stability is a big issue in parts of Latin America. Also general social stability and safety. In the end MLS should be an attractive option to many that play there even despite those other drawbacks I mentioned. Especially CONCACAF players because they don't even have the lure of playing in the Libertadores.

I'm not sure we're at a point yet where we're a generally attractive option to players in a country like Spain. For those players there are many other options closer to home even if their current club is struggling. I think MLS is strong enough to pluck a few players here and there with some shrewd scouting. A big factor is hunting down players that have an affinity for American culture like Collin who view coming to America as an adventure. Also possibly looking for single men because in the past there's been problems with wives and children adapting or homesickness if the family stays behind.

7. ENB Sports

ENB Sports Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Martins made $1,725,000 last season - Not sure this says anything other than MLS will pay over market for a name they think people will recognize

Also I love all this Camilo "ha ha" talk with no mention that the MLS probably didn't get their transfer fee. So who looses out the most in the end the MLS.

8. Seaball

Seaball Member+

Oct 12, 2008
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The Sounders are the ones paying "over market" not the league. Also, I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make here.
    Or you know maybe the guy who's now not getting a paycheck like he used to.

9. ENB Sports

ENB Sports Member

Feb 5, 2007
    The whole article is about how MLS can compete in the soccer market because of certainty and the example is Martins yet they are paying Martins close to 2 Mil which isn't a deal and the only transfers MLS has done is over paying guys or giving players contracts who are not wanted elsewhere.

Camillo will get paid as he'll be a free agent now. In cases where players haven't been paid which is very rare the only players who end up getting screwed are the fringe players since any player with talent is free to join another club.

10. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Well then, VAN will still hold Camilo's "MLS rights" since the transfer fee they were do to receive never materialized, correct?

When Saturday Comes repped this.
  11. ENB Sports

ENB Sports Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Sure if he comes back to the MLS. My guess is he will go to Brazil and if he performs there he'll get a move and same money as he was offered in Mexico in Europe or more likely China. Unless some other Mexican team wishes to fulfill his current contract. Although the money owed to the MLS will be part of the bankruptcy and will probably be a lost cause.

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except if the Mexican team didn't complete the transfer won't his rights revert to MLS?

13. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    It's possible that they tore up the contract when all this seemed finalized. The dispute at this point is probably between the two clubs and Camilo goes back to being a free agent.

This is all hypothetical though. This seems like a fluid situation. This isn't a case of a club being bankrupt and not being able to pay. This is a corruption investigation that led to frozen assets. After doing a little research online the Mexican League has rules that he can lose his rights to operate the team and will be forced to sell if this doesn't get resolved. One month isn't that long of a time yet ... So far Queretaro's website suggests that the team is still operating normally and the players are practicing and playing their games. Camilo is still on the roster so any other assumptions are speculation at this point.

14. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another selling point and its really minor for some and pretty big for others is that players retain their image rights under U.S. law when they sign to play in MLS. Playing on the field, and using the players image for advertising are separate services in the U.S.

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're assuming that Camilo won't have to go back to MLS. Do you have any support for that theory?

17. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Come on people, STOP FEEDING THE TROLL.

AndyMead and Namrog The Just repped this.
  18. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    #18 Boloni86, Mar 2, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
    Probably the fact that he's listed on the roster and a quick google search in Spanish regarding Queretaro doesn't show any reports on any potential exodus of players yet. The most recent news I can find shows Ambriz holding training sessions as normal and preparing for their next game.

Seems to me like the real assumption here is the idea of Camilo being forced to leave. That would put the burden of proof on whomever is making that assumption.

19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The players have not being paid for 2 months.

FMF is looking into it, if Queretaro does not pay, then the league may have to settle with the players and Queretaro will be dropped from D1 after the season ends.

That would be good news to the teams at the bottom of the relegation table right now.

20. When Saturday Comes

Apr 9, 2012
    Calgary
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Tore it up? Yes because MLS doesn't employ any lawyers. The league isn't a lemonade stand. They have every contract ever signed since 1995.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  21. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    You know what I meant ... I don't mean physically tear it up.

When a transfer fee was finally agreed upon the old contract between MLS and Camilo would essentially reach a mutual termination. Camilo wouldn't have any debts towards MLS at that point. If Queretaro has not paid the transfer fee that was agreed upon that would be a dispute between the 2 clubs. I mean that seems logical to me ... Am I missing something? You can't still enforce contractual obligations on a player once you've sold them

If MLS wanted to keep an upper hand over Camilo they should have never agreed to sell. Camilo would of just lost a year out of his career. If Queretaro would of played the player while he was still under contract elsewhere I'd imagine FIFA would get involved

22. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Yup...from cases like this that I know of it would be between the two clubs and FIFA would make a decision, if one couldn't be reached, who owed who what.

Yes, MLS should have refused to sell, gone to FIFA, and screwed Camillo if they wanted to. They could have forced him to return, but would that be worth it? As long as the guy showed up to practice they would have to pay him, even if he didn't try hard, was a distraction, etc.

If the club filed a grievance the union would step and drag it out. Want that distraction?

If he refused to play than Vancouver would probably be screwed...they wouldn't have to pay him, but would MLS make an exception for them and allow,them to sign another player? Who knows?

Even if Vancouver didn't get their full transfer it is probably between the clubs. Camillo's rights probably don't revert back...this isn't some type of MLS deal here...it's an international transfer.

Still amused he isn't getting paid, and he probably won't be able to score as big of a contract as he just did.

23. looknohands

looknohands Member+

Apr 23, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Major pro:
    Never having to worry about getting paid on time

Major con:
    Having no guarantee that you won't be released at any time (excluding those players that "qualify" for guaranteed contracts)

24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is the vast majority of players once the season starts.

25. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any time before July 1st.